Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 09:45 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
Oh, no worries! they look like so much fun! you can get so many different games, they even have yoga!!

*now, I just need a guy to get me one! ha!
LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 09:52 AM

188 posts, read 474,681 times
I would have thought that you ladies would have figured it out by now. If you know a special day is coming, you need to tell your man well in advance exactly what you want, where to get it, and how much it will cost. It is not that we don't care, it is just that we don't shop like women do. Women's taste in everything differs, and what they liked today may not be what they will like in six months. That is not meant as a slam, just a fact of life. We men, for the most part, understand this, which is why we mostly are clueless about gift giving. We love you all dearly, but help us out a bit. Otherwise don't be suprised if you get a power tool for christmas, cause that is what would make us happy. JMHO

Old 02-07-2009, 10:02 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker View Post
I would have thought that you ladies would have figured it out by now. If you know a special day is coming, you need to tell your man well in advance exactly what you want, where to get it, and how much it will cost. It is not that we don't care, it is just that we don't shop like women do. Women's taste in everything differs, and what they liked today may not be what they will like in six months. That is not meant as a slam, just a fact of life. We men, for the most part, understand this, which is why we mostly are clueless about gift giving. We love you all dearly, but help us out a bit. Otherwise don't be suprised if you get a power tool for christmas, cause that is what would make us happy. JMHO
You are correct about this. I don't tell my SO what I want, because I can't think of anything specifically that I want (well, other than a Wii Fit, but he would be so lost trying to find that...). He unknowingly gave me a gift already that warmed my little heart. He really likes his comfort and dressing up isn't his thing, but he called me last week and he was shopping for clothes and wanted my opinion. He hates to shop! It honestly made me a little weak in the knees because he was thinking about how we are going out to dinner and he wanted to look nice for me. He gets huge brownie points for that!

Old 02-07-2009, 11:55 AM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker View Post
My mother taught me that if your husband or boyfriend forgot your birthday, anniversary, whatever, then it's your fault. You are supposed to continually remind them of those dates if they're important to you. Likewise, you must continually remind them of the things you like, but not be surprised when they mess it up. That stuff just isn't in the majority of men's trick bags.

I've also learned that some of the worst gifts end up being the best, because you can then tease them about them for the rest of your lives. Truly awful gifts are the gifts that keep on giving.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:04 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Hmmm.....Even though the two of you have been eating healthier, and getting on the treadmill, he still tells you what he got you for Valentines Day. WTF? Now....How romantic is that?
Ok, guys think weird. Men tend to be fixers. He sees you eating healthier and working out so he got you something he thought would make the process more fun. Women, OTOH, tend to take things like this as criticism when it, probably, wasn't meant that way. He, probably, really thinks you'd enjoy the WII fit more than a treadmill. Try it, you might.

I think he just sees himself as helping you with your goal of being healthier and that is kind of romantic when you think about it. And besides, there are lots of cool games you can play when not exercising (I'm betting he'll be playing them, men tend to be that way, )

Old 02-07-2009, 01:13 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
My mom bought me weights once cuz I mentioned I wanted to tone my arms....so even women make these blunders . Honestly though, I was happy with it.

Gift giving is difficult....this is why I don't like holidays which obligate it. I'd rather just buy a gift for someone when I see something that reminds me of them and I am feeling generous...and that is what I do. I think it's more from the heart that way.

One of the best advice I've ever been given for gift giving is to give something that someone wouldn't splurge on for themselves (often inexpensive even). I see pretty little thing here & there I do not buy because it is not "necessary". So if someone buys me a pretty bookmark or a small decorative item for my apartment, I think it is nice.

From a guy, I'd be happy with simply flowers & a bottle of wine though. If he knows me, he could buy my favorite flowers (not roses) and wine I like (not white wine).

Old 02-07-2009, 01:15 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
My mother taught me that if your husband or boyfriend forgot your birthday, anniversary, whatever, then it's your fault. You are supposed to continually remind them of those dates if they're important to you. Likewise, you must continually remind them of the things you like, but not be surprised when they mess it up. That stuff just isn't in the majority of men's trick bags.

I've also learned that some of the worst gifts end up being the best, because you can then tease them about them for the rest of your lives. Truly awful gifts are the gifts that keep on giving.
Your mother was/is a wise woman.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:23 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Believe me, stan4, women are f'ing crazy when it comes to gifts. Wii fit for Valentines Day? You think I'm fat? Vaccum cleaner for Christmas? You think I'm dirty? Roses and chocolates? Did you even think about this? How cliche. Jewelry is nice, but do you even know my tastes? This isn't me at all. How much did you spend on this?

My wife gets what she gets for Christmases, birthdays and sometimes Valentine's Day .. depending on my mood. I don't always buy her something for Valentine's Day.
Not all of us are like that. My boyfriend got me a 2-ton hydraulic floor jack as one of my Christmas presents, and I think it's great. He remembered a conversation we had about maintenance on my vehicle, and how I said I needed to buy one for some of the things I do, and he was thoughtful enough to remember that and go get me one.

I look at gifts this way -- he remembered. That's all I need for it to be the best gift ever.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:30 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Not all of us are like that. My boyfriend got me a 2-ton hydraulic floor jack as one of my Christmas presents, and I think it's great. He remembered a conversation we had about maintenance on my vehicle, and how I said I needed to buy one for some of the things I do, and he was thoughtful enough to remember that and go get me one.

I look at gifts this way -- he remembered. That's all I need for it to be the best gift ever.
You sound like a cool girlfriend, Zug. A witchy princess would have given you're bf grief for not being romantic and would have called friends and jumped on an online forum to berate him for it. I agree, btw. A hydraulic floor jack is a great present. Anyone who has ever changed a tire on the side of the road with the crappy jack most cars come with would love that.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:39 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
It reminds me of this instant classic:

The Doghouse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships