Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 06:50 AM

331 posts, read 1,384,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG1951 View Post
Does it happen quickly and easily, or does it take time? Do you think it's different if you meet them in forums as opposed to just contact by email?

For me, trust takes time. I don't think that trust is something that you can establish in a few weeks of emailing or IMing with someone, especially if you haven't been able to move that to talking on the phone, or even meeting in person. Do you even trust a person after meeting them once? Or does it take more than one meeting to know that the person you've met online is the same person in reality?

I think it would still take months, and building that relationship over time to establish full trust. I might be totally open with that person, and love them without hesitation, especially if I met them in forums. I'm so open on here that it would be hard not to give that person even more openness. But does it mean that trust is 100% established? Can we ever trust another 100%? I believe I can, but that level of trust would definitely take time.

So...what would happen if you suddenly lost communication with them? If they disappeared completely without any explanation and you didn't hear from them for several days? Would you still be able to trust them during that time? Would you have blind faith in someone you only knew online if that happened? And would you trust them when they returned with an explanation? Would there ever be a good enough explanation for this? How long do you think it would take before you did lose trust and faith?

Please, share your opinions on this matter.
I can say that yes, it does take time to build up trust. I've met several people online that i later met in person. I even met my wife online. After being hurt more than once, it took a lot more time for me to be fully trusting, and wonder if this would be another one that was stringing me along, only to have something else going without telling me so. Thankfully though, she was the first one that was 100% honest about her feelings for me. (i would find out after we were married she fell in love with me at first type LOL) Anyway, we spent around a year talking both online, and on the phone, and if she wasn't going to be around for some reason and she knew ahead of time, she always told me. If it just happened unexpectedly, she would tell me the next time she talked to me. So back to the story, we spent about a year traveling back and forth seeing each other in person (we lived 500 miles apart), then in Janauary 2005 i moved in with her, and in July 2005 we married. We have had some ups and downs, but overall it's been great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,211 times
Yes. I too agree that it takes time. Well, you know there are sexual predetors out there .... either men or woman. I`m not saying you shouldn`t trust that "Certain Person" you've met online but still just keep it in mind(: My mom told me when I was about 11 years old to never trust any of my online friend. (I played A LOT of online games.... Call of Duty, Black Ops, Homefront, Assasin's Creed, World of Warcraft, etc... So it was hard to believe her beacuse I thought I knew them so well.) There really wasn't anything I could do about it so, I just had to let it go. My mom didn't even trust her online friends for 5 YEARS!!!! If you've met someone online don't be "Too Eager" to trust them so fast. As for Adults, Invite them to get coffee, of dinner... Get to know eachother first BEFORE you share feelings or personal things with them.

Please just be careful out there!
Good Luck!(:

Old 03-24-2011, 09:33 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,939 times
I dont believe, there are too much cheat on the internet!!!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:36 PM

37,610 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Oh geez...I just realized how old this thread is.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:03 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
So...what would happen if you suddenly lost communication with them? If they disappeared completely without any explanation and you didn't hear from them for several days? Would you still be able to trust them during that time? Would you have blind faith in someone you only knew online if that happened? And would you trust them when they returned with an explanation? Would there ever be a good enough explanation for this? How long do you think it would take before you did lose trust and faith?

Well, that's the question I'm asking myself about a young woman I met on USC and who I care deeply for (if ever she reads this...), sometimes she doesn't give any sign for days an end, on the other hand I know she is extremely busy.
Besides, she gave me her private phone number, which is I acknowledge a big proof of trust, and told me I could call her whenever I felt like it, but I just don't want to intrude, so basically I have to wait for her mails (she contacts me too thru MSN Messenger). I trust her completely, the only thing, I regret she doesn't text me as often as I 'd wish she'd do....
Have you stopped to consider that maybe she is hoping you will actually PHONE her? She wouldn't have given you her number if she wasn't going to welcome speaking with with you.

By the way, I met a man online twelve years ago. We have been happily married for eleven years, a second marriage for both of us. Wasn't easy because he's British and was living in the UK, while I was living in Arizona. But we built up trust and then spent a year "courting" which included numerous flights for in-person visits

Old 03-24-2011, 10:41 PM

420 posts, read 877,740 times
When whatever they say matches what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships