Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:20 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,773,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
Ok here goes the scenerio. You have already been married before and have done pretty well for yourself (have some kind of savings and a home that has a low mortgage and equity built up) Your able to take care of yourself. Now you have met someone and things are getting serious. Discussion of marriage and homes are being discussed. Do you ask for a pre-nup to be signed?
Absolutely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 07:55 AM

652 posts, read 2,659,464 times
I see nothing wrong with it. My dh and I kind of took a "business side" to it all right b4 the engagement, when we were discussing the possibilities of marraige. I had a house and a kid and he had a nicer house and more savings. We actually sat down and looked at both credit reports and bills. Then he asked for a pre-nup. We didnt have lawyers though. and ended up not signing one more because he was to cheap to get a lawyer.
anyway I had no problem with signing one, but he kept pulling up basic pre-nups off the internet that didnt work for us. someone signing the prenup has to be very careful. If I would have just signed it without really understanding I could have been totally screwed. he got real upset with me a few times but understood why I wouldnt sign. I think that was the first real test of our comunication skills, and how much we cared for each other to make sure both of us were protected.
anyway 8 yrs later we are still married.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:04 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,080,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
If I didn't trust someone with my assets....I wouldn't marry them.
This is the preferable way of thinking, but there are a lot of con artists and liars in this world. Look at what Heather Mills did to Paul McCartney or Kevin Federline to Britney Spears.

I know I am the type of person who would not actively go after a person to screw them out of their money. I would take what I brought in, a modest amount of what was earned during the marriage and if there are children a fair amount of child support. I don't think that 4 years of marriage should net a person several million dollars. Especially if the person has those millions BEFORE you met.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:20 AM

80 posts, read 201,013 times
As a woman preparing for a divorce, I do not have a problem with this.

Do I have a pre-nup now??.NO. Am I taking him for all I can?? NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships