Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 08:09 AM

647 posts, read 2,083,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanACM View Post
I can't even imagine what a bunch of 18-22yr olds think these days!
That's true and, even thinking back myself, what I "want" in a woman, or at least priorities in a woman, are a little different now than when I was 20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 11:50 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,664 times
I think if women contribute to their household monetarily, then men should contribute domestically. I am trying to instill this in my children so my son does not expect a woman to do everything for him and my daughter is not expected to do it all.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:45 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
WHAT MEN WANT

Essential characteristics:
  • Mutual attraction and love
  • Dependable character
  • Emotional stability
Important characteristics:
  • Education and intelligence
  • Good looks
  • Ambition
Desirable characteristics:
  • Good financial prospect
  • Good cook and housekeeper
Except for the last one, how is this different than what women want in men?

Old 02-16-2009, 04:45 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,196,507 times
Oh how I miss the Good Old Days when you go out find a woman,looks don't matter.Knock her in the Head,drag her to your Cave have your way,turn her lose.

hillman

Old 02-16-2009, 05:34 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
From my observations, what modern American men seem to want from women is:

- sex
- food preparation
- peace & quiet - lack of hassles

Old 02-17-2009, 07:49 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
[/list] Except for the last one, how is this different than what women want in men?
Women tend to want security, both emotionally and financially. Also when my first (good looking) husband divorced me (he was sleeping around) and I began another relationship, all of a sudden "looks" were not a determining factor for me. I just wanted someone who had a good job, who was faithful and had the same goals in common with me. Education and intelligence didn't matter. After being used and abused.....I just wanted a nice guy.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:07 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,004,233 times
A lot of 'men' today saw their mother play the role of provider and caregiver, due to women's lib and that need to be independent. Since that's how they came up, they expect to find a woman who will act just like their mother. Can't blame them, they are a product of their environment.

Last edited by IZthe411; 02-17-2009 at 08:43 AM..

Old 02-17-2009, 08:21 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
I would have liked to have seen the actual questionnaire, number of people who participated in the study, etc.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:32 AM

973 posts, read 3,304,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
A lot of 'men' today saw their mother play the role of provider and caregiver, due to women's lib and that need to be independent. Since that's how they came up, they expect to find a woman who will act jus tlike their mother. Can't blame them, they are a product of their environment.
I think you are quite correct.

Many women have come to think that they have to be able to do it all. Cook, clean, raise the kids and work a full time job so the family can have nice things. Sadly, these same women are often disappointed that the men they meet don't seem to measure up in kind.

IMO, many men today have come up with a sense of entitlement. Their Mom did so much, including caring for them, that these guys don't seem to understand that it isn't all about them and what they want. Women are being raised to feel like it is their duty to be Superwoman. This creates an inequality in relationships and often the women just don't feel that their needs are being met, creating anger and resentment. Mind you, I didn't say ALL men & women are like that but I sure do see it a lot.

Not nearly as many women would put up a fuss about their role in a relationship if their men would step up to their role and be a provider and protector.
There isn't a woman alive who would proudly announce her love of a lazy, useless guy.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:27 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
Not a whole lot, it appears. She gets to do everything while he sits on his lazy butt and watches sports.
Unfortunately, the "nice" guys who don't fit this mold are too busy looking after themselves and getting an education to have time to date or too "spineless" to get someone to do this for them! Last again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships