U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:44 AM

41,918 posts, read 48,251,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Yes, I do not believe an 11 year old is mature enough to consent to anything but I do not believe a 14 year old is either...the whole thing is sad.
Mrstewart, when I was 14, I was a sophomore in high school. A 14 year old is way past an 11 year old in most cases in terms of logic, reasoning, and ability to conset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 08:49 AM

8,952 posts, read 16,021,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Fine, but the fact still is that these girls were several grades younger than this boy....
The article said the girls were all two years behind the boy in school -- 7th graders. It happened between August and October 2007, so the 11-year-old was probably about to turn 12. I was 11 when I started 7th grade -- turned 12 in October. I was the youngest in my class.

"There are three victims in this case who are two to three years younger and two grade levels behind the juvenile,'' Cruz said in the statement.

Quote:
If I read the story correctly, I understood the author to infer the boy had been having relations with the girls but I do not recall at the same time...I could be wrong, though...
"None of the complainants reported being afraid of the boy's behavior, Chief Justice Margaret Marshall wrote for the majority. Indeed, sexual behavior seemed to melt seamlessly into games of 'manhunt,' 'truth or dare,' and 'making out.' Some of it occurred with more than one complainant present."

Last edited by WyoNewk; 02-09-2009 at 08:57 AM..

Old 02-09-2009, 08:59 AM

14,969 posts, read 13,486,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Mrstewart, when I was 14, I was a sophomore in high school. A 14 year old is way past an 11 year old in most cases in terms of logic, reasoning, and ability to conset.
I was in the 8th grade when I was 14. I wasn't held back or anything. I don't see how you could be a sophomore in high school at 14 unless you skipped at least one grade.....that would imply that you were more logical and had more ability to reason than the average 14 yo.

While I do think the average 14 year old is more mature than the average 11 year old (WAY more mature) and that what the boy did was inappropriate, I really can't decide whether or not I think he should be charged with a crime. Of course, I do believe that the girls should NOT be charged.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:01 AM

No grade skipping. Started kindergarten at 4. That's just one year. 14 and 11...that really is far, far apart. It's not like 14 and 17.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
No grade skipping. Started kindergarten at 4. That's just one year. 14 and 11...that really is far, far apart. It's not like 14 and 17.
I'm not sure what state you grew up in (though I see you live in Texas now...which is where I grew up) or how old you are but in Texas the cutoff is September 1st. The kid has to be at least 5 by September 1st to even get into kindergarten.

Not doubting you....but a 4 year old in kindergarten just seems odd to me.

And 14 and 17 is a BIG difference btw.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:19 AM

Went to a private international school - tested to get in at 4. No big challenge. Went to and graduated high school in Texas - our valedict. and salut. were both younger than I was.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:27 AM

13,779 posts, read 22,868,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
The article said the girls were all two years behind the boy in school -- 7th graders. It happened between August and October 2007, so the 11-year-old was probably about to turn 12. I was 11 when I started 7th grade -- turned 12 in October. I was the youngest in my class.

"There are three victims in this case who are two to three years younger and two grade levels behind the juvenile,'' Cruz said in the statement.

"None of the complainants reported being afraid of the boy's behavior, Chief Justice Margaret Marshall wrote for the majority. Indeed, sexual behavior seemed to melt seamlessly into games of 'manhunt,' 'truth or dare,' and 'making out.' Some of it occurred with more than one complainant present."
Wow! See, I told ya' I was not sure if I read it correctly...thanks for posting.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
If you reread my post I state that the age ranges we are talking about have developed impulse control and neither should be treated as an adult in this situation... I did not say 11 and 14 were in any way within close proximity developmentally.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
If you reread my post I state that the age ranges we are talking about have developed impulse control and neither should be treated as an adult in this situation... I did not say 11 and 14 were in any way within close proximity developmentally.
Yes but honestly impulse control is not fully developed until the age of 24 or 25....at least that's what the latest studies show.

I DO agree with you. But, not having impulse control is not really a complete excuse for doing something wrong.

Oh...and I understand you didn't intend any malice when you asked for the link in regards to my other post.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yes but honestly impulse control is not fully developed until the age of 24 or 25....at least that's what the latest studies show.

I DO agree with you. But, not having impulse control is not really a complete excuse for doing something wrong.
I know it is not an excuse and believe me I do not excuse it. They are still children with the minds and development of a child and should be treated accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or