Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 04:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Well I certainly have the ability to change or go after what I want don't I?That doesn't mean I'll succeed but I do have that ability to which many in the past did not......

It is all in priorities,If I wanted to make money as my main goal I would cut my hair,and go after a field that is known to possibly make you rich.If all I was concerned with is trying to strike it in the music industry with a band I would live like a nomad on the road with no security playing original music....

If I wanted to be completely free of society I would live out of a backpack and roam free as the wind......

But money is not worth changing who I am and living poor on the road sucks and not knowing where your next meal is coming from is not fun.So I live as I do now,my choice.
And how exactly do you live? Because I know you have a conflict between what you really want to do and the liking of financial security. Do you rob banks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 04:22 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerclassof72 View Post
Jeez, Prof. Ease up. If I say I wish my sons could have grown like I did, it doesn't mean I also would have wanted them to experience the "uglier and more difficult parts of life" that were around then. There were problems then, there are problems now, and there will be problems in the future. In my opinion, there were lots of things then that were better than they are now.

And what the heck is wrong with wishing neighbors still gave pies to each other?
I want a pie!

Old 02-05-2009, 04:36 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
We were talking about dreams and reality earlier and somehow it got me into Pink Floyd mood. I was thinking about Syd Barrett’s fate and the 60s. I don’t know if it’s the nostalgia for a time you haven’t seen, but I find the 60s to be very charismatic. I wish I could experience this wild and dreamy, free and hopeful time – with all the rock ‘n’ roll, sex, drugs, and yet innocence on some level.

Is there any particular time in history (or even a place) you feel like living in if you could? I would've loved to live during this time either in England or here. Yes, I know what else was going on, but I'm a woman and I'm talking from my own selfish standpoint.
the 60's was great, it was romantic, and a very significant time in history...the innocence was at that time, entoxicating, but it wasn't reality, and waking up to that reality, was difficult for a lot of us. We were all so naieve, and trusting...by God, we trusted anything people told us...we were taught to believe in one another...and I really shouldn't speak for anyone else, but that is how it was in our little town growing up. Yes, it was a good time, as long as you didn't over do, or get into hard core drugs. It was like every other thing in our lives, everything within moderation.

It was exciting, and wondrous, the concerts, the people, the love, but in the end...it really wasn't any different then today...yes, people said they loved you, but it was only because at the time, in their immature hearts they we believed we had to love to have sex.

There were communes, and it was a fast changing time, things changed so much in to short a time...

I loved that time, basically b/c I think of myself as such a child then...we did have a great childhood, and life was at our fingertips...parents allowed us to be free then, there wasn't nearly as much crime or child molestations....we were safer I think, or maybe I was very lucky. People were giving and eager to help you, guide you, change your tire if you had a flat...people were not nearly as afraid, but then again, I came from a very small town.

I'm not sorry, and the only thing I regret, is being taught to trust in others so much...that when they told you something it was the truth...I regret loosing that naievity, that great trust in others...

but then, that's life, isn't it?

yeah, it was a wild and wonderful ride.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:44 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,028 times
what a cool thread to start, Sierra! I agree w/ Plaidmom: it's all just daydreaming & hypothetical anyway.....

Besides, as hard as it was for any era, they had no way of predicting the future; it's ease or it's hardship. Who knows; maybe our great-grandkids will perceive our time to be as tough as we thought the 1700's were. They will tell their kids that living in the early stages of a new millennium was fraught with danger (terrorism et al), disease (AIDS, salmonella, a bazillion different cancers with no cure...take your pick ), and financial ruin.

For me, my first stop would be Egypt during Ramses' rule. Then I'd shuffle off to the late 1800's before the automoble & ride my horse off into the sunset....and finally; I'd finish off in the 1950's before the $hit really hit the fan.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:55 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Errr, I could be wrong, but I think ~some~ people might be missing the point of this thread?

It seems to be a bit of harmless daydreaming and make-believe (unless someone perfected time travel while I slept last night??? ).

Of course we are romanticizing certain eras and choosing iconic figures. No one fantasizes about going back in time and being a serf or a charwoman.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:11 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
The 40s. I loved the way the movie stars dressed in their classy clothes and hats and the way they carried themselves, so glamorous and classy. Now, they're just sleazy looking. I loved the men in their suits and hats too. I was born too late.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:14 PM

838 posts, read 1,875,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I want a pie!
If we were neighbors, I'd bring you one.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:28 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,384 times
The 80s early 90s

Old 02-05-2009, 06:39 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerclassof72 View Post
If we were neighbors, I'd bring you one.
When people move into a house near us, I bake brownies for them. Is that close enough?

Old 02-05-2009, 06:47 PM

838 posts, read 1,875,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
When people move into a house near us, I bake brownies for them. Is that close enough?
That is fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships