Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 11:31 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,601,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
Lots of people are happily married. It doesn't make them superior to anyone else in any way.

I know they are, myself included. I was just commenting on Mr. Pessimistic's post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 01:00 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
Mr?

Old 03-13-2009, 01:09 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
I was just commenting on Mr. Pessimistic's post.
Quote:
some people just love to be unhappy in life
There is nothing "pessimistic" about what temptation posted.
It was realistic, not pessimistic.
Nor does it make the person "unhappy" who raises such an honest observation.
That post asked about people in denial, and people lying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
I wonder how many people are in denial? And how many are straight up lieing....
It is realistic that a lot of people are in denial, and do lie, about how great their marriages are. That is true. It is not pessimistic. It is not cynical. It is an accurate insight and an honest observation.

It is interesting to see how quickly people jump to name-calling ("pessimistic" "unhappy") simply when someone disagrees, or posts a differing view. Please people, disagree, fine, but leave out the name-calling and disparaging labels.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
There is nothing "pessimistic" about what temptation posted.
It was realistic, not pessimistic.
That post asked about people in denial, and people lying.

It is realistic that a lot of people are in denial, and do lie, about how great their marriages are. that is true. It is not pessimistic. It is not cynical. It is an accurate insight and an honest observation.
Given the few responses that are on here, I don't think the ones who have posted are in denial or lying.

I, myself, am not a liar, and have no reason to lie to a bunch of strangers and/or acquaintances online.

I have a great marriage and life. I'm sorry if that's not the popular response.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:18 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Given the few responses that are on here, I don't think the ones who have posted are in denial or lying.

I, myself, am not a liar, and have no reason to lie to a bunch of strangers and/or acquaintances online.

I interpret the post inquiring about how many people are in denial or lying, as "people in general in life" not "people posting on this small thread in this small forum." So my views and response address "people in life in general" rather than any particular individual on this thread.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-13-2009 at 02:04 PM..

Old 03-13-2009, 01:20 PM

You really shouldn't let internet posts get to so much. I'm sorry that we hit a sore spot with you.

Thanks for the advice sweetie

Old 03-13-2009, 01:21 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Default 28 years

We've been together for 28 and married for 20.

I truly can't imagine not being his wife.
I'd rather spend time with him than anybody else.
He's the arms I want around me when I'm down.

I look forward to seeing him every night when I get home.
I sometimes can't believe we've been together this long.

And when someone asks him how long we've been together? He answers "not long enough"

We're a keeper.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:29 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
Quote:

Mona I am happy that you are genuinely happy. I was simply making an observation about how many people are in denial. I wasnt saying EVERYBODY is in denial or lieing, so it wasnt an attack on you!

As for me being pessimistic, I really am quite the optimist, yet I do find that many people who say something and later get defensive about it, are just putting on a show.

Sorry I wasnt trying to offend anyone.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Mona I am happy that you are genuinely happy. I was simply making an observation about how many people are in denial. I wasnt saying EVERYBODY is in denial or lieing, so it wasnt an attack on you!

As for me being pessimistic, I really am quite the optimist, yet I do find that many people who say something and later get defensive about it, are just putting on a show.

Sorry I wasnt trying to offend anyone.
No offense taken at all. I was never offended by you and hope you weren't either. The thread was going well until the drama unfolded. Like I explained to you, it was all tongue-in-cheek.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:48 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:

Well, that's the problem. When someone is a hammer, the rest of the world looks like a nail. Likewise, if one has had unhappy relationships because of the poor choice of a SO, poor communication skills, poor attitudes, ongoing neuroses, self-centeredness, or any number of other reasons, then that person typically believes that good marriages are a rarity. What's more, people like that savor the role of killjoys for the rest of us, warning that doom and heartbreak is just around the corner just because their relationships didn't last.

I suppose I could have married several different women in my dating years, but I also knew that each of those relationships just didn't have the sound foundation I wanted. So I waited until I found the right one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships