U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-23-2009, 10:56 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,416,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Yes I made 200K last year after tax. I am silly.

Back to topic please.

Jim Carey is "silly" and he made millions last year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-23-2009, 10:56 PM

6,524 posts, read 5,259,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
If you want peoples' opinion I have some advice. Instead of coming right back at people and getting defensive, sit back and let the discussion come together. Maybe people will stop focusing on your unintentional ignorant comments and express their true opinions pertaining the OP??????
OK cool

Unread 01-23-2009, 10:57 PM

218 posts, read 337,506 times
Some people grow up after the baby is born. No parent is perfect, you must live and learn.

Unread 01-23-2009, 10:57 PM

23,437 posts, read 23,019,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Yes I made 200K last year after tax. I am silly.

Back to topic please.
What are you? Twelve? Pshaw, I made more, and not in the New Zealand dollar either which is, what, 55 cents American? See my other post about being fabulously wealthy.

And, to be perfectly honest, I've seen some people who bordered on being Mongoloids and made decent money. Does that mean the world should put up with your inferior progeny? I don't think so.

Unread 01-23-2009, 10:59 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,416,886 times
I don't agree with the whole license idea. However, there should be parenting classes that are required in highschool AND college for everyone.

I

Unread 01-23-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I don't agree with the whole license idea. However, there should be parenting classes that are required in highschool AND college for everyone.

I
Good point, compulsary classes could be a much easier way around it.
The question is how willing will the majority of teenagers be willing to learn what they are being taught.

Unread 01-23-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megafoxy View Post
Some people grow up after the baby is born. No parent is perfect, you must live and learn.
Very good point

Unread 01-23-2009, 11:13 PM

9,926 posts, read 8,104,232 times
Ok, well I've often thought this when I've been confronted with some of the horrific things that some parents do to their children and even for just smaller parenting infringements that have continued over a long period of time but it is a knee jerk reaction in my opinion and I doubt it would solve the issues.

I figure I have to register to own a dog and in order to adopt I had to provide evidence that I was capable and yet I see some people who have children that should not be allowed to be in charge of a guppy or a potplant, let alone a defenseless kid.

I think the licencing idea, whilst I understand the desire for it, probably wouldn't do much of anything, the people that it was most directed at would get around it, just as they do driver's licences and shooter's licences and all kinds of licences and the folks that don't need a licence would be subjected to another unecessary hoop.

I mean look at what happened in China with the one child policy?

Far better to impliment better programs for sex education, greater access to birth control, more extensive and more readily available parenting education and better child protection services.

**shrug** Least that's what I think.

Unread 01-23-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Ok, well I've often thought this when I've been confronted with some of the horrific things that some parents do to their children and even for just smaller parenting infringements that have continued over a long period of time but it is a knee jerk reaction in my opinion and I doubt it would solve the issues.
The instances here of violence on children by parents is on the increase. No other cases sicken me more. Alot of it occurs from drug use.

Quote:

I figure I have to register to own a dog and in order to adopt I had to provide evidence that I was capable and yet I see some people who have children that should not be allowed to be in charge of a guppy or a potplant, let alone a defenseless kid.

I think the licencing idea, whilst I understand the desire for it, probably wouldn't do much of anything, the people that it was most directed at would get around it, just as they do driver's licences and shooter's licences and all kinds of licences and the folks that don't need a licence would be subjected to another unecessary hoop.

I mean look at what happened in China with the one child policy?

I guess it depends alot on the country. I imagine the licence idea would be much tougher to implement and remain effective in certain places.
Eg. Countries with a high population per capita eg USA and China would be tougher than say a country like NZ with a much lower population per capita. Of course resources / money to implement and run it crucial as well.

Quote:
Far better to impliment better programs for sex education, greater access to birth control, more extensive and more readily available parenting education and better child protection services.
Agree, well said.

Unread 01-23-2009, 11:35 PM

657 posts, read 1,299,026 times
I work in Juvenile Court and see lots of kids having kids, and adults that are completely unsuitable as parents who usually have 3-5 different children, each with a different absentee father. I know this is facetious, but wish there was a way to put birth control in all the illegal drugs, and at least, we'd be able to stop some of these irresponsible adults/teens from reproducing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships