Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:54 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Shoot I've never paid for tv - comes in just fine over the air. Just don't watch it enough to pay for more than the 10 or so channels I get. And now with HD, it's even better.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 03:53 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
People are taking advice about saving money, relationships, child rearing, health, and self esteem from a woman who is a Billionaire, never been married and is ALWAYS with her "best friend" more than her SO (wtf), never had children, and has issues with weight, and her own baggage, and IMO hates men who look like her.
I agree that she doesn't represent all women, but a lot of what you've said is downright incorrect.

1) She grew up poor, 2) She has been abused, 3) She's only rich through hard work, 4) She IS in a committed relationship - not being married legally means nothing... except legally, 5) How on earth do you know how much time she spends with her BFF vs. her SO? All we know is that she is more PRIVATE about her romantic relationship, not the number of hours spent on each. 6) Would you go to a personal trainer who doesn't know what it feels like to have been overweight at some point? Or a therapist who doesn't know what it's like to overcome personal obstacles? I would hope not. The same way, I don't want any advice from someone who hasn't had to use it.

Yes, she is "just a personality," but at least she doesn't build herself up the way Tyra Banks does. The people who build Oprah up are her audience. And if having a positive role model to believe in helps them get through, more power to them.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:07 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
In reverse, I could eliminate a couple of things here and there, but to my mind they don't matter that much anyway as I am one who does not define myself, nor judge others, based upon superficial qualities.

Really, BMWGUY, you don't DEFINE yourself by what you own???

It amazes me on a regular basis how much of what people say on these forums is in direct opposition to their member names and statuses

Regarding the original question, I used to think I had a problem with buying too many books - I would go into a bookstore just to look around (it's a calming, comforting place for me) and walk out with no less than $100 worth of books.

Fortunately, when my budget changed my spending habits changed. But reading has always been something of an addiction for me.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:00 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,606 times
Default Things We Could Do Without

Kudos to you Chowhound for watching Oprah and NO don't turn in your "mancard"...lmao. I watched the same show and the woman with the closet FULL of shoes with one pair costing I believe it was $600.00 or more...WHY would you pay so much for an article of clothing that walks in dirt, steps on gum, spit and other wretched stuff. Go figure.

Anyhow, yes I do have a relative who shops uncontrollably and spends money like a drunkin sailor. I can recall when this realative was younger that she thought that just because her checkbook still had checks in it, she still had tons of money in her account...DUH??? In a month's time, this relative ran her cell phone bill up to $450.00...yes folks...that's a lot of texting and talking. Worse case scenario...the cell phone was in her Mom's name...my sister. UGH. I told my sister to trot over to her daughter's house and snag that bad boy phone away from this daughter. She didn't because part of that phone mess was HERS!! Clothes?? YIKESS.... these same relatives have so many articles of clothing they each need 3 closets to hold them and my sister still HAD clothes from back in "the day" that she wouldn't let loose of. SUCH A DILEMMA

Hope you are feeling much better and welcome to the wonderful world of Oprah!

Old 03-04-2009, 07:07 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Yes, you are right. I think the dunks or the Nike huarache go for the 80 dollar range.. The J's are much more because "Jordans' name is on it..

You just reminded me of something. There is this shoe store in Rolland heights, Ca off the 60 and it's a small high end looking store and they have about 30 Nike odd color sneakers up for display that you can buy. I went in there just for kicks and NO LIE; the price tags were from 100 bucks all the way to 200 for a pair of sneakers.

Who ever pays that is a fool! I will stick with my 25 dollar chucks than you!
I paid something nice for some LeBrons. His stuff is way better than what MJ is making. Now the Jordans from the 90's are HOT and no sneaks could ever top those. His current stuff is Garbage.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:52 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
Really, BMWGUY, you don't DEFINE yourself by what you own???

It amazes me on a regular basis how much of what people say on these forums is in direct opposition to their member names and statuses
Ah, so now we know me, eh? That's funny, since I cannot place anyone I know with that screen name, either on C-D or in real life.

Well, my screen name is a dual purpose, but I would not expect anyone to know that on the surface, nor do I see a need to defend something like that. However, since allegations of hypocracy have been launched in my direction, here's the explanation behind it. The BMW in the screen name is an homage to my childhood. B = Brooklyn Bridge; M = Manhattan Bridge; W = Williamsburg Bridge, the first three bridges on the east side of the island of Manhattan. It's an affinity to Manhattan and a family joke since when I was a toddler and used to visit my father at his offices in the Financial District, and I was very taken with the bridges linking that part of Manhattan with Brooklyn. That is the basis of the name, and any affinity otherwise is secondary and of far diminished importance, certainly not defining me by any stretch of the imagination.

And, I have owned a few BMWs, too, but do they define my existenace? Absolutely not, since they're cars/motorcycles. Again, I do not see why people would rush to a snap judgment when they know absolutely nothing about me, and publicly decry something I posted, not from its content, but from a false preconceived notion, without statements of fact.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:23 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,179 times
Positive role model yes. That she is. I think its nice to have role models in life too. I understand she grew up poor, and has been abused, and I don't think for a second that she didn't work hard for what she got. Again all I'm saying is that (SOME) people are too quick to do certain things and put their eggs in her basket all because she says so. As far as personal trainers and therapists go I want both who are empathetic and are understanding of my situation they don't necessarily have to actually experience it. Some would make the argument that those who have actually experienced something while they are empathetic their advice tends to be (unintentionally) biased.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:56 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
I paid something nice for some LeBrons. His stuff is way better than what MJ is making. Now the Jordans from the 90's are HOT and no sneaks could ever top those. His current stuff is Garbage.

lol, yea the 90s stuff will never be topped but unless thoes shoes come down to like 40 bucks I'le never buy em...

I always like these; but once again I will never buy em at full price...

http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/sneakers/all/images/81387_600.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-04-2009, 09:59 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,979 times
If I'm really stressed out, then I shop. I shop for stupid stuff to! My hubby gets mad about it but he knows that is my vice! I don't smoke, I don't do drugs and I only drink at social events so that is how I decompress.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:01 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
If I'm really stressed out, then I shop. I shop for stupid stuff to! My hubby gets mad about it but he knows that is my vice! I don't smoke, I don't do drugs and I only drink at social events so that is how I decompress.
Good post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships