Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:56 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,687,196 times

Advertisements

It depends...if I have said something mean or hurtful or way out of line....yes, I apologize(my bad)...if I say something truthful and your feelings get hurt then I am sorry that your feelings are hurt but I am not sorry for what I said(perhaps for HOW I said it... my bad again)
I learned long ago to hold my tongue....then this last year came this insane perimenopause pms crap...I kiss a lot of a$$!

Then there are amends....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 10:23 PM

515 posts, read 1,329,953 times
I always apologize if I am in the wrong. There's no point in arguing against someone when I know in my heart I'm wrong.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:26 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,720 times
When I was young, I had a hard time with this. Actually, my son, at a very young age, was able to say this with sincerity, and I learned a lot from him, and still do (though he is a full adult now). So once I learned to say it, I actually enjoy saying it if I have to. There is a tremendous freedom in letting go. But I have to admit - maybe because I've learned much through my own mistakes - I don't have a reason to say it anymore. I also have learned to let the other person be the a--hole. Then I can just walk away, as long as I'm not the a--hole.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:54 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,269 times
There are those that have to be the final word on a subject, case closed, you need look no further for information as I am the utmost authority on this subject.

Personally if I offend this person..........oh freaken well!

Perspective makes the world go round, everyone has an opinion and if your fragile ego can't make room for an opposing view point then maybe your not worth keeping as a friend.

On black and white issues if I'm wrong I say so. Point blank, I was so wrong, I don't know what the H I was thinking. Hope you can overlook my screw up.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:18 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Perspective makes the world go round, everyone has an opinion and if your fragile ego can't make room for an opposing view point then maybe your not worth keeping as a friend.
This is not about having a fragile ego. If I'm doing something wrong, I expect my friends to tell me, even if it's not something I wanna hear. But people are entitled to a certain amount of respect from their friends. And if a friend can't be big enough to admit they're wrong or apologize, that speaks volume about their character.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:47 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
I apologize when I know I've unilaterally transgressed.

When a person has a history of gratuitous faux-pas where I've been the recipient, I find it hard to apologize and usually have cut the person off. I find that it works better.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:15 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I once had a friend who had so little self-esteem, that she was constantly apologizing. I "trained" her to, instead of saying "I'm sorry", to say "I'm better than that". I think it had quite a positive effect.

Knowing exactly when and how to apologize is like a pitch coming 95 miles an hour, and you don't always hit a line drive.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:18 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
sincere apology is a promise to do better. changing our defaults of character is painful and most find it easier to move on than improve the relationships we already have. package deal of the throw-away society, throw-away relationships.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:05 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
sincere apology is a promise to do better. changing our defaults of character is painful and most find it easier to move on than improve the relationships we already have. package deal of the throw-away society, throw-away relationships.
I agree. If you can't own up to your faults or make an effort to change them when you see the impact that they're having on your relationships, then obviously the relationship isn't important enough to you to bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships