Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 09:42 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,217,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I might be wrong; I was just being sarcastic because school crossing annoy me to no end. You creep because "school is in session"... Well, if school is in session that means NOBODY's on the road, does it NOT?! And the limit is 15, not 2 miles per hour!
I have always thought the same thing! For pete's sake, the kids should be IN THE CLASSROOM during school hours and not in the road Our school zone speed limit is 25 though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,113 times
uhmm so im 16 almost 17 and my boyfriend is 19 almost 20. i turn 17 before he turns 20, we really love eachother, but my parents hate him and said if he comes near me they will press charges because i got pregnant and had a miscarriage. can they press charges if i dont testify against him?
is theyre anyway we can be legal..

Old 04-07-2009, 12:52 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,794,559 times
aybaybay you would have to look in to the local emancipation laws. Yes they can press charges without your testimony.

Which is a good thing. Had to edit and add that. You really need to be careful. If you really love this guy stay away from him till you are legal.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:43 PM

3,672 posts, read 10,583,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
A 14-year-old is still a child. An 18-year-old is an adult. There is an enormous gulf between the two, physically and emotionally. I'm glad he's in jail.

Lots of would-be pederasts on this board. What's the matter, boys? Can't find somebody your own age to date?
That depends a lot on the individual. My daughter was much more mature emotionally and attitude-wise at 14 than my wife was at 24. I have know many young girls at 20 - 30 years of age that I would not trust to care for my houseplants, much less a child.... and a few teenagers I would trust my children to without question.

Our perception of adult and child is greatly changed from what it was a few decades ago, and even more a few generations ago. Less than 100 years ago 10-12 year olds had more responsibilty and adult skills than most 40 years olds today. They managed to get by and prosper in life and relationships for the most part, obstensively better than most of us today do with our advanced education, training, psycho therapy and relationship counseling.

Historically we viewed very young children as appropriatly aged to marry and raise families without any support from govt or even family compared to what we think of as "old enough to drink" today. We had 14-15 year old brides grow old with their husbands, many happily, and bury their 90 year old spouses surrounded by hordes of bereaved children. We did not view this as unusual, or as abuse. It was simply accepted as normal.

Today our views have changed, by and large, and we treat our children differently. We "protect" them from life's experiences and harsh treatment, while they gain this knowledge from illicit sources. Much as our parents learned of sex without the aid of their embarassed parents, our children learn of death, disease, trust and betrayal from outside sources and indirect observation.

We have laws that prevent people under the age of 18 from operating power tools, thus preventing them from learning a skilled trade until after they become adults rather than during their peak learning potential period. How would America's expansion to the west have gone if our pioneer families had to wait until they were 18 to learn to build a house, run a plow, or butcher animals? How many unprepared homesteaders would there have been? High percentages of those during the period died due to lack of preparation, how many more would there have been if they had been so protected from life as we protect our children?

Protection from some things are good and noble, others are just going too far. Many implementations of our protections have gone too far and have become corrupt in their application as I believe our statutory rape laws have become. I see too many instances in the sex offender lists where the "offender" was almost the same age as their partner. I understand that even minors can rape and molest other minors, but I think that many that are prosecuted do not fall into those categories. As mentioned before, many are just kids that got caught by a parent who wants to get even with that nasty boy or that trampy girl. It is more often revenge that motivates these prosecutions than it is justice. That is wrong in my opinion.

Static, no-tolerance policies we seem to believe so strongly in are dangerous and inequitable and have no place in an enlightened society. They replace thoughtful and objective evaluation in favor of a quick and detached punishment of anything that resembles a crime. We need to evaluate case by case these crimes and when there is no criminal intent then there should be no criminal repercussion. Especially when an indiscretion is consensual and the indiscrete are still being protected from full knowledge of the consequeses of their actions.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:34 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,424,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aybaybay View Post
uhmm so im 16 almost 17 and my boyfriend is 19 almost 20. i turn 17 before he turns 20, we really love eachother, but my parents hate him and said if he comes near me they will press charges because i got pregnant and had a miscarriage. can they press charges if i dont testify against him?
What state? In my state, for example, the age of consent is 17 with a 3-year age difference allowed for kids under 17. So...no crime would have been committed (given that you turn 17 before he turns 20).

Different states have very different laws so you need to check.

That said...at your age...you should not be having sex with ANYONE. Not with someone 2-3 years older, but also not even with someone within 2 weeks of your own age.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:14 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,616,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aybaybay View Post
Your profile says you're in Oregon, and the age of consent is 18 there. I'm sorry, if you two want to be together, you've got to wait another year. If you're over 16 but under 18, that's sexual abuse 3, a class A misdemeanor. (That's what Wikipedia says, anyway.)

Old 04-07-2009, 09:44 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,684,018 times
When our daughter was 19 and 1 yr clean...she got involved with a man who was my husbands age(dry 3 yrs)...he never once came over to the house..talked to us on the phone...he dropped her off and picked her up if she wanted to come see us...
My husband, who found this guys email on a fwd'd email....sent him an email like only a daddy could...
he cc's me, our other 2 kids and the daughter in question....
the daughter in question called daddy and flipped out....blah blah....he told her ever so lovingly....that the email wasn't to HER...it was to her 'man'...and he cc'd her so she could see what her FATHER had to say to the man who was 'doing' his daughter....and that since they were the same age it was man to man....there was no response from the 'man'

Things ended badly but not because of the email....

Old 04-08-2009, 11:51 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,342,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You're right. Bad word choice on my part. Thanks for pointing that out. Okay...child molesters. But my point remains the same. Humbert Humbert and the rest should stop hanging around the playgrounds and play with somebody their own ages.

I have a 14-year-old daughter, and if I caught an 18-year-old sniffing around, I'm totally certain that things would get ugly very, very quickly.
right on. you're the kind of parent a kid is lucky to have. I agree with you 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships