Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 02:28 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times

Advertisements

That is incredibly true.

If you live with somebody or work next to someone very closely then you most likely will see their other dimensions, other than that, you probably would only see one side to the person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
Who are you to even judge that someone is "passive aggressive then"? You might only see one dimension of someone's personality and then based on 99% ignorance choose to portray them as an all negative "energy sucking" individual. Life at least could be about trying to understand people you encounter in your life and if you can only take the "smooth" and not deal with the "rough" of understanding people then you won't learn much and your attitude shows enough of this dear.
I know better that nobody can wholly fit one definition that you can easily place them in and neither is anyone all negative. Most of these "passive aggressive" people (as judged by you) might well be on an uphill struggle to improve their ways and when they make progress the shear courage and strength of will is far beyond what you know! I believe we will all get there because everyone underneath is a compassionate being who wants love and understanding like we all ultimately do.

That said feel free to avoid such people given a good reason but stick with what you are comfortable with in life all the time gives you the double standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 02:40 PM

591 posts, read 1,415,664 times
artsy..thank you. The thing that threw me there was the passive. Because correct me if i'm wrong but I always thought passive meant more layed back as to where aggressive well I know what that is. So it just didn't make sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It's funny, I was reading an online book about passive aggression just last night. The behaviors are expressed in so many ways. Some of the behaviors are outright in your face aggression and hostility. The book focused on hostility as the main emotion. I'm not sure why there is so much hostility though.

When you see it and hear it you will probably know it because it feels bad.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:47 PM

Besides the hostility, think of it also as trickery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryLuvinWoman1 View Post
artsy..thank you. The thing that threw me there was the passive. Because correct me if i'm wrong but I always thought passive meant more layed back as to where aggressive well I know what that is. So it just didn't make sense to me.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:48 PM

591 posts, read 1,415,664 times
artsy

Old 02-03-2009, 04:50 PM

??

Quote:
artsy

Old 02-03-2009, 06:02 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Can you define passive aggressive to me? Cause to me that makes no sense..now I feel like a total idiot but ....
The way I understand it is that the aggressiveness component is to work to someone's (the recipient's) detriment. However, the passive part is an important part of the equation. This means it's underhanded and subversive. To me, that means omission...or not acting on something. The "in your face" nature of any aggressiveness would preclude it from being passive-aggressive, in my opinion. I'm too "in your face" to be considered passive-aggressive. I'm told I'm forward...and even obnoxious. But that's cool...I already knew that.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:08 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,650 times
My ex was abusive and passive agressiveness was a big trait of his. It is a way to attempt to control the other person by conveniently forgetting times and dates, not talking, etc. It is almost as bad as real aggression.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:09 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
Who are you to even judge that someone is "passive aggressive then"?
My grandmother is the poster child of passive aggressive personalities, she fits the profile to a T. She married a pedophile, had 5 children with this man... and guess what happens when you have a passive-aggressive woman in a situation like this? How do you think she coped? I'm sorry if I managed to get your knickers in a twist, but she has ruined any chance for me to look beyond the PA behavior, because if they are placed in a bad situation, it becomes more than just an annoying behavior.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:09 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Oh I've had my share of encounters with passive aggressive people. To me, passive aggressiveness is cowardly, two-faced, ugly, (and there's too darn many PA people). I had, unfortunately, to get in the face of several passive aggressive people because frankly, I can't stand them. I can't stand their phoneyness (sp.). So, as a result, I've made a few of them cry just by standing right in front of them, looking them in the eyes, and saying, "if you have something to say to me, then say it to my face" (I find the direct approach is best with a passive aggressive person). Nowadays, I just prefer to cut them out of my life as soon as I recognize the PA characteristics.
That's awesome! Did they deny deny deny?

Old 02-04-2009, 09:23 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
The way I understand it is that the aggressiveness component is to work to someone's (the recipient's) detriment. However, the passive part is an important part of the equation. This means it's underhanded and subversive. To me, that means omission...or not acting on something. The "in your face" nature of any aggressiveness would preclude it from being passive-aggressive, in my opinion. I'm too "in your face" to be considered passive-aggressive. I'm told I'm forward...and even obnoxious. But that's cool...I already knew that.
They're sneaky and crafty at doing things but if they are confronted it's a, "What did I say? What did I do?"
Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships