Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 10:49 PM

4 posts, read 52,619 times

Advertisements

What do you guys consider to be innaproppriate behavior between a friend and a significant other? Sometimes I feel that my best friend and boyfriend seem to be flirting. We all hang out in the same friend group, and there's a natural amount of messing around with each other. (e.g. smacking each other on the ass, teasing, touchiness, etc.)

Yet I feel like it happens more between him and her, especially the ass smacking. I don't want to be overly jealous or paranoid but it bothers me. Should it? My boyfriend and I have been together for about 4 months now, and everything else is fine. I really like him. I'm just not sure where the line between normal playfullness and unnatural flirtation is drawn. Your thoughts and experiences in this area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 11:01 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,894,224 times
Do you really think there is anything going on between you and your best friend? Does your inner voice say there is a problem here or not? How well do you trust both of them?

In general, there is probably nothing to it and I wouldn't worry about it. But this is your boyfriend and this is your best friend. You know them better than me. Someone I dated and someone I considered a best friend wouldn't screw me over, so I wouldn't worry about them. But if you have reason to have a different view of your best friend and your boyfriend, well that is a different matter.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:04 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
Well, maybe my friends and I are simply different, but I would NOT be cool with ass smacking going on between my BF and any other woman.....

Old 03-01-2009, 11:06 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
that is code for he wants a threesome asap

Old 03-01-2009, 11:08 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Maybe you need to steer your friendships in a different direction. My husband and I have many, many friends - yet none of us have ever smacked each other's asses or had any touchy-feely going on. Everyone is very respectful of each other's boundaries and nobody invades anybody's personal space. Thus, none of us ever have to wonder if there is anything going on with any member of our circle of friends.

If your gut instinct is that there is something going on, there may be. You aren't having those feelings for nothing.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:16 PM

How old roughly are you, your boyfriend and your best friend?

If you are in your 40's this type of behavior is probably less common than if you are still in college or high school.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmesteph View Post
How old roughly are you, your boyfriend and your best friend?

If you are in your 40's this type of behavior is probably less common than if you are still in college or high school.
We're all still in college, so it's not very strange for us to kind of kid each other...but there's something about how they do it. There seems to be this need for intimacy. For instance, he may reach his hand out, and she'll take it, or he'll patt his lap and she'll sit down. Yet at the same time I'm sitting next to him and he has an arm around me. Overall, he's far more attentive to me, but the attention he does give her feels too flirty. It makes me uncomfortable but, again, I'm not sure if I'm over reacting.

I like your point about listening to my inner voice though. I guess it is saying something is up or I wouldn't be so worried about it.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:43 PM

Is there anyone your best friends life?

People need attention. Your best friend may safe getting it from your boyfriend well because you are her best friend and she is only doing it in your presence. In her mind essentially its all ok because you are there and its all above ground. Your boyfriend probably thinks of it again as permissive because you are there and he is getting attention from two women.

If you are feeling uncomfortable, when you are alone with either of them, talk to them. With people you are close about its okay to share feelings. You don't have to create a lot of drama, just say you know how when we are all hanging out with you and my boyfriend, sometimes when you are being too touchy feely I feel a little uncomfortable, can you tone it down a little. Then tell your boyfriend when you are alone with him the same thing.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmesteph View Post
Is there anyone your best friends life?

People need attention. Your best friend may safe getting it from your boyfriend well because you are her best friend and she is only doing it in your presence. In her mind essentially its all ok because you are there and its all above ground. Your boyfriend probably thinks of it again as permissive because you are there and he is getting attention from two women.

If you are feeling uncomfortable, when you are alone with either of them, talk to them. With people you are close about its okay to share feelings. You don't have to create a lot of drama, just say you know how when we are all hanging out with you and my boyfriend, sometimes when you are being too touchy feely I feel a little uncomfortable, can you tone it down a little. Then tell your boyfriend when you are alone with him the same thing.
My friend doesn't have a boyfriend and isn't interested in having one, but she does really like attention. It's not that I think anything would really happen between the two, but it feels like she wants him to want her. It's an ego boost to have my boyfriend liking her. This is all my speculation though. I tend to get overly worked up about things, and I know I should probably just talk to them separately, but I've been afraid of sounding crazy or like the stereotypical jealous girlfriend. I guess I've also been waiting to see if it would stop, and it hasn't.

It just hurts though that my boyfriend would want to flirt with her...maybe I idealize things too much but I know that I would never flirt with one of his friends (sitting on a lap, hand holding, etc.) the way he does with her. I should just talk to them both but its hard because I still doubt my self, and wonder if my worries are ridiculous. Though after reading these responses I'm starting to see that I should lay out my boundaries.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:16 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
I thought you were getting divorced from your "husband".

By gut instinct are you referring that she is heavy set and lead by her stomach??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post

If your gut instinct is that there is something going on, there may be. You aren't having those feelings for nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships