Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 09:17 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,028,976 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I can't believe I'm writing this on such a public space but I just have to get this off my chest:

I'm 20 yrs old, in my 3rd year of college at an accredited university, & I am suffering from post-Valentine's Day blues...I haven't had a serious boyfriend but I have had dates, all of which have ended on a bittersweet note (most of the guys I have dated have just been "hookups" (ie-only physical if you know what I mean)...

Anyway, I think I'm a pretty nice girl...I don't drink, party, or smoke...I volunteer regularly at an abused children's shelter & am part of a co-ed service fraternity. Most of the guys I've dated have said that I'm "too innocent" and that they "don't want to corrupt me", my friends have said that I give off an innocent vibe too which boggles my mind because I don't see myself as innocent...I've only kissed one guy & we kind of fooled around but I ended it before we went "too far". I just feel like most guys just want to be w/ me for "physical" reasons only...

Long story short: are there any nice guys out there because I seriously feel like my time here at college is running short & there will be a limited pool of available bachelors left for me to choose from? I do want to get married & have a family but it seems like there aren't many guys willing to do that until much later & I'm aware that guys mature later than girls...

Can anyone give me some advice/encouragement? Thanks...

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh117/gisellemybelle/friends001-1.jpg (broken link)

^^^that's me by the way

@ Fickle: My personality is pretty quiet, I am a reserved kind of girl...shy but not rude...I am also pretty soft-spoken & not a huge flirt...I guess that's part of the problem huh

Last edited by Chanteuse d' Opéra; 02-16-2009 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: additional info...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 09:23 PM

312 posts, read 1,017,853 times
I have a family member that sounds just like you. He is very handsome and just doesnt have "Game" (thats what his friends tell him). He gets shot down by girls all the time and he is having a horrible time with the reasons they give him.

They tell him that he is too nice, too sweet, not a bad boy at all.

I just keep telling him that he will find his lady one day. Just to keep being yourself and dont change.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:26 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
OMGosh I wish I could step in and take over your life for you (LOL) b'c I'd just stick my nose in my studies and say to he!! with romance right now, there's plenty of time for that when I've graduated and established in my new career. Believe me, you'll be glad you did. I can't even emphasize it enough but you're going feel like a new person at graduaton and you'll want to attract a different kind of man than you want to attract right now. I'm telling you--I wish I could scream it from a rooftop for you--you won't be sorry you waited and you'll be looking at things through different eyes. Wait! WAITWAITWAIT! LOL Did you hear what I said? Should I repeat it for ya?

Old 02-16-2009, 09:30 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Ok I'm calm now. What's your major?

Old 02-16-2009, 09:39 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,028,976 times
I'm currently studying English (concentration in American Lit), with a minor in Elementary Education...so I want to be a teacher (I post a lot on the Education board) but @ the same time I'm considering working at a museum (Smithsonian, AMNH, the MET)...Eventually I'd like to write a novel. I like to think I'm kind of artsy.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:48 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,687,832 times
You are absolutely stunning! Wait... I agree with Public...don't even worry about a boy right now...get into your studies and focus on your career and future...do the things you want to do before you get all enmeshed. Not that a relationship is a bad thing....but some things cause you to lose focus....Don't make me repeat what Public said!!! There is someone out there for you that will treat you like the jewel you are!!!

Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueprnova View Post
You are absolutely stunning! Wait... I agree with Public...don't even worry about a boy right now...get into your studies and focus on your career and future...do the things you want to do before you get all enmeshed. Not that a relationship is a bad thing....but some things cause you to lose focus....Don't make me repeat what Public said!!! There is someone out there for you that will treat you like the jewel you are!!!
Awww she must've gotten shy and took her pic down before I could see it darn it! LOL Yeah, I meant to emphasize the bolded of what Sue said. When you're in a relationship--especially a new one--you can't even think, let alone think straight! You've got a one track mind and your studies, no matter how well intended you are, will suffer. Pray my nighttime cold medicine kicks in soon so I shut up now.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:04 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
You are foxy. Sorry that's such a cheesy word, but it's the first word that came to mind when I saw your pic. At your age, the quicker you give up the booty, the quicker you are given the boot. With that said, if you have only kissed, you haven't even given up your right toe. Guys saying you are "too innocent" and that they "don't want to corrupt you" are really saying "You seem like girlfriend material, however these guys are also thinking, "I want to get laid this century". Exacerbating the issue is the fact that the vast majority of guys your age don't want girlfriends. Are they out there? Of course they are. But they are probably not college aged. They are more likely going to be 25 or older. But the guy who is willing to take things slow is out there somewhere. You are more than attractive enough to meet him. Don't worry about the time. Don't get the blues. Don't try so hard. Instead, concentrate on discerning between who wants to be serious and who just wants to have you as a pretty hook up.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:05 PM

Its in her 1st post! I think your meds are working!!!

Old 02-16-2009, 10:07 PM

Foxy...hmm... lol...*me goes off to listen to her big hair 80's music*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships