Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 04:30 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Date as many as you find that you want to spend time with. I personally see nothing wrong with that. My experience however (and perhaps this is just because I'm a gal ) is that I will always find ONE person that I'd rather be with, over the others. That's really what dating is all about, right?

That said, if sex is entering the picture, the lady would be a fool if she did not ask if you were seeing others. And only a cad would have multiple partners.
But I don't think you fall into that category. At least I hope not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 04:40 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Good grief...only one of course. There are a lot of pitfalls here like calling the wrong woman by the wrong name, scheduling two dates on the same night, ...........
Men are better organized than women, and budding philanderers are always looking for ways to practice their multi tasking. It will prove invaluable once they get married.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:51 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I think it's pretty standard to "date" a few at a time when you are talking about internet dating services. I'm sure the women that are also looking aren't exclusive to someone they just met either.

Of course, by the time you find out they are an axe murderer it's usually too late.
By then you'll be already in the coffin and missing two toes. LOL.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:56 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Honesty is important right from the start. If youre going to have sex with one, then you have to figure out if that means that you two will be an item. Even if she says no, then you have to stop dating others if youre already having sex with one several times a month.
When your not, then you can go back to dating again.
I'd suggest you wait till you get to know them better before jumping into bed with them, but you're a man, its up to you if you want just sex or a real relationship. Just do be honest about it.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:40 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,020 times
I may be putting my 2 cents in where it isn't wanted just yet... but here goes.

There is nothing wrong with going out with multiple people at different times and having fun! Lunches, coffee, a movie partner, harmless buddies, where would there be a problem?

After pointing that out, I'm going to lay a little heavier on the fact that you are asking about "dating", not making more friends. If I was going to go out with a man who asked me to dinner, I wouldn't stake any claim in him or something silly like that. But if he called back and wanted to see me again because he had a good time, and we keep going out, 1 of 2 things is going to happen, whether anyone wants them to or not. It will either develop into something more intimate, or serious, ....or we will stay buddies, and probably not see as much of each other as we would when I started (or he eventually started) dating someone more serious, that he or I WOULD want to be more intimate with. ...after all, who needs 6 movie buddies on call 24/7, when you've found the person you want to become more exclusive with!

So for as little stake as you are putting into the possibility that these women will not be hurt by repeatedly going out and either a) it never evolving into a more in-depth relationship, or b) beginning to have feelings for you that they have to keep uncomfortably incheck, because they are no more than one of your many chosen companions - ask yourself this: how would you feel if you found one that you were seriously attracted to on a more exclusive level, and she kept you at arms-length, because she going out to dinner that night with internet_date #7 instead, and got your dates mixed up.

Are you fishing for more friends? Don't go to an internet dating website for that. Go to starbucks and strike up a conversation with the couple sitting across from you, or the guy in line with the bright orange shoes asking for a bucket full of whipped cream!

Are you looking for that special someone that you would like to build a relationship with and see where it goes? Don't juggle more than 1 at a time. It's disrespectful, to me. After "DATING" her, you should be able to make the decision on your own whether you see a future with her or not, without having to be trying on another handful of girls at the same time.

My feelings wouldn't be hurt if on the first date the guy said something like "yeah I'm pretty new to this internet dating scene, a few of my past dates this last week have been one hell of an adventure! lol" Because tonight, I'm his newest adventure and hopefully he won't run screaming for the hills like his last ones.

My feelings would be hurt if the date went really well, and he asked to see me again and again, and I became aware of the fact that he had several other females lined up in case I couldn't make the 7:30 showing.

Who wants to be the backup girl?

Old 03-09-2009, 07:59 PM

670 posts, read 2,114,620 times
You can certainly date more than one woman as long as you're not making sexual moves on them. Do more than kiss one of them, and your dating another woman is going to be misconstrued by most women. There might be a few out there that are interested in casual sex and serial date themselves, but don't count on it. If you get to the point where you want to jump her bones, and she feels the same way, you better be prepared for her to be extremely hurt if you don't want to focus your attention on her, and only her, at that point. Like men, some women move into a sexual relationship with a guy because they are emotionally connected and they expect that a special relationship will occur as a result; some women do it because they are trying to build a stronger relationship/partnership with the guy and sex is the next building block on that foundation of friendship; other women do it because they have strong sex drives themselves and want to "conquer" you, and some women live more for the moment and spontaneously "dive" into the possibility of love/relationships without pausing.

In short: If you're just looking for friends to date, keep it friendly. If you want more, don't expect friends with benefits to work out.

Just my two cents. What do I know.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:41 PM

930 posts, read 2,423,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, I've decided to get back to dating...VERY low key, just dates and not going to move fast or focus in on one gal. (Do not get me wrong, this is not an attempt to get a lot of women in the sack but rather to develop a broader, healthy social life.)

Anyway, I haven't really quite been in this situation before so looking for some advice on how to handle it. I think that just having dates and having fun, low-key stuff is cool. Also, unless specifically asked I wouldn't mention other gals I'm dating...I would not offer an exclusive relationship...unless things were to really start to develop.

Pitfalls? Advice? Let me have it.
It depends entirely on whether or not you plan on having any sex. Quality single women tend to have a view of sex as monogamous, and they do not take lightly you banging sheryl tonight and samantha tomorrow night. Guys like to view that as a win/win :0

Old 03-09-2009, 08:43 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,142,705 times
as long as no one finds out about each other, then it's all good.

once they do find out, though...that's when you turn on the charm by proposing a threesome :-)

Old 03-09-2009, 08:50 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Heh, I know my dear buddy MG is not gonna welcome my opinion as he doesn't welcome others (and most likely will choose to ignore it), but I'll put my 4 cents (or is it 1.5 these days...) anyway. You'll either be focusing on one woman soon enough and going just as fast or you won't care for any of them. We are what we are, MG, and not much can be done about it. What you're talking about simply is not YOU!

Old 03-09-2009, 09:03 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,606,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
as long as no one finds out about each other, then it's all good.

once they do find out, though...that's when you turn on the charm by proposing a threesome :-)
Amanda, your a naughty girl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships