U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 03-12-2009, 02:44 PM
 
Location: chicagoland
1,636 posts, read 2,503,694 times
Reputation: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Ha!

Why dogs are better than kids:
1. Eat less
2. Don’t ask for money all the time
3 Are easier to train
4. Normally come when called
5. Never ask to drive the car
6. Don’t hang out with drug-using friends
7. Don’t smoke or drink
8. Don’t have to buy the latest fashions
9. Don’t want to wear your clothes
10. Don’t need a gazillion dollars for college, and…
11. If they get pregnant, you can sell their children.

I thought I was firmly grounded as a childfree person, then, being struck by an attachment to my Japanese Chins, I found myself even more adamant. Several people *smirked* and noted "well, now that you've experienced puppy love, you'll be ready to have a kid." Me: "are you kidding! why would I want to give up the time I spend with my Chins for a kid?" Honestly, why would I want to tear myself away from something as adorable as this:




Some reasons FOR children:

They can actually say I love you and understand it when you say it

You get to goof around and make a fool of yourself with them

One word: Playground

two words: family vacation

Saturday morning cartoons all over again

Feeling superior to at least someone

You enjoy “alone time” even more

Rediscovering the entire world again

Tickles and laughing at absolutely nothing

kisses that don't smell like dog's breath

As a parent you have special powers to cure your kids in many ways that you thought did not exist.

Your tolerance level is increased suddenly and you realize that you are capable of much, much more than you anticipated before having kids.

You have the ability to influence and shape another human beings life.

You have the ability to increase the self-esteem of your kids and ensure that they value themselves and others around them.

Parenting is a responsibility that lasts forever and is a lifetime commitment.

You are control of your own beliefs, attitudes and emottions during parenting.

You have the choice of what type of parent you want to be; rather than becoming a mirrored image of your parents.

You have the choice of what type of education you want for your own kids.

You have the choice to work or be a full-time mommy or daddy during parenthood.

Having a kid means that it is acceptable to behave like one. It can make you feel young again!

You will discover new activities, sports and past-times that will fulfill your
time and the kids.

You have the opportunity to create a new circle of friends.

Becoming a parent forces you to reflect on life matters.

You have the opportunity to be your kids biggest hero and or role-model.

Becoming a parent makes you become more sensitive to other children’s needs.

Your life experiences grow when you become a parent.

Parenting is an investment that has the biggest returns.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2009, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
2,395 posts, read 3,828,891 times
Reputation: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Some reasons FOR children:

They can actually say I love you and understand it when you say it

You get to goof around and make a fool of yourself with them

One word: Playground

two words: family vacation

Saturday morning cartoons all over again

Feeling superior to at least someone

You enjoy “alone time” even more

Rediscovering the entire world again

Tickles and laughing at absolutely nothing

kisses that don't smell like dog's breath

As a parent you have special powers to cure your kids in many ways that you thought did not exist.

Your tolerance level is increased suddenly and you realize that you are capable of much, much more than you anticipated before having kids.

You have the ability to influence and shape another human beings life.

You have the ability to increase the self-esteem of your kids and ensure that they value themselves and others around them.

Parenting is a responsibility that lasts forever and is a lifetime commitment.

You are control of your own beliefs, attitudes and emottions during parenting.

You have the choice of what type of parent you want to be; rather than becoming a mirrored image of your parents.

You have the choice of what type of education you want for your own kids.

You have the choice to work or be a full-time mommy or daddy during parenthood.

Having a kid means that it is acceptable to behave like one. It can make you feel young again!

You will discover new activities, sports and past-times that will fulfill your
time and the kids.

You have the opportunity to create a new circle of friends.

Becoming a parent forces you to reflect on life matters.

You have the opportunity to be your kids biggest hero and or role-model.

Becoming a parent makes you become more sensitive to other children’s needs.

Your life experiences grow when you become a parent.

Parenting is an investment that has the biggest returns.
Great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Classy post
People like that go straight on my ignore list. I never thought my ignore list would be so long.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2009, 03:41 PM
 
Location: James Island, SC
1,628 posts, read 2,304,358 times
Reputation: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
Dogs are hard to take care of? Not really, in my experience. I use to have a cocker spaniel and he was a breeze. Well, until he got old and senile, but that happens with people as well. And, my dog had a big yard to play in so that may also make a difference. Or does the difficulty of raising them just depend on the breed?
Dogs aren't, necessarily, but puppies sure are! They take a LOT of energy, constant supervision, consistent training, regular cleaning-up-after... I had no time to myself the first few weeks after I adopted mine at 5 months old. And I got off easier than someone who has them from the day they are born.

For first-time owners, it's probably a better idea to adopt an older dog, maybe 2 or more years old.

I always thought that if I had kids, I'd do the same thing - skip over all the poop and crying
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2009, 03:49 PM
 
Location: James Island, SC
1,628 posts, read 2,304,358 times
Reputation: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Some reasons FOR children:

They can actually say I love you and understand it when you say it

You get to goof around and make a fool of yourself with them

One word: Playground

two words: family vacation

Saturday morning cartoons all over again

Feeling superior to at least someone

You enjoy “alone time” even more

Rediscovering the entire world again

Tickles and laughing at absolutely nothing

kisses that don't smell like dog's breath

As a parent you have special powers to cure your kids in many ways that you thought did not exist.

Your tolerance level is increased suddenly and you realize that you are capable of much, much more than you anticipated before having kids.

You have the ability to influence and shape another human beings life.

You have the ability to increase the self-esteem of your kids and ensure that they value themselves and others around them.

Parenting is a responsibility that lasts forever and is a lifetime commitment.

You are control of your own beliefs, attitudes and emottions during parenting.

You have the choice of what type of parent you want to be; rather than becoming a mirrored image of your parents.

You have the choice of what type of education you want for your own kids.

You have the choice to work or be a full-time mommy or daddy during parenthood.

Having a kid means that it is acceptable to behave like one. It can make you feel young again!

You will discover new activities, sports and past-times that will fulfill your
time and the kids.

You have the opportunity to create a new circle of friends.

Becoming a parent forces you to reflect on life matters.

You have the opportunity to be your kids biggest hero and or role-model.

Becoming a parent makes you become more sensitive to other children’s needs.

Your life experiences grow when you become a parent.

Parenting is an investment that has the biggest returns.

I don't see any difference - who says you can't act like a kid just because you don't have them? When it snowed here last week, I went downtown and picked snowball fights with strangers

I play outside and goof around with my dog all the time. I also goof around with grown people - it's more fun getting them to do it with me because it's less natural for them.

I take her to dog parks, and make friends with other owners. Just like Gymboree moms. (And there are just as many dog owners as there are Gymboree moms that compromise their responsibilities by chatting with others TOO much, and taking care of the kid/dog not enough. Pet peeve of mine.)

I could be a full-time dog-mommy too, if I also had a sugar daddy that preferred to give money instead of love and quality time.

But puppy breath smells so sweet! And how many kids do you know that brush their teeth when they're supposed to?

And your life experiences grow when you choose to have more life experiences, of any kind.

I give her affection and she wags her tail like crazy when I come home - "I love you" isn't always true when it's said, but you can't argue with that kind of excitement.

If you want to know who loves you more, lock your dog and your kid in the trunk of a car for an hour, and see who's still happy to see you when you open it
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2009, 04:46 PM
 
Location: chicagoland
1,636 posts, read 2,503,694 times
Reputation: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
I don't see any difference - who says you can't act like a kid just because you don't have them? When it snowed here last week, I went downtown and picked snowball fights with strangers

I play outside and goof around with my dog all the time. I also goof around with grown people - it's more fun getting them to do it with me because it's less natural for them.

I take her to dog parks, and make friends with other owners. Just like Gymboree moms. (And there are just as many dog owners as there are Gymboree moms that compromise their responsibilities by chatting with others TOO much, and taking care of the kid/dog not enough. Pet peeve of mine.)

I could be a full-time dog-mommy too, if I also had a sugar daddy that preferred to give money instead of love and quality time.

But puppy breath smells so sweet! And how many kids do you know that brush their teeth when they're supposed to?

And your life experiences grow when you choose to have more life experiences, of any kind.

I give her affection and she wags her tail like crazy when I come home - "I love you" isn't always true when it's said, but you can't argue with that kind of excitement.

If you want to know who loves you more, lock your dog and your kid in the trunk of a car for an hour, and see who's still happy to see you when you open it
Go ahead and turn my post into an argument and something nasty. That is why you have dogs and I have children. No biggy.

And by the way, I would never lock my child in a trunk. Another reason you own pets and don't have children
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2009, 04:50 PM
 
17,375 posts, read 15,828,898 times
Reputation: 16939
Quote:
Originally Posted by TecWmn View Post
I am a very stable, 37 year old woman who has her own house, car, clothes, and I travel the world all paid for by my own hard work.
I am all those things...though a wee bit older (). My son and I have traveled the world together, and so far, it's been a blast.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 03-12-2009 at 05:04 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2009, 04:57 PM
 
Location: James Island, SC
1,628 posts, read 2,304,358 times
Reputation: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
And by the way, I would never lock my child in a trunk. Another reason you own pets and don't have children

I would never lock my dog in a trunk, either. It was a joke. Chill!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2009, 05:02 PM
 
3,088 posts, read 5,573,262 times
Reputation: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
12. No college bills.
13. You can crate a dog if you want to go out.
14. more likely to call 911 or go get help if you are in need.
15. willing to die to protect you
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2009, 05:10 PM
 
Location: chicagoland
1,636 posts, read 2,503,694 times
Reputation: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
I would never lock my dog in a trunk, either. It was a joke. Chill!

The pet/child preference/argument will NEVER be settled or completely understood by either side.

And thank goodness we each "HAVE" what we love
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2009, 05:12 PM
 
3,088 posts, read 5,573,262 times
Reputation: 1942
pet vs child argument is at least more civil then you guys attacking each other
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top