Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 08:53 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times

Advertisements

I always thought that I was a fairly good looking guy, put together fairly well, I've had women appreciate me in the past.

That being said, I think I've finally realized that I'm just some goofy middle aged white dude.

I was at the store today and noticed a group of twenty somethings, they were in the wine section trying to decide what to buy. I noticed that the guys were dressed fashionable, nothing like me BTW, and the girls were the same.

Oprah has what she describes as an "Ah ha Moment" meaning that some profound thought usually follows.

Well today I had an opposite Oprah moment, instead of having an "Ah ha" moment I had an "Uh Oh" moment. I like I'm getting older and no longer the cool hip youngster. LOL

Anybody else realize that you're no longer the kid that you thought you were?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 09:04 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,852,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Anybody else realize that you're no longer the kid that you thought you were?????
I never had any such silly illusions.

I suppose for those who do, the wake up call comes when the wife pulls the plug because the qualities she saw in you in your twenties have declined so much that they are now obviously outweighed by your negative ones.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:06 PM

318 posts, read 820,506 times
Things have changed quite swiftly. It's been 7 years since I graduated high school, and I find myself having a harder time identifying with those younger kids. There was no profound moment. I'm actually a lot more comfortable with who I am at present and feel hipper then ever. I probably won't be able to say that in my late 30's but I'm assuming you're not married and have children of your own. As for fashion, try copying celebrity styles. It's not that hard for a guy to look hip. Just dress in some low rise straight legged jeans. Skip the belt, buy some tight but not too tight shirt and DO NOT tuck it in.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:10 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
I have those moments every now and then...the last one was a few weeks ago when I was interviewing a job prospect at the office and the girl told me she was born in 1986 and I thought to myself "Sheesh, I can remember my homework assignments from back then"

Old 01-25-2009, 09:12 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I have those moments every now and then...the last one was a few weeks ago when I was interviewing a job prospect at the office and the girl told me she was born in 1986 and I thought to myself "Sheesh, I can remember my homework assignments from back then"
LOL, that's funny, I graduated in 87 so man that hits home.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL, that's funny, I graduated in 87 so man that hits home.
We are about the same age then...sad huh?

Old 01-25-2009, 09:14 PM

656 posts, read 2,741,973 times
I remember not to long ago getting asked for I.D at the nightclub door
Now when I go to the door they tell me 'Bingo Night' is next door
I think it was then that I realized I was no longer the cool hip youngster

Last edited by HairyandScary; 01-25-2009 at 09:29 PM..

Old 01-25-2009, 09:16 PM

318 posts, read 820,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Guilty as charged.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaydenJ View Post
Guilty as charged.
That's cool...enjoy it and don't squander a minute of it!

Old 01-25-2009, 09:24 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Well, yes and no.

I was at Office Depot four years ago, when my then 9-year old daughter came running up to me and said, "Dad! Dad! You've got to see this." So she led me to the electronics section to a...typewriter. I had to thread a sheet of paper into it, and show how the thing worked. "See, Sweetie, we used to write everything with one of these." "How weird," she said.

On the other hand my daughter, now 14, had a sleepover for her birthday party last Sunday night. Her friends asked her, "How old was your Dad when you were born, like 18 or something?" They couldn't believe I was 46. She had to come upstairs and ask for my drivers' license. Ticked my wife off no end. Of course, I hit the genetic lottery on that account. My mother's mother did not have a speck of gray hair until she was in her 70s, and my father's dad remained pretty youthful up until 84. He really was the swain of the Dunes Club in Myrtle Beach. So, as much as I would love to credit my youthful appearance to clean living, it's just dumb genetic luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships