Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:10 AM

37,462 posts, read 45,679,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
High Maintenance woman here. I'd add to this thread...but I need to get a spa pedicure.
For what it's worth, I surely don't consider a pedicure to be high maintenance. Anyone that has had a pedicure, knows that it's way more than someone painting your toenails.

I seem to only get them a couple of times a year, but I would go more often if I could find the darn time!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 08:24 AM

54,477 posts, read 33,779,805 times
Quote:
Men - what does "high maintenance woman" mean to you?
High maintenance woman - Hmmm.. does that mean it's a woman that requires oil and filter changes, tune-ups, overhauls, cleaning and waxing, more often?

I know I'm being silly here, but there's some truth to that - If the woman you're with requires more maintenace than your automobile, then that's definitely a high-maintenance woman..

Old 03-16-2009, 08:31 AM

331 posts, read 1,382,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Yes, it is a matter of opinion, and I meant no slight to anyone at all, but any woman I have known has taken much longer to be able to go out the door than it takes me. My view is admittedly skewed as I am from Manhattan, where many women do take great pains with their appearance and fashion. For me, it's not so much societal influences as experiential influences that have characterized my point of view. That's the perspective from which I was stating my opinion, with no malice or derision expressed or implied for those ladies who are able to look good without much fuss.

One other thing to consider is that just because a woman may have a good deal of money, or access to a good deal of money, does not make her materialistic, since materialism is when one is consumed by money and posessions. There's a difference between having expensive things and having to have expensive things, or the appearance of money. To my mind, that's more materialism, which may or may not be intertwined with being higher maintenance.
Ok, i can understand how you can form your opinion because of where you live, and didn't think you were personally taking about anyone in particular.
But i still do believe that society, and fahsion and such has a lot to do with it. If not, most women wouldn't spend all that time primping, going through their wardrobe, makeup, etc., etc., etc.,

Maybe i can clarify why i said what i did. Every HM woman i have ever known, or seen are completely obsessed with money, and possessions.
the other stuff i don't consider HM quite as much, because i have known many women that spend so much time on all that stuff that i could have been where we were going and back 10 times by the time they are done

Old 03-16-2009, 11:58 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,470,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homlish560 View Post
Well why can't the Trophy Wives get a job and pay for their high-maintenance lifestyles with their own moola?????
I agree with this, HOWEVER...

Quote:
Originally Posted by homlish560 View Post
Women are paid about as equally as the men these days, they have just as much opportunity to get good jobs and pay for their lavish needs ----------
This is different than say, 30 or more years ago when the pay scale was tipped unfavorably against women. Times have changed.
THAT statement is utter crap. Women STILL only make 70 cents to the dollar to do the SAME job at the SAME level as a man.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:02 PM

37,462 posts, read 45,679,521 times
Quote:
One other thing to consider is that just because a woman may have a good deal of money, or access to a good deal of money, does not make her materialistic, since materialism is when one is consumed by money and posessions. There's a difference between having expensive things and having to have expensive things, or the appearance of money. To my mind, that's more materialism, which may or may not be intertwined with being higher maintenance.
Excellent point, and very true.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:15 PM

28,843 posts, read 30,103,864 times
Quote:
Emotional high maintenance is a turn-off to be sure; however, in the aesthetic sense of the term, there is nothing wrong with someone who takes pride in their appearance and puts forth the time and effort to look great. For some, this may be more involved, but from a guy's perspective, just about any woman could be classified as high mainteanance since they have to style their hair, etc. much more frequently. Few ladies are able to jump out of the shower and run and look halfway presentable, something that many guys are able to do. Thus, I don't mind high maintenance in that sense, provided it's healthy and not channeled into a negative sense where it becomes more of a personality disorder.
taking pride in your appearance is a good thing, but obsession with label clothes, etc..is certainly high maintenance, then there is also emotional high maintenance, where the women could destroy a man....

Old 03-16-2009, 12:16 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,628,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I think high maintenance is less to do with grooming than being demanding emotionally. I don't think HM grooming and bing HM emotionally always go hand-in-hand either. There's plenty of plain janes who are emotionally draining.
Men can be very high maintenance also. I've seen sooo many men pout when their wives wants to go somewhere without them, and things along those lines.

Basically, it's people who require a lot, in excess of what is reasonable, be it material or emotional.
I agree with you! I knew of a few real high maintenance women. They were never happy! So you are right, it is an emotional problem too!Most were also spoiled by wealthy parents as children also! They have no value for a dollar!

Old 03-16-2009, 12:25 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,628,245 times
Most of the time HM=Gold/digger!

Old 03-16-2009, 12:28 PM

13,783 posts, read 26,200,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzgrl View Post
I agree with you! I knew of a few real high maintenance women. They were never happy! So you are right, it is an emotional problem too!Most were also spoiled by wealthy parents as children also! They have no value for a dollar!
I see more women living hand to mouth that are high maintenance than women that are wealthy and can afford it.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:46 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,534,662 times
Well, based on some of the definitions I read, my wife is a very low maintenance lady.

She is a stay at home mom so we live on one income. However, she has found ways to raise our kids with one income, have a comfortable life with what we have, somehow she found ways for our kids to go to college with pretty much very little spening on our part.

She is an expert on coupon savings.

A few years ago we had to have some borrowing but in less than 5 years somehow she surprised me by telling me we havea a surplus of $25K on the bank when I was getting ready to retire from the military as a startup into civilian life.

I ended up getting extended beyond my 30 years of service and she is somehow making sure we are remodeling parts of the house, paid cash for a new car and she is still saving money.

I am very proud of her. I do not interfere with her money management effciency because she is doing great.

I get my allowance and she takes care of the rest. She does tell me what are her plans and asks for my opinion but usually I have no desire to go against her opinion because it has made a lot of sense. On a couple of occasions she has followed my suggestions but generally she is right on the money.

This does not mean we are all raggedy looking and starving because she deprive us of thing to save money. She has done all this despite so many military moves across the nation and overseas. I must say that in the darkest moments of my life in the Gulf I have never had any worries if I end up checking out of this life. I knew she will take good care of our kids. She has pretty much dragged our home somewhere by herself as I am doing my duty away. Wherever we have moved, she made sure to make it a home where I want to go to at the end of the day or after a long deployment.

When she hear people complaining that they can't make it with one income or women complaining home care is boring she simply says she wishes they talk to her and show them how to take care of a family and she is proud of that. She does not feel she is doing a demeaing job at all. I have asked her if she has any desire to find a job and her response is that she has the best job in the world, take care of her children and her husband. That is why my top priority is to take care of that great women.

She does keep us well clothed, fed, and happy.

I picked a great woman for a wife.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships