Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 04:26 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Yeah but ... do ya take credit cards???
C'mon ... You claimed to be rich! Are ya begging for additional cash discount now? Hey, my bleeding eyes and fingers are worth something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 04:29 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Oh, you must have me confused with JLB - he's the one who said he was rich! Remember??? I was laid off from my yob so I'm poor and broke now. Coming to a box under a freeway overpass near you soon!

Old 02-05-2009, 04:29 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
C'mon ... You claimed to be rich! Are ya begging for additional cash discount now? Hey, my bleeding eyes and fingers are worth something!
Hey, all rich people poor mouth. How do you think they get to be rich in the first place?

Old 02-05-2009, 04:35 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
If you live close to a university, there could be a chance you can receive therapy art a reduced rate. Of course the students are supervised and whatnot.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:49 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
lol no kidding. I like how every counselor acts like this whenever you bring up your concerns and feelings. http://theenvelope.latimes.com/media/photo/2007-02/27793109.jpg (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I paid $125 for about 55 minutes once a week for several months. I'm still at square one, so I'm thinking it might have been more fun to throw the money in a toilet and flush to see if it would clog the drain or actually go down.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:50 PM

I've heard a lot of negative stories in regards to that. You don't want to be a guinea pig especially if you are extremely stressed out already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
If you live close to a university, there could be a chance you can receive therapy art a reduced rate. Of course the students are supervised and whatnot.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:13 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,308,888 times
There are many resources in many areas where doctoral students, master's level practicum students, and interns are completing coursework. Even post-doc residents. Local community mental health clinics 'employ' these persons at no cost for the benefit of experience towards their program's requirements. Students need to gain thousands of hours of experience completing these requirements. These same students are also typically supervised by several doctors, who's fees most persons couldn't afford. I've always looked at it like getting sixty years of experience (2-3 doctor's experience) for low or no cost.

I refer persons to professionals throughout the country and educational level is becoming less meaningful. True experience, compassion, and connection with the client are key components to success. If progress isn't felt in a month or two, inquire on their intervention. Get answers for why there is stagnation.

I have variously worked in community colleges, in universities drop-in centers, in academic counseling clinics that were open to the general public and in community mental health centers. It is ultimately about the connection you get with the counselor and how comfortable you can feel with them. Interviews are good, as has also been suggested. In my referrals I have always recommended interviews with clinicians. People get let down when they don't have expectations met. A 5 minute chat goes a long way to explore honest answers. LPC's, MSW's, MFT's, and Psychologists (Ph.D. and Psy.D) stand out as degrees for couple's therapies. Persons also get specialization training and take continuing education courses. Best of luck.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:56 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
I paid $110 per week to listen to how I messed up and what can I do to make things go better (even when I was in the right) in my relationship. Kicking that particular marriage counselor to the curb... Priceless.
Ahhh. So the counselor told you things you didn't want to hear? Yes, I'm beginning to see your problem.....

Old 02-07-2009, 10:22 PM

lol how is that a problem? If the advice doesn't fit for him, then it doesn't fit or work for him. Get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Ahhh. So the counselor told you things you didn't want to hear? Yes, I'm beginning to see your problem.....

Old 02-09-2009, 05:10 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
I don't expect to go to a marriage counselor for him to tell me what I want to hear. My friends could do that for free. I DO expect a marriage counselor to remain neutral MOST of the time, however and not take sides (either my side or my wife's). This particular counselor may as well have been one of my wife's employees because my wife could do no wrong, and I was ALWAYS wrong in some way. All the tools given to me to "fix" things. During what would turn out to be our last session I said "So why exactly are we paying for a marriage counselor because it appears to me that even when I voice my issues with my wife you manage to place everything on me. I seem to be the ONLY reason the marriage is in the toilet, so (I then turned to my wife) I won't keep wasting your time and I'll get therapy for myself. With that I walked out and waited in the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships