Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 08:22 PM

287 posts, read 893,500 times

Advertisements

I've seen it happen a couple of times. Although I wasn't around when this one happened - my sister-in-law's father left her mom for his secretary, 25 years ago or so. They are still together but who knows how happily. They had a child. Feelings are still hurt from what I understand.

My prof in college fell in love with a married friend. He left his wife (he had a child, too) and married her and they now have 2 children. Think they've ben married for around 10 years or so and happily.

So it does happen, moral aspects aside. And I don't think its always necessarily the wrong thing to do. But my motto is pretty much end one relationship before starting another. Everyone is different and sometimes the situations are different, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 09:17 PM
miu

17,762 posts, read 40,021,896 times
No married person I know has admitted to having an affair to me, let alone married the person they had the affair with. I think that eventually, my boyfriend's Chinese friend will eventually marry the married girl he is seeing once she gets divorced. Of course, she may never get divorced. But I think that he'd be willing to marry her as I don't think that any other woman would want to date him. He's almost 30 and he probably thinks that it's time to settle down. But he's terrible boyfriend material, and even worse marriage material imo. No career, lives in a townhouse with his mom, a pothead, and he spends his money foolishly. This last year he bought a $2000 Civic (smart) and a $15K used BMW M3 from an out of state dealer sight unseen with poor eBay feedbacks (not smart) while his license was still suspended and got a $1000 dragon tattoo to cover up the old hockey player tattoo that no one ever saw since he never takes his shirt off in public. Last month, he bought a $500 sleeping bag but it was one of those rated for sub zero sleeping conditions, and when using it in SC, he had to sleep in it naked, and he still was too hot.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:22 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,183,919 times
Wasn't much of an affair.I went over to visit,spent most the day over there,no sex or anything.Went home told my wife I was leaving and moved in with my present wife.

Oh she left her Husband the week before.We had never talked about getting together as matter fact I considerd her very stuck up.

hillman

Old 02-22-2009, 09:40 PM

37,434 posts, read 45,636,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Inspired by another posting. I also watched Walk The Line last night, for the umpteenth time. Beautiful love story (sans the drugs) but they remained married until their death. I've known a couple of people who left their marriages for someone else and

Did you or anyone you know marry as the result of an affair? Are you/they still together? If not, why not?
Yes. Years ago, my best friend who was married and had just had a baby, she found out her husband was having an affair. I was with her when she and her husband met, in fact I was the one that got them together, so I was particularly frustrated by it. They split and her ex married the new gal. And I ended up hiring this person a few years later. I didn't realize it who it was until a few months later, after I had gotten to know her, (thank goodness). I came to like her very much...and in fact saw many similarities between her and my friend. Sadly, soon after this, my friend developed lukemia, and passed away. Her family, bitter, has managed to keep the daughter from the father. He and his wife have long since moved out of the area, and they did get divorced, but believe it or not, they remarried soon afterwards.
Crazy, huh??

Old 02-22-2009, 10:40 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,043,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Inspired by another posting. I also watched Walk The Line last night, for the umpteenth time. Beautiful love story (sans the drugs) but they remained married until their death. I've known a couple of people who left their marriages for someone else and

Did you or anyone you know marry as the result of an affair? Are you/they still together? If not, why not?
My hubby and I know a couple that married about a year or so ago and both were married when they hooked up and started dating. We don't hang out with them per say but we see them here and there and will have lunch or dinner with them sometimes. It's kind of weird though because we knew the spouses that both of these people were married to and are actually fairly good friends with the ex-husband of the wife so it can be weird at times. I have to watch what I say!

Old 02-22-2009, 11:00 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,329,812 times
I know a girl who had an affair with a married man. He left his wife and married this girl. A few years later he dumps her, so continuing her pattern of going after men who are taken, she sets her sights on my fiance. No proof that anything sexual happened while he was with me, but less than a week after he moved out of our house, he was with her. They've now been married for two years but I don't know if they're happy or not. They may stay married for 50 years but it doesn't make what he did to me justified.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:15 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,043,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
I know a girl who had an affair with a married man. He left his wife and married this girl. A few years later he dumps her, so continuing her pattern of going after men who are taken, she sets her sights on my fiance. No proof that anything sexual happened while he was with me, but less than a week after he moved out of our house, he was with her. They've now been married for two years but I don't know if they're happy or not. They may stay married for 50 years but it doesn't make what he did to me justified.
I'm sure he'll leave her or she'll leave him! I've never actually seen these things work out in the long run!

Old 02-22-2009, 11:15 PM

37,434 posts, read 45,636,613 times
Oh...I forgot! My cousin! Yeesh. He had an affair for years...we found out about it later. He stopped seeing the other woman, tried to make the marriage work, and finally gave up and left her for the other woman. They married, and are still happily married today. Took us a long time to get over that (he and his first wife had 3 sons that were almost grown when he split). Today, both women are very much a part of every family event. We don't even really think about it anymore.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:16 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,077,267 times
Yes. And it totally worked out. Though it may not have been tawdry enough to be called an affair.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:47 PM

9,218 posts, read 10,983,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Yep...I know a woman who was a couples nanny, broke up their marriage and married the husband...then she ended up having an affair with her best friends husband and they are married now Nice, huh????
Nottie nottie nannie!

What don't people get about going around behind someone's back with a/another cheat?
You get what you pay for.
If they're sneakin' to meet you, you can bet that (as Shakespeare put it) past is prologue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships