U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:14 PM

47,848 posts, read 43,106,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
meh! Overachievers!

It's all perspective me thinks.

Maybe that person you think is a slacker isn't really? And as for the overachiever, well that's great if you genuinely are striving for and achieving your goals, but do it too frequently and at the expense of the important things, like stopping to smell the roses, and you get no brownie points with me. I just find it irritating.

Ok, come get me!
here you go.
one moment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 10:16 PM

9,926 posts, read 8,349,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
here you go.
one moment.
Don't hurt me huck!

I do come from the land of the "tall poppy" after all!

aaw thank you!!

Old 01-20-2009, 10:26 PM

42,853 posts, read 50,932,669 times
I'm for balance. Both extremes tend to annoy me.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:30 PM

47,848 posts, read 43,106,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Don't hurt me huck!

I do come from the land of the "tall poppy" after all!

aaw thank you!!
the land of tall poppy means kiwis or new zealand. they tend to be critical am i getting it?

Old 01-20-2009, 11:34 PM

16,273 posts, read 12,800,682 times
I enjoy people who value contributing something to society, and have enough idealism in them to want to improve things for other people, and actually walk the walk. People who are blase about such things bore me. Yes, I know this is a bit more specialized than just "slackers v. overachievers," but that's what it got me thinking about.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:35 PM

15,056 posts, read 14,033,372 times
What makes you think that over achievers do not have spiritual balance? Unless your categorizing them as the ego-driven ultra competitive types. Nothing wrong with setting high goals and trying to achieve them. The country would be in better shape if more tried this approach rather than waiting for someone to give an opportunity.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:36 PM

16,273 posts, read 12,800,682 times
Was that being asked of me (sorry, I haven't read the whole thread, just responded)?

Old 01-20-2009, 11:51 PM

9,926 posts, read 8,349,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the land of tall poppy means kiwis or new zealand. they tend to be critical am i getting it?
Australia I'm not sure about the kiwis and the poppy to be honest. Something to investigate! Thanks!

Yeah, I'm not sure if it's critical of achievement or overachievement, I think probably the latter. Seemed to be the way of it when I was a kid anyway and a bit of an overachiever.

I don't notice it so much now, but then I'm not an overachiever anymore. There's that sense of "don't get too big for your boots" here.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:14 AM

9,608 posts, read 8,875,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've been thinking about various types of people and how our society interprets their actions. Especially western cultures.

You have the person that is over achieving working multiple jobs or maybe taking a bunch of classes, maybe its volunteer work. You get the idea.

Then you could have a slacker type of person, does not work much, lazes around the house, doesn't "contribute" much to society. Again you get the idea.

I'm probably going to get slammed by people who aren't going to understand what I mean, but here goes.

I think both of these people could be just as screwed up and not dealing with the world around them. I mean obviously the slacker is screwed up, but how can you say that about the over achiever.

Both are denying life, and both aren't spiritually aware of themselves and their relationship to the "Source", "One life" "God", whatever label you want to apply.

The problem is in our culture the over achiever isn't recognized as a problem. Before everyone jumps my butt about this, I'm saying in general, all situations could be different.

Am I way off base here or do you feel me?
A little bit. I know someone who is a bigtime slacker. He has a college degree and has had decent jobs. He doesn't work very hard anymore because he is an atheist and feels there is really no point to life anyways, so why stress yourself out. I've often wondered how many bummy types feel that way. Some people have no spirit, believe in no God and see no repercussions as such a person would not believe in an afterlight anyways. And I have met plenty of very hard working atheists. I guess they see society in more of a collective sense.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:38 AM

23,061 posts, read 16,554,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
What makes you think that over achievers do not have spiritual balance? Unless your categorizing them as the ego-driven ultra competitive types. Nothing wrong with setting high goals and trying to achieve them. The country would be in better shape if more tried this approach rather than waiting for someone to give an opportunity.
I guess I should have said "compulsive" over achiever types. Yes there can be over achievers that are "spiritual" too. Actually there is a school of thought in Eastern philosophies that your best performances come from a place of connectedness with "Life".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships