Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:02 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times

Advertisements

I used to be extremely trusting of pretty much everyone - just assumed the best all the time. That has clearly proven (more often than not) to be an erroneous assumption on my part - so the general public as a whole has lost my respect, but I tend to go case by case when dealing with individuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 02:08 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,295,747 times
It is both. It should be a given until someone contaminates his/her rights to it. I think Pikantari gave a good answer.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:08 AM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
I was raised in a household where name calling or saying "shut up" was forbidden. It was considered mean and in poor taste. we should never speak that way to each other. It helps to be reared in a home with respect. If you demand respect, you may be able to instill that in others.
i'm so glad you made this point chino about name-calling and disrespectful verbal interactions. You are so right. So many people just don't get that it is in poor taste, and it is offensive behavior. Thanks for helping to raise the standards here in CD forum!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:45 AM

14,967 posts, read 9,797,636 times
Default a twist of sorts...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
How do you define it?

Is it to be given freely or is it earned?

For me, (my opinion for the whole post)... I find it difficult at the very least to define respect without defining love in the same breath. I must add a caveat... this is primarily true inside relationships ( marriage) between "good willed people"... to deny love or respect within the bounds of marriage can reach levels of "emotional abuse".

Speaking to gender specific enablement, that is esteeming, (male and female) each of us have a primary lens we see the world through, defined as love for women and respect for men. Of course we need both, but we do have a default filtering mechanism. To deny love or respect, disables relational growth and creates a cycle of retaliation, or a crazy cycle that is self feeding... he denies love she holds back respect, she denies respect holds back love. From a Biblical perspective, the Bible exhorts wives to respect their husbands and husbands love your wives. This is not conditional for marriage, in fact the very opposite is true.

Love and respect is actually a responsibility. We have an obligation to cultivate the ground around our spouses. The parable of the sower points to the fact that no one needs to tell the seed ( man and woman) what to do or what to be. Would a farmer tell the corn seed to grow into a apple tree? In fact if he treated corn like an apple he may actually kill the seed. In the same way each of us have been given a responsibility to cultivate by loving or respecting our chosen mates.

food for thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships