Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 11:38 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
Sure, it's "only" 2-3 years, but 14/11 is a big three years. It seems bigger than even 18/15, and certainly bigger than something like 25/22, etc.
Saying it was bad behavior is one thing. Pressing criminal charges is a little different. That should never be done frivolously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 11:39 PM

24 posts, read 106,819 times
Wow, theres a great deal to consider in this thread, and from several aspects, the situation is thoroughly disturbing.
Now that said, Im so bloody tired of this puritanical nonsense. We're not talking about a pedobear / why dont you have a seat over there situation, here. People need to acknowledge before envoking their self-righteous outrage that human beings are sexual creatures, just like everything else that lives, breathes and reproduces. Did no one else read all the articles sited? That one reconsidering the age of sexual consent was, I thought, highly relevent. Make an understanding people, there is a difference between sexual abuse, and sexual experience. Kids DO that. Its how they grow. Kids and adults? NO. But who can honestly say they didn't have their own youthful envoys with their developing sexuality? If you can, I pity your childhood. And the double standard inherent here? Think this situation would have even made court if the girl was 14 an the lads 12?
Ultimately, I just fail to comprehend how a society can be so at once obsessed with sex appeal and outraged at its practice.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:58 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryLuvinWoman1 View Post
I don't beleive he should be charged with statutory rape but I do beleive that something needs to happen. I've raised 3 kids past the age of 14 and not a one of them were having sex at that age. Makes you wonder why type of parents these children have that the children would be unsupervised long enough to have sex. I think too many parents give their children way too much freedom.
I think the discipline should be left with the parents to decide and not the courts. Honestly, we have better things to worry about than some kids banging around. How about all those gangsters killing people on the streets. That is a start.

The main problem here is that parents aren't parenting their kids anymore. They just send them off to school and think the school teaches them everything. For the parents, they think that means they don't have to parent anymore! I am sure that kid would not be sexually active if the parents played a stronger role in sex education, "having the talk."

In reality, the schools are focused on boosting test scores, not giving your kid real life skills. So that means the school is focused on teaching english and math. That is it.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:19 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I think the discipline should be left with the parents to decide and not the courts. Honestly, we have better things to worry about than some kids banging around. How about all those gangsters killing people on the streets. That is a start.

The main problem here is that parents aren't parenting their kids anymore. They just send them off to school and think the school teaches them everything. For the parents, they think that means they don't have to parent anymore! I am sure that kid would not be sexually active if the parents played a stronger role in sex education, "having the talk."

In reality, the schools are focused on boosting test scores, not giving your kid real life skills. So that means the school is focused on teaching english and math. That is it.
The courts are there because of parents who don't do their jobs, unfortunately. And there are plenty of parents who take care of business and their kids run amuck anyway. It's not black and white. And kids should not be "banging around" recklessly, especially not at that age.

There has to be a consequence, but I don't think he should be jailed or nailed as a sex offender. If he is displaying predatory/sociopathic behavior, that's a whole other issue that should be addressed with urgency.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:52 AM

985 posts, read 2,601,051 times
The 14 year old should be reprimanded, but I don't think he should classify as a sex offender. They are both still kids so I'd place more blame on the parents for not keeping a closer eye on their kids. I don't think it's really that hard to keep an 11 year old from being alone with a 14 year old, long enough to have sex, and vice versa.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:57 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,895,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_letterman View Post
Wow, theres a great deal to consider in this thread, and from several aspects, the situation is thoroughly disturbing.
Now that said, Im so bloody tired of this puritanical nonsense. We're not talking about a pedobear / why dont you have a seat over there situation, here. People need to acknowledge before envoking their self-righteous outrage that human beings are sexual creatures, just like everything else that lives, breathes and reproduces. Did no one else read all the articles sited? That one reconsidering the age of sexual consent was, I thought, highly relevent. Make an understanding people, there is a difference between sexual abuse, and sexual experience. Kids DO that. Its how they grow. Kids and adults? NO. But who can honestly say they didn't have their own youthful envoys with their developing sexuality? If you can, I pity your childhood. And the double standard inherent here? Think this situation would have even made court if the girl was 14 an the lads 12?
Ultimately, I just fail to comprehend how a society can be so at once obsessed with sex appeal and outraged at its practice.

Its not the double standard, its the fact that eleven year old kids are having sex. At a certain point, you really can no longer keep defining deviancy downwards. If you are having sex at 11 or 12, the police should be involved. So should social services. Even if an eleven year old knew how to use a condom, would she have the social skills to successful negociate its use? Does she have the social skills to successful negociate the decision to have or to not have sex? This is why there are statutory rape laws because we as a society realize the people this young aren't really capable of carrying through on decision to say no even if they wanted to.

There is a big difference being a society that uses sex appeal to sell merchandise and a society that is sexualizing what may in fact be a prepubescent child. Kids need to have a space in there life to be kids. I think people should be outraged by 11 year olds having sex.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:02 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Where does the reporter state the boy will be a registered sex offender the rest of his life? The article states he MAY have to REGISTER as a sex offender, but it does not say for the rest of his life...
Once you're registered a sex offender it's for the rest of your life. I know a 22 year old who dated a 15 year old for two weeks b'c he believed her when she said she was 18. The father found out and the girl wouldn't fess up to saying she lied to him. What are they supposed to do, card people before they date them? He spent a year in jail for it and the rest of his life he'll be labeled a sex offender. He's one of the sweetest, shyest kids I've ever known. Even I didn't question her age. I swear, they look older than they are these days.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:42 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
I know this is kind of unrelated, but in the same ballpark. A woman working at a gentleman's club was arrested a while back for violating some rule where you're not supposed to touch the customer or vice versa (can't remember specifics). She had long hair, it brushed him somehow and she was arrested and registered as a sex offender. That lends to how the law doesn't always apply and does irreperable harm.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:05 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,196,507 times
Is it me or was things taken care of differently years ago.I know when I was 13 I was having an affair with a Married woman.We got caught it ended.But I learned alot form this woman.

I went to her Funeral here a few years ago.My Mom was there and she knew of what happen and understood how I felt about the woman and her death took alot of my past with it.

I don't know I feel this kind of thing should be taken care of case by case,not so fast to press charges.I know my 15 year old Daughter was sneeking out with a 22 year old neighbor,I went had a talk with him it was taken care of.

hillman

Old 02-09-2009, 07:56 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Yes I see an issue: your math.

14= freshman (grade 9)
-2=
12=(9-2)=grade 7
-1=
11 (7-1)=grade 6
As much as I disagree with some of what you've said, you're right about this...

A freshman would be either 14 or 15.

A 7th grader would be either 12 or 13.

A 6th grader would be either 11 or 12.

So could be the way the other poster said...but it's a bit skewed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships