Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 01:51 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times

Advertisements

You should put up a no trespassing sign at all the entrances to your property. That way, if he does set foot on your path to knock on the door, you can have him arrested for trespassing as the notice is in clear view, and he knowingly violated your property rights. To be enforceable in most jurisdictions, the sign must be conspicuous as well. This alleviates you having to tell the subject to leave if they should knock on your door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 03:27 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
No matter where you are, you should KNOW where the police department is. If someone is following you, drive up to the local PD. When I was a stupid teenager I had a truckload of cowboys follow me home. They didn't know the little town I lived in. I drove my car up to the PD, one of the cops came out, saw they had me blocked in. I jumpd out of the car, told him what was going on, he retained them at the police department until I could get home so they couldn't follow me.

If someone is following you, don't risk an accident. Find a law enforcement officer, if you can get the license plate number even better. The police are extremely understanding.
I know, years ago I had a rapist try to run my car off the road at 2am. There happened to be a cop on patrol and saw this from behind and pulled the guy over way ahead of me on the highway. I pulled over way behind I was so shaken up. The cop had called for backup and he walked back to my car and told me that the guy spent time in jail for rape. They held him and told me to go on my way! Scary!

Old 03-07-2009, 03:36 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Okay, so I went to the police station today b/c my neighbor heard someone pull up in front of our house at 4:00 am--of course we don't know if it was him, but she thought it was significantly odd enough to take note, though she didn't know the story of the stalking until today. Ay yi yi. Got the fryin' pan ready.

At least the police can look him up and see if it's likely to be a problem--I'd rest easier if he doesn't have a prior history of this, but since he's 50, he probably does. I mean, they can't really do anything, except stay on alert for now--so far the only thing we know for sure about is the phone calls.
Stepka, is there any trustworthy male that can stay with you tell this blows over??

Old 03-07-2009, 03:37 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Stepka, is there any trustworthy male that can stay with you tell this blows over??
Great idea.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:37 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Ouch. My future ex was here yesterday and saw how shook up I was and didn't offer to stay b/c he had something better to do. Otherwise no, there isn't anyone. The police promised increased surveillance on my neighborhood. Fortunately I have good locks with deadbolts on my doors and have spoken with neighbors. Last night was my biggest concern since I was afraid he might be enraged about being told to bug off. Gosh, I've gotten so jumpy--I'm usually never fearful, but this has me peering out of windows at night.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Ouch. My future ex was here yesterday and saw how shook up I was and didn't offer to stay b/c he had something better to do. Otherwise no, there isn't anyone. The police promised increased surveillance on my neighborhood. Fortunately I have good locks with deadbolts on my doors and have spoken with neighbors. Last night was my biggest concern since I was afraid he might be enraged about being told to bug off. Gosh, I've gotten so jumpy--I'm usually never fearful, but this has me peering out of windows at night.
Do some homemade security alarms...put things on the window sills so if a window opens it will fall...at the doors...pull all shades...keep exterior lights on...let your neighbors know what is going on...

Also, we had an issue with car break ins in our neighborhood and I called the police and they set up a huge spotlight in the field next to my home. This light was on a HUGE pole, maybe 40-50 feet high and the light was so darn bright it would have lit RFK Stadium!! Do you think your police department could bring one out? They set it up and the light would probably deter him and let him know you have made law enforcement aware.

Please keep us posted. There are some great websites about home security...google them!

Old 03-07-2009, 10:29 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
When I was in my 20s I had this guy who wouldn't take NO for an answer, he called my parents all hours of the night. Not long after I moved out to the next town over. This was in Texas by the way, she was a gun owner and would go target shooting for fun. When I told her about my stalker, she would bring home her targets that were an outline of a person and tape them to the front door. We had one of those outside screened doors but with plexi glass in it. It made the point pretty clear that not only did the owner of the house have a gun but she was a pretty good shot. Thats what finally made him stop.

He used to call my friends at all hours, he would drive by my parents house or anywhere else he thought I might be. It was crazy.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
It is also a good idea to lock all windows at night and keep some lights on outside. When I am alone which is most of the time, I leave the spots on around the house. And the front door light. If you do not have any maybe hook some up. Doubles are good to have at each corner of the home, front and back. Criminals do not like lights.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:56 PM

Have we heard from Stepka today?? I am a bit concerned...

Old 03-08-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Have we heard from Stepka today?? I am a bit concerned...
Me too! Hope everything is ok. Just checked her stats, she posted at 12:34pm today in another thread. So she is ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships