U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can you have a healthy marriage without sex
Male -- No 54 30.51%
Male-- Yes 14 7.91%
Female -- No 76 42.94%
Female -- Yes 33 18.64%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 06:42 AM

15,546 posts, read 13,932,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfour View Post
I am sure that most all men will agree. A few women may disagree, but I have no idea why. I wish my wife would realize this.

Poll added.
Sex is usually a barometer of the general health of the relationship itself. If one partner stops wanting sex, it is because that person is not happy in the relationship, has lost attraction or some other thing that cannot just be fixed by forcing herself to have sex. Why doesn't she want to anymore, do you know? Or has she never been into sex really, and you hoped it would change?

In my 13 year live-in relationship, it was my ex who didn't want to, but he never had a really strong drive, as well as some shame/Catholic school guilt (yes even as an adult). Now non-chemistry in that area is a deal breaker for me, because I do think sex strengthens the bond to get you through rough times, kind of like refueling the relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 10:06 AM

2,300 posts, read 1,014,741 times
Nope. Even in the Bible, which is the most conservative book when it comes to sex, commands the wife and husband to have sex!

Old 08-29-2016, 10:18 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,121,564 times
I would have voted "expletive expletive no" but the only option I had was no

this becomes a little less important when you enter the twilight years, but into 40's and 50's there is no reason to not be sexually active

Old 08-29-2016, 10:21 AM

15,672 posts, read 7,259,243 times
No thank you.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:39 AM

6,623 posts, read 3,977,283 times
I'm pretty sure I could. If something happened to either one of us that meant sex was unlikely.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:46 AM

12,684 posts, read 11,177,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
being "touched, held, hugged, kissed" is not the same thing at all as "having sex"

A person can have wonderful nurturing healthy touch, without ever having sex. So a marriage can be healthy without the sex.

The problem is so many people see sex as the ONLY way to receive healthy touch, when in reality, there are lots of other ways, as the above post points out: holding, hugging, touching, cuddling, comforting, all of those
Old thread, old post, but I agree. That would be enough for ME to be happy in a romantic relationship. Kissing and cuddling aren't things that I can do on my own, so I need another person for that. When it comes to having an orgasm, I only rely on myself for that since I've never had one when another person was involved anyway. So until that changes, that isn't something that I can really crave from another person, but maybe someone will surprise me one day.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:47 AM

8,439 posts, read 4,506,562 times
Unless both parties are fine with celibacy, no.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:44 PM

1,794 posts, read 1,093,001 times
I think only if two people get together who don't like sex. And they are out there. Usually, it's probably a mismatch though. Without that intimacy, you are just roommates. Why marry?

Old 08-29-2016, 12:52 PM

15,546 posts, read 13,932,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
I'm pretty sure I could. If something happened to either one of us that meant sex was unlikely.
That is different. In the case of disability it is a whole nother thing. I am one who said sex is very important, but if my bf had an accident or cancer and couldn't or felt too sick for sex, I would not even consider leaving because of that, nor do I think that is what OP was talking about.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:01 PM

2,546 posts, read 5,818,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
When it comes to having an orgasm, I only rely on myself for that since I've never had one when another person was involved anyway. So until that changes, that isn't something that I can really crave from another person, but maybe someone will surprise me one day.

Sorry to hear that. I don't know if you're a woman or man (guessing woman) but either way a relationship partner should be able to help you with that. Sounds like your past relationship partners have been to selfish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or