Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 11:07 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,004,233 times

Advertisements

This is one of the things that can bother me sometimes. I understand humility, but sometimes it annoys me if I pay someone a compliment and they play it off, like 'This old thing', or kind of downplay what I said. If that's the case, then I would not have said anything. What's so hard about saying 'Thank You, I appreciate that" and keep going?

Also, if I offer someone something, they will get 2 attempts (the initial and a 'you sure?') from me before I take it back. I don't force things on people. Like if someone was to do me a favor, let's say pick up something from the store, and I offer them money for what they did, or their trouble, I'll give them 2x to take it, and leave it at that. I won't force it on them or leave it somewhere secretly so that they stumble on it. If they said no, they don't want it.

Conversely, If you offer me something, you must want me to have it or you wouldn't have. So if I say yes, you can't get mad, or think that by offering you were being considerate. Some people do this and expect people to say no. They're crazy LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 11:08 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
I take them lightly since I rarely get any.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:17 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
You hit the nail on the head! This is the worst thing about my MIL. She cannot take a compliment at all. If you compliment her, she thinks this is an invitation for her to trash whatever you were talking about. The only exception to this is if it was something she received as a gift from something else. Then, she beams and thanks me and tells me the story of the gift.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:23 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
I acknowledge it with a "thank you" and a smile. Sometimes I’d return the compliment if I honestly have something good to say. People who start saying how something's old, or they got it on sale, or they got it from a thrift store, or you name it drive me nuts, too. I did not ask and I do not care!

Old 01-30-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I acknowledge it with a "thank you" and a smile. Sometimes I’d return the compliment if I honestly have something good to say. People who start saying how something's old, or they got it on sale, or they got it from a thrift store, or you name it drive me nuts, too. I did not ask and I do not care!
Yeah, TMI. If I wanted it I would have asked LOL.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Yeah, TMI. If I wanted it I would have asked LOL.
Quite frankly, these "people" are always women. Men either accept compliments graciously as they should or the compliments make them uncomfortable if they're shy and/or not used to them.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Quite frankly, these "people" are always women. Men either accept compliments graciously as they should or the compliments make them uncomfortable if they're shy and/or not used to them.
Haha, yeah one time at work this lady told me I have a nice butt. I'm like "Thanks, I guess?"

I can take compliments- Not being too stuck on self, but I've accomplished some things. I agree, I do have a hard time thanking someone for some random compliment from left field LOL

Old 01-30-2009, 11:38 AM

355 posts, read 814,869 times
People who don't take compliments well usually stop getting them.

If I give a person a compliment, it comes from the heart. So when the person I'm complimenting just brushes off what I've said as though it's nothing, it's insulting.

It's much better to honor the opinion of the person giving you the compliment.

There is a very easy way to accept compliments graciously without coming across as though you're conceited --- you just say "Thank you, that's very kind of you." or "Thank you, I'm glad you feel that way." And say it with a smile -- and mean it because we know whether you do or not

Old 01-30-2009, 11:38 AM

440 posts, read 1,682,425 times
lol I agree with all of Sierra's posts, and I do the same thing. I say thank you and smile... sometimes if its from a guy I find attractive, I may blush a little too. Involuntary reaction .

Old 01-30-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Haha, yeah one time at work this lady told me I have a nice butt. I'm like "Thanks, I guess?"
Ha-ha, that's a little "out there" at work...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships