Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:54 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,564 times

Advertisements

Comedian Steve Harvey has a radio show which I heard a portion of in my van this morning.
He has a book out giving advice to women on how to find, get, & keep a guy.

One of the things he was talking about this a.m. is how women should ask a man straight off what his intentions are.
You know, what are your goals; at what age do you see yourself getting married, what are you expecting from me, etc.

Harvey says if asking a guy this stuff right off scares him away, then good riddance; according to him, why waste
your time on issues that can be cleared up before even going on a second date?

WHOA, NELLIE!!! I just can't see that as sage advice. At all. Just wondering where the C-D community stands on Harvey's views?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 08:59 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,040,288 times
lol, when I was living in L.A me and my friends use to listen to that show as we car pooled to our morning classes.

As far as your post, as a guy I agree with it but for the most part the info that you get is only as good as the person that told you becasue people LIE!!!!

You want to know how you can best track a person too see who they really are??? The only option is to watch how they live over at least a 3 year period.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:00 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
I don't know about such a direct approach....I would also get freaked out if I felt like I was being interrogated for the position of someone's wife.
However, I think it is important to be on the same page. If one person just wants fun and the other wants something serious, then neither will be happy. I think there are ways to find these things out without barraging someone with questions like that.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:04 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
WHOA, NELLIE!!! I just can't see that as sage advice. At all. Just wondering where the C-D community stands on Harvey's views?
I think it's total BS as well.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:19 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,564 times
yeah...not only that, but I thought that was one of the reasons for dating to begin with: get to know someone without making them feel like they are on a job interview with a headhunter....just a nice, light, easy date.

Funny you said that Morphous, about people telling lies. Harvey said that guys are crafty & will usually have an answer already thought out before you even ask! To which I thought, "then why the bleep ask them anything in the first place?????

Old 02-12-2009, 09:37 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
LOL He's got a point but as someone else said, people can lie. Plus, I just don't want to hear right off the bat that a guy wants to get serious and is looking for someone to settle down with.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:28 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,040,288 times
Quote:
yeah...not only that, but I thought that was one of the reasons for dating to begin with: get to know someone without making them feel like they are on a job interview with a headhunter....just a nice, light, easy date.

I could talk about this all day as I think about this a lot. Personally I agree with you in that we need to get back to real dating and just enjoying the company of the opposite sex while getting to know them in the process.

If you talk to older people they know that something happened to the American culture somewhere around the late 70s early 80s. I mean, from the 1940s all the way through the late 70s you knew the girl/boy down the street all your life and so did everybody else and by the time you were seniors in HS you wanted to get married and really make things work; and most of them did, because when we look back, history proves that America had strong nuclear family's.

To add to this, becasue I come with the REAL stuff I must point out that if you did find a broken/fractured family back in the day it was highly probable that it was the direct cause of slavery or war; I digress.

Anyhow, today most people don't even know there own neighbors and young people are having sex as early as 14/15 with no shame. Mom is at work now too so there is a 4-5 hour window period where teens can get into life altering trouble. We also tolerate degeneracy in our culture, such as this infamous "pimps and hos" function in Vegas or all these night clubs full of young people destroying themselves every weekend.

To end my rant, at the end of the day, young people need to be more careful then in the past because today relationships and marriage in this country has lost it's seriousness and I find that most people are just playing around.

Last edited by Morphous01; 02-12-2009 at 10:38 PM..

Old 02-12-2009, 11:26 PM

525 posts, read 948,229 times
Quote:
Comedian Steve Harvey has a radio show which I heard a portion of in my van this morning.

I know how some women could find get and keep a guy... with 3 simple steps, but I do not dare name them.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:08 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanACM View Post
I know how some women could find get and keep a guy... with 3 simple steps, but I do not dare name them.
No fun.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:23 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,935 times
Quote:

One of the things he was talking about this a.m. is how women should ask a man straight off what his intentions are.
You know, what are your goals; at what age do you see yourself getting married, what are you expecting from me, etc.

Harvey says if asking a guy this stuff right off scares him away, then good riddance; according to him, why waste
your time on issues that can be cleared up before even going on a second date?

Is is show aimed at 16 year olds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships