U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can you have a healthy marriage without sex
Male -- No 54 30.51%
Male-- Yes 14 7.91%
Female -- No 76 42.94%
Female -- Yes 33 18.64%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 12:51 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,744,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Why would the wording make a difference...?
Because in my opinion BF/GF is different from husband/wife
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 12:52 PM

42,837 posts, read 77,014,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Because in my opinion BF/GF is different from husband/wife
It is, but I don't see how it affects the topic at hand in particular...

Old 02-14-2009, 12:53 PM

12,351 posts, read 13,052,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
I agree with that. Without the intimacy that the physical relationship provides, you're just roommates.

Maybe for you, but not for some people.

Marriage or a long-term loving commitment, is not the same as roommates. It may be for you, but not for many people out there. Emotional support, emotional intimacy, tenderness, caring, encouragement, helping each other out, sharing the ups and downs of life, a shared history, companionship, common goals, the list goes on and on, long term committment to be together.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:55 PM

57 posts, read 178,618 times
Hell no, too many fish in the sea. I think no matter how much you truley love and respect each other, our human instincts take over and overwhelm us with the certain needs and desires that every animal longs for. Yes, there can be emotional stimulation between married couples, but if there is no phyisical stimulation, it will only cause the other to stray. Not because they're pigs, but because they're human. A man does not hire a prostitute because he desires mental stimulation. He hires for maybe 20 minutes for physical stimulation, to keep his sanity, and return to his emotionally happy family life.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:55 PM

14,969 posts, read 13,744,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It is, but I don't see how it affects the topic at hand in particular...
Because it says "relationship" on the poll...to me "relationship" implies BF/GF and NOT husband/wife

Old 02-14-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Fernandez View Post
no matter how much you truley love and respect each other, our human instincts take over and overwhelm us with the certain needs and desires that every animal longs for. if there is no phyisical stimulation, it will only cause the other to stray. Not because they're pigs, but because they're human.

just because sex is essential for you
does not mean sex is essential for everyone

so if both people are happy with no sex, then there is no problem
problem only occurs when two people have differing appetites in that area

not all humans are the same so let's not make sweeping generalizations
all we can really know is our own individual experience, and what we gain from listening to others who share

Old 02-14-2009, 01:01 PM

1,169 posts, read 3,297,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
Maybe for you, but not for some people.

Marriage or a long-term loving commitment, is not the same as roommates. It may be for you, but not for many people out there. Emotional support, emotional intimacy, tenderness, caring, encouragement, helping each other out, sharing the ups and downs of life, a shared history, companionship, common goals, the list goes on and on, long term committment to be together.
I did modify my response after I thought about it. If both are happy this way, then I agree you could. It wouldn't work for me though.
It's the ones where you'd like to be having sex, and aren't either because one or the other doesn't like it, or doesn't want to with their spouse, that I think are simply roommates.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:10 PM

57 posts, read 178,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
just because sex is essential for you
does not mean sex is essential for everyone

so if both people are happy with no sex, then there is no problem
problem only occurs when two people have differing appetites in that area

not all humans are the same so let's not make sweeping generalizations
all we can really know is our own individual experience, and what we gain from listening to others who share
No disrespect, but if he's not getting it from you,(assuming you are a female) he is getting it from somewhere else. Unless it's okay with you that he go and relieve himself in your masterbathroom, on the internet then I guess it's ok. There's no way your significant other is not releasing himself somehow, again, no disrespect. Any guys out there with me???

Old 02-14-2009, 01:13 PM

10,925 posts, read 14,550,874 times
The answer to the question is yes.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Fernandez View Post
No disrespect, but if he's not getting it from you,(assuming you are a female) he is getting it from somewhere else. Unless it's okay with you that he go and relieve himself in your masterbathroom, on the internet then I guess it's ok. There's no way your significant other is not releasing himself somehow, again, no disrespect. Any guys out there with me???

I am asking you simply to expand your thinking from "my way is the only way" to "my way works for me, but i guess other people have ways that work for them"

I am asking you to consider perhaps a response different from "everyone gets it somehwere" to possibly include "wow i guess there are some people who are OK without sex" or "i must have sex, but isn't it interesting that some people are OK without sex"

I am hoping you can see the difference between "my way is the only way because all men must be just like me" and "i learned today not everyone is just like me"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or