U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-10-2009, 07:00 PM

3,486 posts, read 3,311,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
So basically you want to whine when one person says they dont prefer skinny women yet on this site where women pretty much compare short men to obese people or lepers i shouldnt judge all women but u can judge most men??
First of all, I don't personally care who prefers whom. Obviously there are enough partners to go around for practically every type. I simply disputed another poster's assertion that men, as a general rule, do not prefer thin women. Who Mr. Cat actually finds attractive makes absolutely no difference to me.

Second, I haven't seen any posts comparing short men to obese people or lepers. (Incidentally, what would be wrong with that? Are you, perchance, saying that obese people or lepers aren't datable? Oops.) I suspect you may have dug through my posts and found one where I stated that the willingness to date someone has nothing to do with respect to that person; and I said that I could very much respect an obese leper yet would not dream of getting in bed with one. How in the world you construed that statement as judgmental is mystifying to me -- I was saying just the opposite, that declining to date someone does not necessarily represent a judgment of one's character, to say nothing of judging an entire gender. Apart from that, please demonstrate some proof that the majority of women on this site compare short men to obese lepers.

Third, I cannot fathom where you got the idea that I judge most men. I don't even know what you mean. Height? Most men are taller than me, so this is simply nonsense. Preferences? Everyone's got them. You have your own, don't you -- be they for skinny women, or voluptuous women, or no women, you have preferences. I don't take such preferences for physical attributes as "judgment", just like you should not interpret women's preferences for physical attributes in men as "judgment". Calling an entire sex "shallow" because it's members happen to have preferences at all is, however, highly judgmental.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:24 PM

6,987 posts, read 12,706,945 times
Again here's the question:

Why Do Women Prefer Tall Men?

Old 03-10-2009, 07:45 PM
miu

12,992 posts, read 21,788,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post

My personal preference is to have a man that I can see eye to eye with. Since I wear flat shoes all of the time, this translates into dating men that are the same height as I am. If I were to be a woman that wears high heels shoes (and most stylish dressed up women wear high heeled footwear) then I would prefer to date a man that I can see eye to eye with when I was wearing high heeled shoes... i.e. a tall man.

I feel that at 5'-7", I am of average height. And many of the shorter men I meet seem to have a chip on their shoulder about their height and it's their own negativity about their short height that is a turn off, not their physical shortness. One of my co-workers is a man that is shorter than I am, but he exudes confidence and is happy about life... he really has a great smile, and I feel that he doesn't have a problem finding a woman to date.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:56 AM

8,424 posts, read 23,816,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
First of all, I don't personally care who prefers whom. Obviously there are enough partners to go around for practically every type. I simply disputed another poster's assertion that men, as a general rule, do not prefer thin women. Who Mr. Cat actually finds attractive makes absolutely no difference to me.

Second, I haven't seen any posts comparing short men to obese people or lepers. (Incidentally, what would be wrong with that? Are you, perchance, saying that obese people or lepers aren't datable? Oops.) I suspect you may have dug through my posts and found one where I stated that the willingness to date someone has nothing to do with respect to that person; and I said that I could very much respect an obese leper yet would not dream of getting in bed with one. How in the world you construed that statement as judgmental is mystifying to me -- I was saying just the opposite, that declining to date someone does not necessarily represent a judgment of one's character, to say nothing of judging an entire gender. Apart from that, please demonstrate some proof that the majority of women on this site compare short men to obese lepers.

Third, I cannot fathom where you got the idea that I judge most men. I don't even know what you mean. Height? Most men are taller than me, so this is simply nonsense. Preferences? Everyone's got them. You have your own, don't you -- be they for skinny women, or voluptuous women, or no women, you have preferences. I don't take such preferences for physical attributes as "judgment", just like you should not interpret women's preferences for physical attributes in men as "judgment". Calling an entire sex "shallow" because it's members happen to have preferences at all is, however, highly judgmental.
Touching a short man will not make my fingers fall off.

I don't think you can compare that. We are are shallow. Its just to what degree. Everyone needs to stop lying to themselves about that crap too.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:00 AM

8,424 posts, read 23,816,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post

- steal his jeans (short guys inseams don't fit me lengthwise)
- big dog personality more common. (like how a large dog will be mellow and a small dog...well scrappy doo .)
- fend off tempted suitors
- tall as to not tower over him in dress shoes. You know I have heard other guys make fun of short guys for this. So its not just the females.
- Who the hell else is going to get things off the top shelf for me. My cat is to fat to jump and I am to short to reach. Cant go shopping in 5'' heels all the time! LOL

Old 03-11-2009, 07:00 AM

5,097 posts, read 10,000,689 times
I'm five feet tall. I don't prefer tall men, because I don't think that 5'8" to 5'10" is that tall. Of course, I prefer men who are a bit taller than me, but that's not unusual.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:22 AM

3,486 posts, read 3,311,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Touching a short man will not make my fingers fall off.
Touching a leper probably won't either. *Shrug* Most people are naturally immune.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:42 AM

7,262 posts, read 8,279,636 times
Ok, being 6'1" and always in heels, I had to respond to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
- steal his jeans (short guys inseams don't fit me lengthwise)
Not all tall guys have longer inseams! My father is taller than me, but yet he has a rather short inseam. Me at 36" and my father is only 30/32". So just because a dude is tall, it doesn't mean you'll be swapping jeans.

Quote:
- big dog personality more common. (like how a large dog will be mellow and a small dog...well scrappy doo .)
Yeah, I'd somewhat agree with this.

Quote:
- fend off tempted suitors
Shorter guys can do this too. When my husband and I would go clubbing, most men didn't know we were together because of the height difference, but he had no problems making the men disappear apologetically. [I most definitely married an alpha male.]

Quote:
- tall as to not tower over him in dress shoes. You know I have heard other guys make fun of short guys for this. So its not just the females.
I'd say it's quite the opposite. My husband always got props for being with a much taller chick.

Quote:
- Who the hell else is going to get things off the top shelf for me. My cat is to fat to jump and I am to short to reach. Cant go shopping in 5'' heels all the time! LOL
That's what tall chicks are for.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:42 PM

526 posts, read 1,247,464 times
Tall for me...for all the reasons Chessiemom said.

I am 5'6 and would like somone at least 6ft.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:23 PM

3,585 posts, read 6,460,107 times
I dated a woman 3" taller than me without much problems. However, it is far different dancing slowly with a taller woman than one shorter than you. I believe the young lady would have preferred that I was taller, but she never said that in word or action.

But, it seems like most of the posters are not answering the question: Why do women prefer tall men?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.