Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about married couples sleeping separately?
No, when you're married you should sleep in the same bed. 17 9.55%
I already sleep in another bedroom from my spouse, but our marriage is good. 49 27.53%
I've wanted to sleep in another room as my spouse snores, but I don't want to hurt his/her feelings. 17 9.55%
If I could, I would, but our house doesn't have that option. 12 6.74%
I love sleeping with my spouse and wouldn't have it any other way. 83 46.63%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 02:49 PM

257 posts, read 1,080,811 times

Advertisements

We would do the intimate thing and I would wander off into a separate bed, because he too would snore, and hog the blankies! To be honest the second bedroom kind of bought me a little space too.....U know to be alone, by myself for a few hours......Not to be bothered by anyone! Of course, we are no longer together, wonder if that made the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 03:31 PM

669 posts, read 3,192,840 times
In my opinion couples should sleep in the same bed, otherwise it's like you're very casual about your love or something. Sleeping together is one of the best parts of being together. Seriously. How could you NOT?

Old 03-12-2007, 03:32 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurphy View Post
In my opinion couples should sleep in the same bed, otherwise it's like you're very casual about your love or something. Sleeping together is one of the best parts of being together. Seriously. How could you NOT?

Even love needs some time apart. When I get a g/f I do not expect to be with her 24/7 we need our space now and then.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:44 PM

287 posts, read 1,460,159 times
Its terrible, my wife works nights so we can only sleep together twice a week, it isnt something I would want to do.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:29 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
I love sleeping with my husband, and waking up next to him. There's no way I would sleep apart from him in our own home. I couldn't put up with loud snoring, I would make him go to the doctor and deal with it rather than sleep in a separate room.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:50 PM

265 posts, read 1,548,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri_25ny View Post
I don't know why someone would get married if they didn't want to sleep in the same bed with their spouse.
There are many reasons why spouses or domestic partners would opt for separate bedrooms:

1. One's a light sleeper, the other isn't.
2. One's a restless sleeper (tosses, turns, gets up during the night) and keeps waking the other up
3. Room temperature incompatibilty (this is a biggie!): One freezes, the other sweats like a porcine mammal.
4. One can't fall asleep without the window being open, the other can't fall asleep if it IS open
5. One insists on falling asleep with the TV on and wakes up if it's turned off, the other is ready to throw the blasted thing out the window (open or not!)
6. One says "the cat/dog must be allowed to sleep on the bed with us", the other says the bed's the one place in the house that must be pet-free
7. One snores, the other is driven stark raving mad by it
8. One needs complete silence and/or darkness to fall asleep and stay that way, so every sound or movement made by the other person either keeps them awake or wakes them up several times a night

I've always been a separate-bedrooms person (extremely light sleeper, no open window, very temperature and sound sensitive, etc) and even when traveling must have a hotel room with separate beds otherwise I will get absolutely NO sleep (as opposed to very LITTLE sleep, because of the different bed, hallway and outside noises, etc) at all.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:20 PM

282 posts, read 1,263,882 times
Quote:
There are many reasons why spouses or domestic partners would opt for separate bedrooms:

1. One's a light sleeper, the other isn't.
2. One's a restless sleeper (tosses, turns, gets up during the night) and keeps waking the other up
3. Room temperature incompatibilty (this is a biggie!): One freezes, the other sweats like a porcine mammal.
4. One can't fall asleep without the window being open, the other can't fall asleep if it IS open
5. One insists on falling asleep with the TV on and wakes up if it's turned off, the other is ready to throw the blasted thing out the window (open or not!)
6. One says "the cat/dog must be allowed to sleep on the bed with us", the other says the bed's the one place in the house that must be pet-free
7. One snores, the other is driven stark raving mad by it
8. One needs complete silence and/or darkness to fall asleep and stay that way, so every sound or movement made by the other person either keeps them awake or wakes them up several times a night

I've always been a separate-bedrooms person (extremely light sleeper, no open window, very temperature and sound sensitive, etc) and even when traveling must have a hotel room with separate beds otherwise I will get absolutely NO sleep (as opposed to very LITTLE sleep, because of the different bed, hallway and outside noises, etc) at all.

I understand those situations, believe me. I live them, but we also have solutions that keep us in the same bed.

I HAVE to sleep with the radio on, my husband needs total silence.
-I sleep with a little speaker under my pillow. I hear the radio, he doesn't.

I'm the one that snores.
-I wear breathe-right strips.

I need the fan blowing on me. He can't STAND it.
-We have a small fan angled so it blows on me alone.

He's a morning person, I stay up late.
-I sleep closest to the door.

He's the light sleeper, I can sleep through a bomb dropped at the foot of the bed and not even twitch!

I can't sleep without him. If, for whatever reason, I go to bed before him, i'll wind up laying awake until he comes to bed. As soon as he's in bed, i'm asleep.

I guess it's just a preference thing.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:43 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Separate bedrooms?

We have separate floors.

I have 2/1 up and he has 3/1 down.

We are both very much introverted loners who happen to love each other.
Obviously, this is not for everyone. Works for us tho'.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:49 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Separate bedrooms?

We have separate floors.

I have 2/1 up and he has 3/1 down.

We are both very much introverted loners who happen to love each other.
Obviously, this is not for everyone. Works for us tho'.
Heck, your house is so beautiful I'd take a floor for myself too! That is a hilarious response plaidmom!

Old 03-12-2007, 08:16 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri_25ny View Post
... I can't sleep without him. If, for whatever reason, I go to bed before him, i'll wind up laying awake until he comes to bed. As soon as he's in bed, i'm asleep.
I guess it's just a preference thing.
Think you guessed wrong there, Lauri. That's love!
(Only reason I didn't quote your entire great post is because it's so close above this post )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships