Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:37 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times

Advertisements

I'm attracted to intelligent women but they all talk too fast to do comedy. They also cut me off mid sentence so they never hear my punch lines either. Just as well, since they seldom have a sense of humor I can cater to. Too serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 01:09 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
Too many women mistake funny for being a wise-ass. The hags on the View come to mind (sans Whoopie, she's comic gold).

Humor is just as much laughing at yourself as it is laughing at others. Women tend to not be as self-confident as men, and hence aren't known as the funnier sex...

Old 02-21-2009, 02:08 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
One would think so, but is it really the case...? I think there's a lot of truth in the paragraph below.

"Women see men with a sense of humour as dangerous and sexy, while men see [the reverse] as threatening. Basically, what it comes down to is that humour is a mark of intelligence. Many men don't really want to be the recipient of a cutting remark in public that will make them look small or stupid."

I have a sense of humor. But I would not cut down someone in public. Humor isn't abusive.

I think most men don't want to be in a relationship, so something like a sense of humor becomes an excuse.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:24 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i have seen women use humor far more as a weapon than a partner building tool. the rebuke when they are called on rudeness is often the guy needs to suck it up and be a man.
women do not enjoy self directed humor at all, the sword strictly cuts 1 way.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:44 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i have seen women use humor far more as a weapon than a partner building tool. the rebuke when they are called on rudeness is often the guy needs to suck it up and be a man.
women do not enjoy self directed humor at all, the sword strictly cuts 1 way.
I thoroughly enjoy it. I laugh at myself quite often. It's back handed humor I don't like.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:48 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I thoroughly enjoy it. I laugh at myself quite often. It's back handed humor I don't like.
in truth i dont see the weapon of humor used on guys that much, where i see it a lot is in the office used on other women with great skill and cunning, the sharp sword of laughter, when called on it the response is always, i was just kidding. often the game is played by 2 or 3 women against one whom they do not like. jingling peals of laughter directed at one gal, who has done nothing funny.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:50 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
in truth i dont see the weapon of humor used on guys that much, where i see it a lot is in the office used on other women with great skill and cunning, the sharp sword of laughter, when called on it the response is always, i was just kidding. often the game is played by 2 or 3 women against one whom they do not like. jingling peals of laughter directed at one gal, who has done nothing funny.
That's cuz women are trifling. I'm so glad I'm a chick.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:02 AM

532 posts, read 1,567,941 times
I like conversational humor. rather than trying to crack a joke and hear silence until it needs explaining, or sitting around saying "hey, hey, whats up, nothing much what about you, nothing, thats cool, not really, how was your day, ok, really? just ok, yea what else, just wondering why....etc etc". I'd be annoyed if I wasn't with somebody I couldn't exchange wit and whatnot with. The blank stare isn't attractive.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:49 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,084,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Is that right? I kinda know a female smartas@ is not particularly appreciated , but it's an eye-opener to come across some proof. Granted, the article is on a NZ site. Let's see what our boys have to say!

" Many men don't really want to be the recipient of a cutting remark in public that will make them look small or stupid."

I'm curious? How many WOMEN want to be the recipient of a cutting remark in public that will make them look small and stupid???

I really love the wording of these "studies" that use sentances like this, that reveal an agenda in place, and they probably slanted the questioning and such to back up their ideas.

I love funny women and I think a lot of guys do too.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:54 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Funny women often look funny as well. Just my observation.
""findings suggested that men see themselves as the ones who should be delivering the lines and feel threatened by humorous women""

and , in their frightened state , lash out against a woman's looks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships