U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-08-2009, 07:33 AM

10,530 posts, read 6,473,389 times

Advertisements

Don't knock alter egos.

At least you're never alone with schizophrenia.

Am I?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 01:50 PM

4,838 posts, read 5,115,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheaded View Post
I am amazed at how many people seem to have a completely different alter ego displayed online.
Online is best for people at the extremes.

If you are a sociopath (or worse) the internet allows you to plot each move carefully. I suspect that while such types have always been able to successfully cover their tracks for a considerable period, the internet is a boon to them because, they can get deeper into a relationship without running the risk of being tripped up. All the while, they can carefully present themselves as something they aren't. Additionally, since they know that they will eventually be outed, they can more easily use the internet to be trolling with more than one line.

At the other extreme is the rational type, who carefully considers a situation. Such people are not welcome in face to face situations, where emotionalism reigns supreme. On line, they can carefully craft and present a position. While this is still only appreciated by a minority, at least it can be aired. In person, they must try to suppress their true nature (to be clear thinking and rational) in order to fit in and be accepted.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:59 PM

3,441 posts, read 4,986,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheaded View Post
Wow I am fairly new to forums... I am amazed at how many people seem to have a completely different alter ego displayed online.

Having read a few threads and participated in one or two.(hehehehe) I think there is value in the anonymity of the web. A self help outlet so to speak.

Do you know any extremes where the librarian is the dominatrix online...

Or the hard core marine is the best "dear abby" online.....

Yes, I have noticed this as well, but it depends on what kind of websites and forms you go to. Not to toot my own horn but I do spend time on higher end/scholarly forums and as far as people coming across a bit exaggerated it's pretty slim from my experience.

However, if you go to sites like myspace and others I find that there is a large percentage of people who completely make up an alter ego.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:15 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,846,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Yes, I have noticed this as well, but it depends on what kind of websites and forms you go to. Not to toot my own horn but I do spend time on higher end/scholarly forums and as far as people coming across a bit exaggerated it's pretty slim from my experience.

However, if you go to sites like myspace and others I find that there is a large percentage of people who completely make up an alter ego.
Yeah no joke. For me the anonymity allows my to vent somethings I can't/wont talk to my family about. I do not take on a different personality though.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:40 PM

714 posts, read 894,841 times
My oh my....I have to say.... HECK YEA IT DOES!!!!!!!! People posting fake pics of themselves, fake careers, fake circle of friends...the whole cha-bang....I even know of "someone" who has created 2 (that I am aware of) Myspace pages...full of fake pics....and most of the pics don't even look like the same guy!!! I don't understand what causes someone to do this....perhaps your life is BORING? Pathetic? Lonley? OR...You're just so flat out fugly that no one will talk to you otherwise....STILL, there is no excuse for this kind of decitefullness...NONE. *wipe brow* rant over......move along now..nothing to see here....

Old 03-09-2009, 06:49 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,829,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odie View Post
My oh my....I have to say.... HECK YEA IT DOES!!!!!!!! People posting fake pics of themselves, fake careers, fake circle of friends...the whole cha-bang....I even know of "someone" who has created 2 (that I am aware of) Myspace pages...full of fake pics....and most of the pics don't even look like the same guy!!! I don't understand what causes someone to do this....perhaps your life is BORING? Pathetic? Lonley? OR...You're just so flat out fugly that no one will talk to you otherwise....STILL, there is no excuse for this kind of decitefullness...NONE. *wipe brow* rant over......move along now..nothing to see here....
I'd say some people do this because of "society's" view of people these days. If you work in one type of career people might automatically think you fit into such a group. So some create fake selves to not fit into these types of stereotypes. The big issue is after they create these fake personalities people get use to such and after confrontation everything blows up and gets skewed and so on and so forth and then everything gets worse.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:53 PM

Ronzou...I think this person does it for other reasons....but who am I to judge...My only complaint is don't lure people into your sick world and then make up more lies to cover the "original lies".

Old 03-09-2009, 07:04 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,829,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odie View Post
Ronzou...I think this person does it for other reasons....but who am I to judge...My only complaint is don't lure people into your sick world and then make up more lies to cover the "original lies".
Didn't mean to skew it, I should have said I was speaking more generally of some people. Apologies!

I completely agree with you as well. Because when people get caught into one person's web of lies it comes crashing down for everyone.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:10 PM

No apologies needed lol....I just had to rant...lol... *fans self and calms down*

Old 03-09-2009, 08:01 PM

2,918 posts, read 1,009,423 times
I personally believe it is not the "fault" of the internet or any other tool. People who are inclined to be fake and put on different personas on the internet are just as much like that with different people in "real" life. Yet again, the cause of the problem is not the tool, but the integrity, or lack thereof, of those who use it, or choose to use it in that manner. Usually the kind who spreads rumors, backstabs, gossips about others and trash talks them, acts totally differently around different people etc... such people are very much prevalent in general society internet or no internet. It is those types who are inclined to believe they need an alter ego on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships