Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 07:42 AM

78,246 posts, read 60,469,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
You've been watching too much daytime TV. They always profile the exceptions. The more extreme and rare, the better.

Its not nice to get the hopes up, of all these single mothers!
I disagree. For example, I'm done having kids but I have 2 kids (single dad) which rules out women that want a kid or don't want kids at all from my long-term potential pool. (Not to say I wouldn't date them if everyone was cool with that and everything was honest and upfront.)

What's left? Basically women that can't have kids and single-moms which will be the vast majority.

So essentially, odds are that if I were to find someone special again in the coming years it's not unlikely to be a single-mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 08:05 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,473,159 times
All those good looking kids belong to me! All the ugly ones belong to MLV!!

Old 03-05-2009, 08:12 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,597,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
All those good looking kids belong to me! All the ugly ones belong to MLV!!
WHY can't I be pretty, WHY, WHY

Old 03-05-2009, 08:41 AM

41 posts, read 126,485 times
Wow! I feel really bad for these women, regardless of how they came about their "single w/child" fate. 80% of my female friends, in their 20-30s, are single professionals with NO children (and only one divorcee in the bunch) and they are having a hellish time in the dating pool - so I can't imagine what these single moms are dealing with!

For over ten years my birth control has not failed me once - but if this ever happens while I'm unmarried: abortion abortion abortion.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:47 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,067,061 times
Has your birth control prevented you from getting and spreading stds? If not try using a condom it just might help.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:13 AM

41 posts, read 126,485 times
Condoms are called birth control as well, so yeah 60-seconds, no stds on this girl - thanks for the question!

Old 03-05-2009, 09:38 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,658,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arf Arf View Post
What's wrong with you people? You make it sound like it's the woman's fault. I'm sorry, but isn't a penis involved somewhere along the line? I doubt most of these women were artificially inseminated. When they got pregant it sounds like they were responsible enough to accept it and take care of the child. Where's the father?

The sad thing is that the woman is labored with the child and has to face the consequences alone. She is the one who is vilified and the father can run off and screw whoever else he wants. It's a shame.
Sure I agree, but as a hetero man I am only interested in women, not men, so whatever the men did is irrelevant. I imagine if I was a woman I would view men that have babies all over the place the same way.

I'm positive that there are single moms that are great. No question. Just for me I consider it to be more a higher risk. Just as if dating someone that drank a lot is higher risk, due to the chance of alcoholism, or dating someone that is a shopoholic is a higher risk, due to the chance of financial problems.

No person is perfect, but some people have issues so large they could impact my life in a negative way. I am a responsible person who has set up a relatively stress free way of living for myself and I don't want other people making my life hell. For me I just want to date and have a good time and I'm not in the business of mopping up other peoples messes.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:04 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,900,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1 View Post
for the OP, would you rather date a woman in her 30s who can pass for late 20s with no kids, or someone closer to your age with a kid or two? Question for anyone really, just curious. (assuming similar looks, personality, intelligence etc.)

30 w no kids...thats an easy one.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:24 AM

7 posts, read 15,669 times
Exclamation 26yr. Pround single mother

Really I think its the men to blame a lot of the time. To be a single mother is not something I think many women chose, but rather the men who bail out when reality hits or just plain refuse to take responsibility when times get tough. I would never hide the fact that I have a beautiful baby girl who's about to turn One year old tomorrow. Yes it takes two to tango, but more often then not I believe it's the women who wants the "white picket fence dream", And the man who will get engaged insist on being together forever until it comes time to change a diaper. Being a single mother takes an enormous amount of strength. It is a huge problem how many women are single mothers because the men didn't learn responsibility, not because the women was careless.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:41 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,631,603 times
Part of dating means accepting what's out there and not complaining about it. I know a woman in her 40s who complains that all the men her age are fat, bald and have kids. I'm in my 30s and most of the women I meet in my age group have been married and a lot of them have kids. What I don't do is complain about the pool I'm swimming in. That would be like going out into the job market and complaining that all the jobs don't pay 6 figures. You make due with what's there. Now, that's not to say you should date a single parent. If you're not willing to deal with the extra issues that come up, then that's fine. One thing I don't agree with is that you'll be asked to take responsibility for her child or that you'd be walking into a ready-made family. Every single mom I've ever dated never expected me to be her child's father. What they wanted was for me to be that child's friend and accept that he or she would always come first. A lot of guys can't deal with that last part. Again, that's fine if you're one of those guys. But some of us can. And if you're one of those guys who hopes to have a family someday, guess what? When you have kids, you'll be coming in second behind that child. If you think you'll always be your wife or girlfriend's main focus, grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships