Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it easier to be a man or woman
Easier to be a man 23 62.16%
Easier to be a woman 4 10.81%
Easier to physically be a man 6 16.22%
Easier to physically be a woman 0 0%
Other-Please post 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 11:06 PM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times

Advertisements

I caught a 25lb carp once. Put up more fight than me chasing the wife with a roll of duct tape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 11:59 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,989 times
This one works both ways, I think. Women have periods - that, in and of itself, is pretty rough. And I do think it's still somewhat easier for men in most careers, largely because we tend to be taken more seriously. That's changing, though.

On the other hand, I think women have it much easier socially. People give young, attractive women massive amounts of slack. They have much more latitude in terms of gender stereotypes (at least amongst my generation), they don't have to really try to get dates, they're more likely to be forgiven if they screw up.

That said, I'm sure being a woman comes with other challenges that I don't quite understand, so I'll call it a wash. Just know that being a man isn't exactly a walk in the park, either.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
Men have it waaay easier than women. Because they don't get emotionally invested in anything besides their penis, women who want relationships are pretty much at their mercy. (Unless one swears off dating.)
See, this is actually a problem for men. No, really! There's this sort of pop-psychology assumption that men are generally sex-crazed, dirty, overgrown boys who care about little aside from watching football and chasing tail (this is why I hate men's magazines). It has a small kernel of truth, and most people know it's an exaggeration, but it's still there - and it's a real problem for those of us who aren't like that. Women start with the assumption that we are like that, more or less, instead of giving us the benefit of the doubt. Actually, I'd say part of the reason I have difficulty approaching women is that I don't want to be seen as one of "those guys" who goes around hitting on women like some arrogant jerk. I'm sure I don't come off that way, and I bet a lot of that is in my head, but nevertheless....I just find that idea kind of bothersome.

OK, end rant. But have a little faith in men, will ya?

Old 02-15-2009, 12:23 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Is that right...?! It might be true for you, but my looks certainly don't put food on my table! Based on what I've learned later in life they SHOULD HAVE, but that's another story...
You can't tantalize us like that without putting up your real profile pic.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:26 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
For me its easier to be a Man because I don't give a carp.

hillman
Carp? So you are the muse for Gloria Steinem's quip, "A Woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle".

Old 02-15-2009, 05:01 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
See, this is actually a problem for men. No, really! There's this sort of pop-psychology assumption that men are generally sex-crazed, dirty, overgrown boys who care about little aside from watching football and chasing tail (this is why I hate men's magazines). It has a small kernel of truth, and most people know it's an exaggeration, but it's still there - and it's a real problem for those of us who aren't like that. Women start with the assumption that we are like that, more or less, instead of giving us the benefit of the doubt. Actually, I'd say part of the reason I have difficulty approaching women is that I don't want to be seen as one of "those guys" who goes around hitting on women like some arrogant jerk. I'm sure I don't come off that way, and I bet a lot of that is in my head, but nevertheless....I just find that idea kind of bothersome.

See this was my point exactly.

Old 02-15-2009, 06:58 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,114,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post

I have great faith in men...if they don't get sex, they won't stay. If they have to pay for dating, they won't date (this is actually a new one). When men in general stop behaving as though free, emotion-less sex is all they are after, I'll stop thinking that's all they're after.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:55 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,986 times
Physically, I'm sure it's easier to be a man. No hormone surges, pushing out babies, breastfeeding those babies, having a period each month, etc.

Otherwise, I have no idea. I think it's pretty easy to be me (I'm a woman), for the most part. DH is the one who goes out and busts his butt for 50 hours per week in the cold while I play with my kids in my warm house, cook, and keep the place clean. He handles the finances, but I worry more about the kids and their health/safety. I guess it mostly evens out.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:43 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
... Men don't have to deal with periods, bloating, mood swings, pregnancy and post partum depression.
The hell we don't!

I'd guess it's pretty even, but if I had to pick, I'd say men have it a little easier. When I was a kid I used to think it was even because women gave birth and men went to war. Now that there's no military draft in the U.S., men don't have to go to war any more than women do.

We also don't have to carry that chip on our shoulders that all women are pigs.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I have great faith in men...if they don't get sex, they won't stay. If they have to pay for dating, they won't date (this is actually a new one). When men in general stop behaving as though free, emotion-less sex is all they are after, I'll stop thinking that's all they're after.
OK, fair enough . I do wonder about the timeframes you're referring to, but I suppose that's kind of off-topic, so...on with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships