Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 11:26 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,041,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I don't know if anyone else is getting "hate" DM's or not but I've gotten 2 due to a few posts here from CF posters.
I'm sorry... what's a DM... oh... direct message? That's ugly behavior... immature. It's a good thing they are pro-CF I suppose then, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 11:44 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I frequent this forum and I have seen posts from other childfree people here quite often. In fact, if I recall, there was a thread a few months ago which went something like.... "Why do people without children visit this board".

There are people who come to this board to discuss their views about having children and ask questions PRIOR to having them. If only one side of the argument is presented, they cannot make an intelligent choice. It is our RESPONSIBILITY as childfree people to be here and provide the opposite point of view, that's why!

20yrsinBranson
Oh, please.

There is an enormous gulf between asking for advice on the question of having children, and blithely strolling into the room and hectoring others for having children.

If you choose not to have children, that is a completely valid choice that's worthy of respect and discussion. But posting an inflammatory comment that states that people who elect to have children are mindless breeders is simply beyond the pale, hence the hostile reaction to the OP.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:46 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, please.

There is an enormous gulf between asking for advice on the question of having children, and blithely strolling into the room and hectoring others for having children.

If you choose not to have children, that is a completely valid choice that's worthy of respect and discussion. But posting an inflammatory comment that states that people who elect to have children are mindless breeders is simply beyond the pale, hence the hostile reaction to the OP.

Well said.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:56 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,513,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I keep thinking that I really don't think I want children at all. Especially now that most people seem to be struggling, education costs are out of control, housing is ridiculous, and many other things are going on in this world. Why would I want to bring a child into this mess unless I was completely stable in all aspects of my life? So many people just have them to have them.

I know quite a few couples that never want to have kids and they are happy as well. I enjoy being around children and have been teaching for a few years, but it's nice to get out and have the rest of the night to myself and my husband and be spontaneous when we want to do something or go somewhere.

So who else has been contemplating not having children??

I dont. And I dont see it changing either. Just dont see the point in bringing a kid into this enviroment and adding to the overcrowding already going on.

I like your idea. If you want to be around kids sometimes...help with an afterschool program, coach a sport, something. The kids that are already here need the help.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:13 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,064,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I frequent this forum and I have seen posts from other childfree people here quite often. In fact, if I recall, there was a thread a few months ago which went something like.... "Why do people without children visit this board".

There are people who come to this board to discuss their views about having children and ask questions PRIOR to having them. If only one side of the argument is presented, they cannot make an intelligent choice. It is our RESPONSIBILITY as childfree people to be here and provide the opposite point of view, that's why!

20yrsinBranson
I agree 100% with this post. We are not here to stroke each other's egos. At least I'm not. I'm not here to learn how to be a pacifist either. I AM a parent, and even if I wasn't, I'd still feel free to post here.

Funny how it's the parenting forum and the christianity forum where people think it's exclusive. I haven't noticed any other forum so indignant about others providing alternative thoughts. Hmm Personally, I believe that is because people who are so defensive on those particular topics are afraid they may not know as much as they would like to think, and will be proven wrong with the stroke of a key.

I, for one welcome opposing thoughts and ideas from anyone who contributes. I choose whether or not I agree. When I don't, makes for great debate.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:15 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,262,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustmeiknow View Post
I've never wanted children. I never babysat. The sight of them annoys me except for cute babies. Once they are old enough to run around I can't stand them. It's a genetic thing because my sister never wanted them, either. I think I would be a good mom in some ways, but a bad mom in other ways. I know I wouldn't want to pass on my negative traits to somebody innocent. So I have kitties and I love them. Once in a while I'll have a moment where I think I wouldn't mind having a little girl (not that you have a choice), but that moment goes by quickly once I hear screaming and babble. I know it sounds awful, but I can't take it.

I'm in my early 30s so all I hear about is everyone's kids and what they're doing now, blah blah blah. I just find it boring. I can't wait until they're all in school and it's not so fascinating to everyone anymore.
I'm not trying to talk anybody into anything, but I will say this. You would likely feel differently about your own children than someone else's. I'm still not absolutely crazy about being around children in general. In fact, they kinda get on my nerves. BUT... I was absolutely crazy about my OWN son. Did he ever get on my nerves? Truthfully? Sometimes, but very rarely. (By the way, before I had a child, I found all that "kid talk" very tedious and boring too!)

Old 02-27-2009, 12:38 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I'm not trying to talk anybody into anything, but I will say this. You would likely feel differently about your own children than someone else's. I'm still not absolutely crazy about being around children in general. In fact, they kinda get on my nerves. BUT... I was absolutely crazy about my OWN son. Did he ever get on my nerves? Truthfully? Sometimes, but very rarely. (By the way, before I had a child, I found all that "kid talk" very tedious and boring too!)
I completely agree with this, I have two kids and other people's children still drive me nuts.

We have friends that are "dinks" and have a wonderful life traveling and spending money like water since they don't have to save for college or pay for a house in the best school district.

Sometimes my husband and I are totally jealous, the freedom to jump in the car and head out all night to anywhere is wonderful and we look forward to that again in...15 years .

But our friends have never had the experience of watching your baby walk across the room for the first time, give you that first sloppy kiss or read you a book all by themselves. I wouldn't trade that stuff for all the money and free time in the world.

However, if you don't want kids, don't have them, there are enough people on the planet who shouldn't be parents.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:52 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,781,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I completely agree with this, I have two kids and other people's children still drive me nuts.

We have friends that are "dinks" and have a wonderful life traveling and spending money like water since they don't have to save for college or pay for a house in the best school district.

Sometimes my husband and I are totally jealous, the freedom to jump in the car and head out all night to anywhere is wonderful and we look forward to that again in...15 years .

But our friends have never had the experience of watching your baby walk across the room for the first time, give you that first sloppy kiss or read you a book all by themselves. I wouldn't trade that stuff for all the money and free time in the world.

However, if you don't want kids, don't have them, there are enough people on the planet who shouldn't be parents.
I'm hoping my gf and I can be like those dinks.
I can get sloppy kisses from my dogs if I really wanted them....

Old 02-27-2009, 01:11 PM

13 posts, read 21,480 times
I thank God everyday for not having children. Life is so hard. Besides I have to take care of my 76 year old mother, who now behaves like a little child. She is already more than I can deal with.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:17 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,781,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O84today View Post
I thank God everyday for not having children. Life is so hard. Besides I have to take care of my 76 year old mother, who now behaves like a little child. She is already more than I can deal with.
I am sorry to hear that about your mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships