Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 05:51 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,956,915 times

Advertisements

So far I agree with this:

It would be more accurate to say that the female sexual instinct is hypergamous.
Men may have a tendency to seek sexual variety, but women have
simple tastes in the manner of Oscar Wilde: They are always satisfied with the best. By defi nition, only one man can be the best.

I can vouch I'm that simple!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 06:01 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,373,854 times
It seems very one-sided. i didnt read all of it due to time constraints, but what about the female point of view in all this? This "argument" about who to blame could go on forever.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:38 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,159,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius View Post
I feel like a college professor asking students to actively engage the class reading....
Celcius, I *am* a college professor. Celcius, the article you posted a link to is a bunch of misogynistic, stereotypical garbage. It is a bunch of reactionary bile -- wing nut talking points tarted up to look like serious academic scholarship. There is no place for hate filled crap like that here.

For those who are not familiar, the Occidental Quarterly is a “journal” that is, in fact, a racist and sexist outlet for the publication of some of the most obnoxious opinion on the stage today. It is the KKK on paper, a venue by which hatemongers can spew their putrid lies and disseminate their agenda of bias and hate.

Newsweek magazine says that the Occidental Quarterly is “a magazine that espouses white nationalism and whose statement of principles calls for limiting immigration to ‘selected people of European ancestry.’” See: SITES: DATING THE WHITE WAY | Newsweek Periscope | Newsweek.com

This “journal” is tracked on the Hatewatch by the well-respected Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks and publicizes the activities of hate groups. See: The Occidental Quarterly | Hatewatch | Southern Poverty Law Center

Just look at this shocking text – currently posted right on the front of the Occidental Quarterly webpage – from the current editor of this hate-filled rag:
"Prepare to fight to the finish, or your kind will vanish.

“In the last year, one crisis has followed another. First there was a housing mortgage crisis, then a liquidity crisis that led to a banking crisis, then a dollar crisis, then a credit crisis, then a geopolitical crisis, then an energy crisis, then a crisis of consumer confidence, and finally a political crisis at the highest level of the state, involving a crisis of meaning that brought a negro to power—a negro symbolizing everything against which the American once defined himself, and thus symbolizing a transvaluation of the very basis of the American's original being.”

See: The Occidental Quarterly

If that is not enough to turn your stomach then read this, also from their web page:
“The election of Barack Obama as president of the United States is a good thing for white nationalism.

Whites will regain control over our nation and our destiny only when we have a change of consciousness. First, we must again think of ourselves as a distinct ethnic group with distinct interests—interests that often conflict with those of other ethnic groups. Second, we must again believe that we are entitled—nay, obligated—to take our own side when our interests conflict with those of other groups.

Currently white identity and interests have been suppressed by the ideologies of universalism, multiculturalism, and white guilt. White consciousness and pride still exist, of course, but have been driven into the subconscious mind. Our race is a sleeping giant. The task of white nationalism is to waken it. And Barack Obama can only help us....”

See: The Occidental Quarterly
I object in the strongest possible terms to the posting here at CD of articles from publications like this, and the sexist view points outlined in the linked article posted by celcius make me sick.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:51 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,956,915 times
Well, I agree with some points. The media DOES promote unreasonable expectations and promiscuous behavior. Date rape is also baloney in my book. There's no rape happening in a hotel room at 2 a.m.!

Old 03-08-2009, 07:24 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,728,387 times
After reading professorsenator's comments--a poster I totally trust BTW--I'll decline to waste my time on the article, but I would like to comment on these statements by the OP:
Quote:
Why honest young-middle-aged men cannot find wives or even sex
- Everything the feminist movement has done to the sexual regime
One problem that I have with the feminist revolution and then the sexual revolution is that it seems to have mainly benefited men--I could count on two hands the number of dates I had when I was young who went off on a temper tantrum when I didn't put out on the first date--of course that may just be explained by the types of guys I went out with, but they didn't seem like the type. A couple of them went so far as to try to drag me into the bedroom--and I was not a tease. That was over 30 years ago. We may have gained some freedoms, but it's not all been good for women. I know too many women who still do the lions share of the housework and raising the kids, and who hold down a fulltime job.

Give me a break too buddy--my honest middle aged husband just dumped me, and he's finding plenty of sex.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:17 PM

795 posts, read 1,387,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
<everything>
I want to thank you for bringing all of this to my attention. The truth is that I sincerely don't know what the Occidental Quarterly is; I actually found this essay on another Relationships forum board. I agree with your statements about the journal from what you've quoted, and I'm sorry for introducing that to this forum.

Some words on why I posted the article. Yes, I can see it has a misogynistic undertone. Then again, I'm a bit desensitized from the feminist drivel I encounter on a daily basis at a school overrun by them. You're right in saying it is reactionary, and that is part of the reason I understand it. As a young male with an active social and sex life, I can say I consistently observe many of the statements made by Devlin, including the ones on women. I am not a misogynist nor a sexist, but many claims by the essay have helped me understand what I see so regularly and there's at least something to be said for that.

I didn't post this to start a sexes battle, but more to discuss some points, such as the ones sierraAZ and others brought up.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:38 PM

37,461 posts, read 45,673,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
I'm not sure, but if you were planning on taking your kids to see Watchmen, because you know, it's based on a comic book...HALT! iT'S based on an Adult Graphic Novel and has the hottest kinky sex scenes I've seen in movies recently! Not to mention the all powerful hero runs around well endowedly naked through the whole movie!
You got that right. I took my son to see it. Ugh! He is 16, but still, I was uncomfortable with the level of sexuality in it. I usually am very conservative as to what I let him see, and I knew this was "R", but I guess I figured that since it was based on comic book type characters, it would be mild.

Boy was I wrong. Really, the dumbest thing I've done recently.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:24 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,835,192 times
Default Schizophrenic Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius View Post
There are literally dozens of subjects in this to discuss, and so I want to open it up to the forum and have a discussion. If people have the time & interest to read it, I await your discourse.
The article is essentially schizophrenic.

On the one hand it fairly accurately describes the malaise that had gripped the relationship between the sexes over the past 40 years. (there are those who will vehemently disagree, but in my view, they are just poor observers and/or likely to have some social or ideological axe to grind) However, nothing was said here has not been clearly documented elsewhere.

Then it gives a prescription that defies logic and would require a draconian police state regimen to enforce.

An example of its flaws is the references to societies of the past. While the absence of popular media in the past, to tell women what they "need" in a mate, is a valid one, the real issue is that societies of the past constantly had wars and other things to cull the young male population. If such a situation existed today, (say 40% of the available male population were eliminated by war and economic calamity) the remaining young men would be quite happy with their selection and the young women would stoically accept their lot. Then the prescriptions given would certainly not be needed.

The real explanation is the failure of feminism, as a movement, to primarily change how women deal with this situation. Far too much emphasis is placed on changing men, but this is an impossible task, given that most women do not make the basic changes required in themselves. Unfortunately they continue to behave in ways that undermine the goals of the movement at every turn.

One minor example: The women's movement has continuously harped about men only being interested in women's appearance, yet any objective analysis would indicate that this is as important, if not more important to women as it is to men. They are hardly setting an example. Is their intention instead to shame men into changing by vigorously pursuing the same actions they decry in men?

Last edited by NotARedneck; 03-09-2009 at 01:56 AM..

Old 03-09-2009, 01:33 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,835,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Give me a break too buddy--my honest middle aged husband just dumped me, and he's finding plenty of sex.
Do you have him under surveillance? Or is this just your take on the situation? I.e. the grass is always greener on the other side.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:36 AM

15,639 posts, read 40,935,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You got that right. I took my son to see it. Ugh! He is 16, but still, I was uncomfortable with the level of sexuality in it. I usually am very conservative as to what I let him see, and I knew this was "R", but I guess I figured that since it was based on comic book type characters, it would be mild.

Boy was I wrong. Really, the dumbest thing I've done recently.
My son and his friends went to see it last night. They are under 17 so they bought tickets to another movie and snuck into Watchmen. When I went back to pick these guys up, they were all talking about the nudity, sex, the blue guy and all this weird stuff. I thought they were making stuff up just to shock me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships