U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 05:10 PM

13,779 posts, read 17,039,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Fabulous idea. No scrap booking allowed though.
No problem!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 05:51 PM

5,612 posts, read 9,684,837 times
This woman is ridiculous.

Hey, since I'm not going on my cruise from work, I'll come on the CD cruise. Let's make it somewhere fun like the Carribean.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:07 PM

25,213 posts, read 19,059,299 times
No offense to the older ladies, but doesn't a scrap booking cruise seem like something your grandma would do.

This woman is in her early 40's.

Might as well start playing friggin bingo.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:22 PM

4,551 posts, read 6,417,757 times
Not to be rude you don't need to be worrying about it She is probably living above her means but then again who knows everything about another persons situation

Old 03-03-2009, 06:33 PM

25,213 posts, read 19,059,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Not to be rude you don't need to be worrying about it She is probably living above her means but then again who knows everything about another persons situation
You are correct, it really isn't any of my business.

But that's just so boring.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:53 PM

42,843 posts, read 54,899,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Mrs. Chow has a SIL that spends and spends and spends. This woman has a very modest salary yet she lives large. I do a lot better money wise and she seriously out spends us. I mean she's always taking trips to places has the latest gadgets, cell phones etc etc.

She has raided her 401k plan at work about 3 times that we know of, her husband is on disability and they really don't have much money, yet she's always spending. Then she turns around and tells her husband that he can't buy such and such from the grocery store because they "can't" afford it.

Just found out she's taking a 2nd "scrap booking" cruise. She can do this but her husband can't have one of his favorite foods??

Gall I tell ya.

Does anyone else know or have a family member like this.
OK, Chow, we already know you wanna take an easier, less stressful, paying less job, but you don't have the guts to do it! With 50% buddy discount, that'll be $75. We take CCs.

You remind me of a co-worker of my Mom's. This woman was taking a vacation abroad alone every year even though she was married. People were asking her why she doesn't take her husband with her sometimes and she was saying they couldn't afford that! It never occurred to her they could go (let's say) every other year together.

More seriously speaking, everybody's got different priorities. Some people would live in a studio in order to travel; some will deprive themselves of everything else in order to have an expensive house; some may eat Ramen noodles in order to afford some expensive hobby, etc., etc. cases. All of this is fine while you're on your own. Meshing these different styles leads to catastrophes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I call it having champagne tastes on a Budweiser budget
Me, too. I know about those!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
They have scrap-booking cruises????
Never heard of this, either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Oooooh, should we have a CD cruise? The trouble we would find
Oh, my! The companies making boxing gloves will make some fat dough! Perhaps the condom factories, too, who knows...

Old 03-03-2009, 07:44 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,138,776 times
Let the SIL work her way across on a slow boat to china.................................

Old 03-04-2009, 11:17 AM

11,463 posts, read 11,402,503 times
I have a SIL like that. Well, my brother is almost as bad to spend. They are always broke, like not having $ to put gas in the car, and in debt, but they just bought a new camper and big 4-wheel drive truck, they go on vacation every yr. She buys new furniture every couple yrs. I make more $$ than both of them together and I cant afford all that stuff.

Ill never forget one time they were at my house and wanted a soda (I dont buy them) so she went to get them one a few blocks away. She came back with one of those giant fountain diet cokes for herself and handed my brother a 35 cent lots o cola drink from a vending machine.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:09 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,873,641 times
Default Living Large

For Chowhound: Hey, families would not be families if there were not some folks that spend way too much money, are shopaholics and on top of that are selfish. I have a relative whose excuse for overspending is "I Deserve IT"....since when do you have to justify a haircut, manicure, lunch out with friends as doing it because you DESERVE IT. I get so tired of hearing her use that excuse. Every extra thing she does for herself is some kind of merit badge. Her husband is totally unaware of things like the fact that she put her grown daughter's cell phone under her name and seeing that the daughter is as bad about spending as her Mom is, the cell phone bill has hit record highs like $495.00. She doesn't dare tell her husband about this so she secretly pays on it while her daughter texts her merry way to the bars on weekends, shopping and going to concerts.

Me? I am retired early and spend my free time occasionally shopping with my friend Gloria and our favorite store is BIG LOTS or the DOLLAR STORE...gotta love the prices. I have also just recently discovered this website and love chatting with everyone so this does keep me out of my fav stores too much.

We can't worry about what the family does. They will never do or act the way we think they should and isn't that a good thing?

Old 03-04-2009, 01:20 PM

3,721 posts, read 1,374,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
To say she has issues would be to put it mildly.

She sent her college age son down to hit up his grandfather for money for his college tution. The grandfather was laying in the hospital didn't know if he was going to make it, and her son is visiting him just for money. They never see this guy at all, have really no relationship with him and he's on his death bed getting hit up for money for school.

Then next month she takes a friggin cruise. She trying to keep it secret from the rest of the family.

She's got a set I set you.
She's not taking the hubby with her and he punts up with this kind of treatment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships