U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:30 PM

6,744 posts, read 8,763,064 times
It's an interesting case. They're all kids, and it doesn't sound like the girls were exactly innocent either.

If you charge the boy for having sex with 11/12-year-old girls, do you also charge him if he's playing hanky-panky with 13/14-year-olds? And if you don't, what about 5-year-olds? Who would you charge if he was with a 15-year-old girl?

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 08:34 PM

5,612 posts, read 9,467,861 times
At least a 13/14/15 yo is on his same level. There's NO WAY an 11 yo is one the same maturity level of a 14 yo.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:39 PM

8,038 posts, read 8,945,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
It varies from state to state...and from prosecutor to prosecutor...
Well, heck. I'm kinda torn on this and I hope I verbalize this correctly.

I think a 14 year old can be taught about sex and birth control; even rape. I don't know that they can discern that what they are doing at that age could be considered statutory rape, or have the awareness that the age difference is an issue. If an 11 year old and a 14 year old are willingly engaging in sexual acts, I'd have to say they are both on the same maturity level, sexually. That doesn't make them mature enough to comprehend what is essentially an adult view on underage sex.

I am NOT condoning sex at that age. I am wondering about the level of maturity it takes to recognize the repercussions in debate.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:42 PM

13,779 posts, read 16,655,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Well, heck. I'm kinda torn on this and I hope I verbalize this correctly.

I think a 14 year old can be taught about sex and birth control; even rape. I don't know that they can discern that what they are doing at that age could be considered statutory rape, or have the awareness that the age difference is an issue. If an 11 year old and a 14 year old are willingly engaging in sexual acts, I'd have to say they are both on the same maturity level, sexually. That doesn't make them mature enough to comprehend what is essentially an adult view on underage sex.

I am NOT condoning sex at that age. I am wondering about the level of maturity it takes to recognize the repercussions in debate.
It is a hard call to make...I do not believe MOST 14 year olds possess the amount of self restraint and maturity to think past the moment. They are notorious for poor impulse control so I find it hard to prosecute a child for childish decisions...BUT I also believe they know the difference between right and wrong...

Definitely a Catch 22...

Old 02-08-2009, 08:54 PM

14,313 posts, read 7,860,291 times
Quote:
Link please...I have worked in law enforcement and would like to see what you are referring to. Thanks!
In Texas, a juvenile who commits a crime DOES have a record and it can be viewed by anyone who has a good reason to see it. The record can be placed on "restricted access" at the age of 21 which means ONLY law enforcement, etc. can see it. It can also be expunged but that takes specific court action...it NEVER just goes away.

A juvenile sex offender in Texas is required to register for 10 years on the sex offender registry. I don't believe there's any way that this can be extended beyond 10 years.

I'm not sure about other states as far as general juvenile records go, but I DO know that MANY other states require juveniles to register on the sex offender registry. (Oh and btw I was just making a point about what I know...I have NO clue what Massachusetts' laws on this are and freely admit that).

Texas Juvenile Justice System Files and Records (http://www.tyc.state.tx.us/programs/parentguide_records.html - broken link)

Texas Megan's Law

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 02-08-2009 at 09:04 PM..

Old 02-08-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
In Texas, a juvenile who commits a crime DOES have a record and it can be viewed by anyone who has a good reason to see it. The record can be placed on "restricted access" at the age of 21 which means ONLY law enforcement, etc. can see it. It can also be expunged but that takes specific court action...it NEVER just goes away.

A juvenile sex offender in Texas is required to register for 10 years on the sex offender registry. I don't believe there's any way that this can be extended beyond 10 years.

I'm not sure about other states as far as general juvenile records go, but I DO know that MANY other states require juveniles to register on the sex offender registry. (Oh and btw I was just making a point about what I know...I have NO clue what Massachusetts' laws on this are and freely admit that).

Texas Juvenile Justice System Files and Records (http://www.tyc.state.tx.us/programs/parentguide_records.html - broken link)

Texas Megan's Law
Thank you...there was no malice intended by my request for a link, just curious.

As I stated in a post, many states require the same 10 year "incident free" period after the conviction date.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
It is a hard call to make...I do not believe MOST 14 year olds possess the amount of self restraint and maturity to think past the moment. They are notorious for poor impulse control so I find it hard to prosecute a child for childish decisions...BUT I also believe they know the difference between right and wrong...

Definitely a Catch 22...
You verbalized it even better than I did.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
You verbalized it even better than I did.
Well thank you PTC!

Old 02-08-2009, 09:51 PM
miu

12,993 posts, read 21,842,518 times
Hmmm... my oldest niece is finally a freshman in high school. She's very tall for her age and rather exotic looking. But she was definitely not ready for a boyfriend. Two years ago, my sister was concerned about two boys that were high school freshmen. She felt that they had their eyes on her and wanted to be the first boys to date her. These boys would try to hang out at my niece's junior high school events and try to make small talk with her. I think that my sister complained to the school to have these boys prevented from hanging at the junior high school as much as possible.

So, I feel that this 14 year old boy may not be that innocent of being a sexual predator. And being on the high school football team, he may have been influenced by the older team members into becoming sexually active before he should. And being a football team member might have impressed these younger girls into doing those terrible activities with him.

It makes me upset that kids these days are having sex so early. So much for having a wonderful and innocent childhood.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
So, I feel that this 14 year old boy may not be that innocent of being a sexual predator.
That is a valid concern, but such a harsh term to apply to someone so young. It's terrible that it is even possible. Truly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships