Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:25 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Its expensive for a man to be a true American. Few can afford it anymore.
I don't know about that. It was certainly free (even somewhat beneficial in one case) for my exes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 09:29 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
So a 40 year old unmarried woman can't be enjoying life to the fullest? Why a different rule for women.
Of course she can, but most women dream of meeting a wonderful man, getting married, starting a family, etc. Plus, if she's a desirable mate, she will have many men pursuing her and trying to woo her to win her affection. But if shes gone 20 years (starting from when she was 20) and have not gotten married, in men's minds, something must be wrong with her.

If the women has concentrated on building her career then it is not as bad as if she is just waiting/hoping/praying that she meet someone. As I mentioned in my post before I edited it - If the woman is 40 years old and never been married she is probably not very attractive, is difficult to get along with, has nothing but failed/unsuccessful relationships in her life that she blames on "always finding the wrong guy" (or actually blames on any and everything but herself), she's fat, she tends to act in a way that chases men away (possessive, jealousy, etc.), or something similar.

The rule is different for women because of how women think and live. Women wait and hope for someone to ask them to get married. Men do the asking. Until we get to the place in the world where its as common for women to propose to men as it is for men to propose to women, then the different rule will no longer exist. So until that happens, this is a double standard that will always exist.

Last edited by LaoTzuMindFu; 01-21-2009 at 09:57 AM..

Old 01-21-2009, 10:06 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Of course she can, but most women dream of meeting a wonderful man, getting married, starting a family, etc. Plus, if she's a desirable mate, she will have many men pursuing her and trying to woo her to win her affection. But if shes gone 20 years (starting from when she was 20) and have not gotten married, in men's minds, something must be wrong with her.

If the women has concentrated on building her career then it is not as bad as if she is just waiting/hoping/praying that she meet someone. As I mentioned in my post before I edited it - If the woman is 40 years old and never been married she is probably not very attractive, is difficult to get along with, has nothing but failed/unsuccessful relationships in her life that she blames on "always finding the wrong guy", she's fat, she tends to act in a way that chases men away, or something similar.

The rule is different for women because of how women think and live. Women wait and hope for someone to ask them to get married. Men do the asking. Until we get to the place in the world where its as common for women to propse to men as it is men to propose to women, then the different rule will no longer exist.
What a load of codswollop! I think you have a very warped view of life and quite a chauvanist. In other words men are doing women a favor by marrying them? I think Condeleeza Rice is an attractive woman...she's in her 50's and has never been married. I know a few women just like her who have never been married, some aren't too happy about it others accept it and enjoy their independence and they are by no means gross as you put it.

Let's use me as an example, I find myself single again in my 40's and have never had a "real" marriage, although I was married in my 20s for convenience and the INS. Other than a 7 year relationship and one that lasted 4 that's been it and I could have married either of them... I still have the engagement ring from the 7 year one and certainly not sitting around waiting and hoping for some guy to propose. Maybe I'm wired differently but I don't see it as a handicapp or a failure....why would I? I take at least 2 overseas vacations a year, I'm paying the mortgage on two homes, I buy only the best things for my home, got a great family, friends and pretty content.

Seems to me there are women who post here who should have done the same thing I did, because all I read from some are misery and discontent.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:25 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Why is this even a question?
Stay away from the married/not yet divorced/recently divorced men.
Dating is difficult enough.
Stop wasting your energy trying to figure out what this guy is saying.
Good grief.
No wonder marriages and relationships are so mucked up.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:26 AM

730 posts, read 2,887,248 times
DaBeez,

You really have your head screwed on all wrong.

All those things you say about unwed women in their 40's is a bunch of made up BS!

When my husband and I met (both 40) he had been divorced once and I had never been married.

He couldn't believe it and wondered what was wrong with all the men I had dated, not what was wrong with me!

Old 01-21-2009, 10:38 AM

27,335 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
So a 40 year old unmarried woman can't be enjoying life to the fullest? Why a different rule for women.

I know of a few people over 40 who arent married and have never been, so what. For some of them, its their choice, nothing wrong with that.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:41 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
DaBeez,

You really have your head screwed on all wrong.

All those things you say about unwed women in their 40's is a bunch of made up BS!

When my husband and I met (both 40) he had been divorced once and I had never been married.

He couldn't believe it and wondered what was wrong with all the men I had dated, not what was wrong with me!
I know several 40-45 year old women who have never married but who would make excellent partners. They have advanced degrees, have traveled internationally and are physically fit with pleasant personalities. What a shame that men like DaBeez may be avoiding dating them/passing them by as potential mates just because they are over 40 and never married!

His generalizations are appalling! "If the woman is 40 years old and never been married she is probably not very attractive, is difficult to get along with, has nothing but failed/unsuccessful relationships in her life that she blames on "always finding the wrong guy" (or actually blames on any and everything but herself), she's fat, she tends to act in a way that chases men away (possessive, jealousy, etc.), or something similar"

Old 01-21-2009, 10:43 AM

249 posts, read 1,029,706 times
Ignore it. There are lots of people out there with preconceived notions that are truly only holding them back from happiness. I knew a very successful Vice Pres of a corporation who specially suggested to me that I wait until I'm 40 to get married because she felt strongly you would make a better choice under those circumstances.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:46 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Yey, I'm a true American!
Me too!

Old 01-21-2009, 10:46 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
40 and single is ok. divorce and hookup failure is a plague it is humiliating and guilt inducing. we either blame everybody around us or ourselves. maybe its ok to be single.
usually the person standing on furniture screaming the other gender is demon possessed has got issues. evil is genderless it can change form any time it wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships