Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 03:27 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Actually, it's more the use of words like 'lazy' and 'stupid' which strike the major cord.
I enjoy your threads when they are constructive too. You have gone way over board here and in the other thread, and I feel desperately sorry for the people you are so clearly mocking. It makes me very sad, and yes I think that someone who chooses to be so unpleasant to people is being idiotic. You have such a wealth of information on health and fitness - can't you help people instead of putting them down? Encouragement normally goes a whole lot further than put downs I find, especially with women. Use your powers for good!
Again, DaBeez gets his a$$ and again

Point well made. Point and advice well taken.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:41 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
What exactly is "average size" for American women? A Tangential Blog | Culture11 (http://www.culture11.com/diary/36457 - broken link)

NBC did a story last week about the same thing. My wife has to do most of her shopping when we are out of town because In our area the shops have a small area of sizes 0 through 7 and a huge section catering to obese women.
I don't blame the guy in the story for not calling her back but I guess she wasn't lying either when she said she was average.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:49 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
She does look like about 6 on this particular picture, but I've seen others that are nothing like that!

This here is 8 to 10 - http://evilbeetgossip.film.com/wp-co...lyn_monroe.jpg - and I believe I've seen her even bigger than that.
Yeah, her weight fluctuated, and she was pregnant several times (abortions/miscarriages), but if you look at most photos, and especially in her most popular films, she was slender even by today's standards. Not thin, but not a modern size 14 at all. Although, in her last unfinished film, she was pretty thin. She looks like a 4 there:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05202007/photos/news_second.jpg (broken link)

----

Funny how threads about women's size/weight balloon so quickly though...

Old 02-03-2009, 03:55 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
A. She was a size 16.
B. go get one of your walmart size 6 friends and try on one of her dresses...it'll need a little taking in.

Please...I don't step foot in wal-mart, unless it is to buy dish soap or something.
And yeah, I could easily see a size 6 today fitting into some of Marilyn's dresses...the only place it may need taking in is the chest, as she was bustier than most women of similar size.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:44 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
I am 5'6" and my ideal weight, for my frame, is 140. If I go below that, I look sickly. But even at 140, no one thought I was that "heavy".

I am over 140 now, not overweight, but I feel the difference. I stopped working out when my back issues started. While my diet hasn't changed, my metabolism clearly has. And yes, there were times in between bouts of sciatica when I could have walked the treadmill but I was lazy. Getting started again is a challenge, but I know my limits and I can guarantee I am far from stupid.

I still turned heads, so getting back in the gym was for me and me only. I don't like the way the extra weight makes me feel, that's all that matters to me.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:47 PM

591 posts, read 1,415,336 times
I have never understood why fat people hate to be called fat..or skinny people hate to be called skinny. Age has made me chubbier and I could care less if someone told me to get my fat arse up off the couch. Now don't get me wrong I also hate as much for health nuts to act as if they care about my health when they don't even know me.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:52 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryLuvinWoman1 View Post
I have never understood why fat people hate to be called fat..or skinny people hate to be called skinny. Age has made me chubbier and I could care less if someone told me to get my fat arse up off the couch. Now don't get me wrong I also hate as much for health nuts to act as if they care about my health when they don't even know me.
I don't think I have ever heard someone use the word "fat" in a complimentary manner. One guy, after I rejected him of course, told me he didn't need some "fat sh*t" giving him grief. Mind you before that, he loved my "curves". LOL.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:40 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberai View Post
Average size is 14? What?

I'm a size 6! What's going on?
Surely that can't be news to you?? Have you been up to a mall, or grocery store lately??

Old 02-03-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
I am having a hard time believing that the average woman is a size 14. Now I agree that americans have gotten way too fat but that would make most of the 5'4 women very obese. I am a size 16 and 6 feet tall and about 30 lbs overweight. I'm much taller than most women and only one size larger? That just doesn't seem accurate because I can tell you I am the largest one out of all my friends.
Believe it. 1 in 3 people in the U.S. are obese. 2 in 3 are overweight.
Pretty damn sad.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Again, has American society changed *that* much since the 80s? What gives? Why fat now if not fat then?
Hellooo? Video games? The internet? COMPUTERS???? People sit on their @sses WAY more than they used to. Heck, even my job - I'm on my butt 8 hours a day. That's why I'm so darn anal about hitting the gym regularly!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships