U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 11:05 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,038,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Ah, so now we know me, eh? That's funny, since I cannot place anyone I know with that screen name, either on C-D or in real life.

Well, my screen name is a dual purpose, but I would not expect anyone to know that on the surface, nor do I see a need to defend something like that. However, since allegations of hypocracy have been launched in my direction, here's the explanation behind it. The BMW in the screen name is an homage to my childhood. B = Brooklyn Bridge; M = Manhattan Bridge; W = Williamsburg Bridge, the first three bridges on the east side of the island of Manhattan. It's an affinity to Manhattan and a family joke since when I was a toddler and used to visit my father at his offices in the Financial District, and I was very taken with the bridges linking that part of Manhattan with Brooklyn. That is the basis of the name, and any affinity otherwise is secondary and of far diminished importance, certainly not defining me by any stretch of the imagination.

And, I have owned a few BMWs, too, but do they define my existenace? Absolutely not, since they're cars/motorcycles. Again, I do not see why people would rush to a snap judgment when they know absolutely nothing about me, and publicly decry something I posted, not from its content, but from a false preconceived notion, without statements of fact.
I'm actually a Mustang guy myself but I HAVE been looking at the E36 or the E46 because I'm a car guy and I could care less about the status but anyhow have you owned any of these 2 cars as I'm going to buy ONE of them but I don't know which one. Help..lol

http://www.bmwe36blog.com/wp-content...07/02/full.jpg

http://www.chooseyouritem.com/autos/...500/234891.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 11:16 PM

2,383 posts, read 4,108,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Good post
You makin' fun of my post??!!!
All I have to say is, we have more Christmas decor than any house on the block thanks to my clearance shopping skills!!!

Old 03-04-2009, 11:19 PM

25,204 posts, read 19,011,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
You makin' fun of my post??!!!
All I have to say is, we have more Christmas decor than any house on the block thanks to my clearance shopping skills!!!

LOL, I'd never make fun of your posts.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:27 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,713,375 times
I do a CD and DVD run on amazon every now and again ...My DH always teases me about my 20. spending sprees. I like to spend $ but I like to get a lot what I shop...My gigantic spending this winter was a pair of last years North Face down boots...
DH is a drummer so his spending is way more than mine but it makes him happy so...whatever ... and if he over spends at Guitar Center...he has to make up for it...not me

Old 03-05-2009, 12:03 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,994,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
I'm actually a Mustang guy myself but I HAVE been looking at the E36 or the E46 because I'm a car guy and I could care less about the status but anyhow have you owned any of these 2 cars as I'm going to buy ONE of them but I don't know which one. Help..lol

http://www.bmwe36blog.com/wp-content...07/02/full.jpg

http://www.chooseyouritem.com/autos/...500/234891.jpg
The E36 was a very good series of automobiles, though they had a couple of issues that were worked out in the evolution to the E46. Either series has capable handling and offers a host of reasons to buy it, but insofar as reliability, the E46 had improvements over the E36 with the only major issue in the E46 being the engine cooling system until 2004, which I never experienced, but heard could be a problem. 2005 for the E46 fixed those issues and the vehicles are superb, though they are a little more isolated than the E36 series in that they are a tad heavier.

Generally speaking, I would give the nod to the E46 for the roomier back seat in the sedan, very good overall driving experience and reliability, and side and head airbags that were introduced in the 3-series with this group. I also prefer the freshened lines of the E46 as it has presence in both the coupe/convertible and sedan configurations, being a well proportioned vehicle, though the E36 was well designed for its era (dating to 1992).

They are capable vehicles and have a good overall driving experience, though if you want to enhance the performance, control, and brakes, I have had good experience with Dinan modifications. I have had a couple of severe accidents in BMWs and have been impressed at how they perform under the worst of conditions, such as happily motoring along and being struck at speed by other vehicles being driven by lunatics. LOL

For an E36, I would consider models from 1995 onward as that's when the issues with the earlier E36s came under quality control. For an E46, 2005 would be the gold standard, though there's nothing wrong with the 1999-2004, just pay attention to the cooling system issue. Some have had brake issues with warped rotors, but I think that's due to not following the service recommendation of changing rotors at service intervals. A Dinan conversion can do wonders, but adds $~1500 to $~4500 to the price tag, depending upon the type of Dinan/Brembo conversion installed. And, there are issues with excessive brake dust, but don't buy the dust shields as it is theorized that they can actually redistribute (unevenly) the heat generated from the brakes and cause wear on other components. Ceramic pads will take care of the issue with brake dust, and will not be as expensive as a full Dinan/Brembo system, but be sure to get a good quality pad and change the rotors as needed.

People still have impressions of the BMWs being absolute horrors, filled with electrical gremlins, but I have not had an issue with one, owing to servicing as recommended prior to the interval coming due, and not abusing the vehicle. They're not as tempermental as many people believe, and the driving experience is hard to beat.

I just hope that I haven't given you too many ideas and we'll see posts from you in the future that you cannot live without modifing your BMW. LOL

Old 03-05-2009, 12:28 AM

15,237 posts, read 25,490,057 times
I compete in ballroom. I have NO money left over to shop with!!!

Old 03-05-2009, 12:52 AM

167 posts, read 274,094 times
Lightbulb No One Guessed

Back to the topic. Things we could do without. No one mentioned cheerleaders, drunks, teens and twentysomethings that think they are superior and talented, disrespect to elders, the democratic party, taxes, false accusations toward innocent people, and increasing obsesity.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:18 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,585,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
lol, yea the 90s stuff will never be topped but unless thoes shoes come down to like 40 bucks I'le never buy em...

I always like these; but once again I will never buy em at full price...

http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/sneakers/all/images/81387_600.jpg (broken link)
They're cool...look like a crossing of 2 different sneaks

Remember these by Penny Hardaway?

http://sneakernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/nikepennyiii-2.jpg (broken link)

He made some hot sneaks too!

Old 03-05-2009, 07:28 PM

9,342 posts, read 16,560,708 times
Default Bulimic Shopping

I used to shop compulsively. Then I started what I coined "Bulimic Shopping". Buy it and return it.

I had a credit card to a high-end department store with a zero balance. When I got the urge, I shopped. I bought anything that I wanted. The hitch was that if I kept it for two weeks and still wanted it, I would keep it. If I bought shoes, I would wear them at home on carpet. I could wear the clothes with the tags on in my home. But for two weeks I would not remove the tags or wear them out.

I found that I never truly wanted those things and would then return them after the two weeks was up. If I still really loved them, I could keep them. But the items that I purchased for emotional reasons, I returned.

Somehow, this cured me of my obsession. Just knowing that I COULD have them if I wanted to was enough. Nothing that was purchased during my "gotta go buy stuff" binges was ever kept. And after a couple of months, I got over it.

I recommend Bulimic Shopping as a form of therapy!

Old 03-05-2009, 07:36 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,038,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
They're cool...look like a crossing of 2 different sneaks

Remember these by Penny Hardaway?

http://sneakernews.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/nikepennyiii-2.jpg (broken link)

He made some hot sneaks too!

YEP!! The model in white were my fav!! Those are like 1999-98 right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships