Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 12:11 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,330,273 times

Advertisements

What would you do if:

You meet a guy. You get along w/ him OK; he's nice, friendly, tries hard to accommodate you, and like you he is looking for a serious relationship. Things seem to be going OK and by date 3, the first kiss happens. But that is all, and you do not have sex with him. Not even close.

So now you think you have a new boyfriend. You then get together with a longtime girlfriend of yours, a few years younger, and break the news. Only it turns out that this close GF of yours knows him - he and she dated a few years previously, and she doesn't seem happy to be reminded of him. In fact, she tells you some negative stuff about him. Then you confront him and he admits that the 2 of them dated, without denying anything.

1. How would that impact your new "relationship" with this guy?
2. The stuff he said ... nothing like "he's evil/a player/a bastard," but rather, something like "he can be cold" and "he was cool when he broke up with me."
3. Would your pride be hurt, that he once dated and slept with one of your close girlfriends? Would you be jealous? Would you even feel "betrayed?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 12:13 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,025 times
I would ask him about it, but at the same time I would be hesitant about taking things further. i would hate for things to get awkward, since both he AND my friend would be in my life.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I would ask him about it, but at the same time I would be hesitant about taking things further. i would hate for things to get awkward, since both he AND my friend would be in my life.
Would you be jealous that this guy you're beginning to like once dated (and kissed, made love to, etc... bla bla bla) your friend?

Old 03-05-2009, 12:44 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
It would depend on the nature of the "bad stuff" my friend told me.

Quote:
2. The stuff he said ... nothing like "he's evil/a player/a bastard," but rather, something like "he can be cold" and "he was cool when he broke up with me."
That can be said about many exes. Unless it's something very specific, I would dismiss whatever an ex-girlfriend had to say out of hand.

Quote:
3. Would your pride be hurt, that he once dated and slept with one of your close girlfriends? Would you be jealous? Would you even feel "betrayed?"
No. Why? I mean, assuming I am an adult in this scenario, I wouldn't expect him to be a virgin (nor would I want him to be one), and I don't see how logically, the fact of him sleeping with one of my girlfriends would make me feel insecure. As far as jealousy, I would be more worried about my girlfriend being jealous. I also don't see any reason to feel "betrayed". That said, this would still be a "triangle" and an awkward situation.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:51 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,986,990 times
I don't know what you'd be jealous of? You both dated him at different times.
However, you will have to choose between the two of them. Right now this is just awkward... you are dating your friend's former flame. But if the relationship between you and this man continues it will very likely cause problems with your friend. The choice is yours ... which is more important to you? You won't have to tell one of them to hit the road. But you must understand that over time you may loose one of them.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
I don't know what you'd be jealous of? You both dated him at different times.
However, you will have to choose between the two of them. Right now this is just awkward... you are dating your friend's former flame. But if the relationship between you and this man continues it will very likely cause problems with your friend. The choice is yours ... which is more important to you? You won't have to tell one of them to hit the road. But you must understand that over time you may loose one of them.
hahaha.

I'm the man in the situation. This happened to me a while back.

I discussed it with a good lady friend the other day, with whom I'd spoken about the issue when it happened. Lady friend said my new GF who quickly became an ex said she probably felt jealous and even betrayed.

Women, go figure...

Old 03-05-2009, 01:00 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Quote:
It's still very early in the relationship; I don't expect to know everything about the guy. But since this came up, I'd want to know what went wrong.

Quote:
I can be as well. It all depends on the situation.

Quote:
No, no and no.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:03 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,025 times
Quote:
Would you be jealous that this guy you're beginning to like once dated (and kissed, made love to, etc... bla bla bla) your friend?
No. But I would be cautious.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
No. But I would be cautious.
What I think was wrong in that situation was that my new "GF" refused to tell me what my ex told her. I pressed her and she said, "just one comment." So I said, "well, and what was that comment?" But she wouldn't say.

Obviously it was something negative, and it was enough to kill the new relationship (though there were other factors).

Old 03-05-2009, 01:27 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,485 times
Quote:
What I think was wrong in that situation was that my new "GF" refused to tell me what my ex told her.
Now, that she was justified in doing. I assume whatever the friend told her was said in confidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships