Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:55 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about various types of people and how our society interprets their actions. Especially western cultures.

You have the person that is over achieving working multiple jobs or maybe taking a bunch of classes, maybe its volunteer work. You get the idea.

Then you could have a slacker type of person, does not work much, lazes around the house, doesn't "contribute" much to society. Again you get the idea.

I'm probably going to get slammed by people who aren't going to understand what I mean, but here goes.

I think both of these people could be just as screwed up and not dealing with the world around them. I mean obviously the slacker is screwed up, but how can you say that about the over achiever.

Both are denying life, and both aren't spiritually aware of themselves and their relationship to the "Source", "One life" "God", whatever label you want to apply.

The problem is in our culture the over achiever isn't recognized as a problem. Before everyone jumps my butt about this, I'm saying in general, all situations could be different.

Am I way off base here or do you feel me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 08:58 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
I pretty much agree with that. Balance is important.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Am I way off base here or do you feel me?

First off, I don't ever want to feel you. Let's get that straight right here and now.

Second, I think you're so far off base I can easily pick you off (um, that's a baseball metaphor).

Over achievers are generally people with hard to attain goals that they do attain. Nothing wrong with that. Sets a good example.

Slackers spend too much time in the relationships area of message boards.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:12 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
I feel like the slackers are waiting for life to happen to them and the over achiever is going to make life happen for themselves and others...just my opinion.

But I do agree that everyone needs to have some balance in their lives.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:13 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
First off, I don't ever want to feel you. Let's get that straight right here and now.

Second, I think you're so far off base I can easily pick you off (um, that's a baseball metaphor).

Over achievers are generally people with hard to attain goals that they do attain. Nothing wrong with that. Sets a good example.

Slackers spend too much time in the relationships area of message boards.
Hostile??

Can't tell without emoticons.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:16 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Hostile??

Can't tell without emoticons.

Sorry.

The emoticons should have been:

, , , and .

I hope this helps.

No, I was just joshing all the way.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:18 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
jump on you?? no way.
the 1st person you described is the ego driven person. usually they have been hurt a lot and gota prove something. they are very successful, and very unhappy.
every morning on the sahara when the sun comes up the slowest antelope has got to outrun the fastest lion, been like that for me pretty much the whole time.

the second group, as to those floating to the bottom of the swimming pool smiling, its fear also
but they are paralized by the fear of success. known lots of them. i kinda likem.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:23 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
those floating to the bottom of the swimming pool smiling
Is it sick that I enjoy that image?
I kinda like slackers too....

Old 01-20-2009, 09:27 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
meh! Overachievers!

It's all perspective me thinks.

Maybe that person you think is a slacker isn't really? And as for the overachiever, well that's great if you genuinely are striving for and achieving your goals, but do it too frequently and at the expense of the important things, like stopping to smell the roses, and you get no brownie points with me. I just find it irritating.

Ok, come get me!

Old 01-20-2009, 09:27 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I agree with you, Chowhound, absolutely.

I've often said that my favorite U.S. president, in my lifetime, was Gerald Ford. Why? Because he wasn't so full of himself that he thought he should run for president, or even v.p. He was just an honest Congressman who fell into the job. I thought he did a fine job as president too -- when he remembered to duck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships