Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:55 PM

473 posts, read 760,475 times

Advertisements

So for those of you had FWB where you're now friends only: Do you hang out in a group of friends? Do your other friends know you two used to share benefits? When you start dating someone, do you tell them that you and a particular friend used to be FWB?

Am curious how this plays out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 05:57 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
It sounds mutually parasitic, not my idea of respectful or fun relationships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KardoulaMou View Post
So for those of you had FWB where you're now friends only: Do you hang out in a group of friends? Do your other friends know you two used to share benefits? When you start dating someone, do you tell them that you and a particular friend used to be FWB?

Old 02-11-2009, 06:09 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,161,791 times
Quote:

Yes, I've had a couple in the past and we're still friends. One I work with now. We talk about each other's relationships all the time. No big deal - it's just sex, and it's certainly not parasitic.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:16 PM

838 posts, read 1,875,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy S in PBC View Post
Yes, I've had a couple in the past and we're still friends. One I work with now. We talk about each other's relationships all the time. No big deal - it's just sex, and it's certainly not parasitic.
To each his or her own. I guess I'm old-fashioned, and I'm a romantic.

"It's just sex" ........... for me, this does not compute.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:17 PM

Yes it is parasitic. Sex and kissing is an emotionally bonding experience between two people. I'm not sure why you do not feel that way.

Quote:
No big deal - it's just sex, and it's certainly not parasitic.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:27 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
Quote:

Wow, something else to think about.

I don't see my past FWB's as I've moved, but we email all the time. One of them is in a relationship, but I don't know if she knows that we were intimate. She does know about me and that we stay in touch.

If my past lovers were still in the mix and I started dating someone, I'd like to be able to tell him, but it's not just my business I'd be sharing. I have to take my friend (and anyone he may be dating) into consideration.

It's really a catch 22. It's easy to say these things should be revealed up front, but you really don't know a person that well in the beginning. You take risks when you reveal too much too soon. When things go south, people tend to become vitriolic and what was once private becomes public knowledge. I don't make it a habit of discussing my sex life frivolously, and this really wouldn't be any different.

I wouldn't have a problem with it if my guy had bedded someone in the group. I've invited my boyfriends' ex-wives over for dinner and such. I know that's not common, but I'd like to find someone just as generous. And like any other relationship, as long as the boundaries are clear, I'm fine with it.

Finally, I'd never give my friends up for any man.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:44 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,161,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Yes it is parasitic. Sex and kissing is an emotionally bonding experience between two people. I'm not sure why you do not feel that way.
I certainly do have an emotional bond with anyone I have sex with, but it doesn't always have to mean love, but the experience itself can be just as fulfilling.

I've never had a bad experience, it makes me feel good, it's good for your heart, body, mind. Unless you have some religious reasons why it's parasitic, I'm not sure why you feel the way you do?

Old 02-11-2009, 06:51 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,339,802 times
I've had two FWBs in my life. One was a good experience. We were there for each other when we needed to be. The other experience was not so good and I wouldn't do it over. I think I'm done with FWBs from now on though. The last one brought too much drama to my life when I needed just the opposite.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:40 PM

267 posts, read 897,947 times
I had one way back before I got married, and I'll probably have one again soon. I'm still legally married, so I'm not looking for one now, but I haven't lived with the ex for almost 2 years., so I am READY once those papers are final!! I'm not okay with the idea of waiting another year until I feel like looking for a serious relationship, and then waiting for it to evolve to that level - girls like some action too, you know?!?

I've got some really close male friends, and one in particular who is good looking and laid back enough to be perfect FWB material. We're really close, and he's cute, but he's not what I'd be looking for in a "relationship" - so I wouldn't date him. And, I certainly wouldn't date him long enough to get to the point where we considered sleeping together.

The FWB I had way back when, was just one of those things. Things got a little heated one night, and then the next morning, is the awkward realization stage. I flat out told him that I didn't regret what we did, but that I wasn't looking for any sort of cutesy affectionate relationship. You could hear, see, and almost TASTE the relief in the air. We hooked up off and on if we happened to be hanging out, and neither of us happened to be dating anyone at the time. I still talk to him a lot, but the FWB wouldn't work so well this time around, since he's roughly 700 miles away!

Old 02-11-2009, 07:44 PM

It is parasitic if you are using the person.

For example I always told my partners I wanted to see more of them, stay in touch, and be friends. It didn't happen and I felt really damaged because of it, sort of like a huge parasite sucking the blood out of me or something.

If you maintain a connection and respect for your FWB then I guess that is really nice. I have never met anybody that does that though.

Quote:
I certainly do have an emotional bond with anyone I have sex with, but it doesn't always have to mean love, but the experience itself can be just as fulfilling.

I've never had a bad experience, it makes me feel good, it's good for your heart, body, mind. Unless you have some religious reasons why it's parasitic, I'm not sure why you feel the way you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships