Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you call your female friend/best friend? [most often]
My friend 14 37.84%
My best friend 8 21.62%
My girlfriend 11 29.73%
Other 3 8.11%
I don't have female friends 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 07:33 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I don't think she was implying that, I guess she just assumed since I said "girlfriend" I meant a platonic friend.

I won't clarify what the term means to me but it won't be some big secret when we get there that I am with my girlfriend. I guess maybe this particular massage therapist is not used to having same-sex couples come in since her first assumption was that I had a husband. I would have preferred her not have made any assumptions and just asked what type of couples massage: hot stone, deep tissue, thai, etc and not, "Oh, you and your husband?"

You could have easily nipped this in the bud by replying "no, me and my partner. Her name is __________".

Enjoy your massage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 07:53 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
I've always used the word girlfriends to describe my female freinds, and I'd like to add, that during the course of my life, I've been blessed in having the girlfriends I've had.

Some of them are still in my life, While others, have come and gone, as we've had to follow our dreams, or they've passed away...but, all in all, I've been blessed with the kind of girlfriends that God would be very proud of.

I've always considered myself a rebel of sorts, and presently can't help but smile when I think of these angels who touched my life in such a positive ways. Perhaps He was trying to tell me something?

I don't believe there is a stronger bond, then the ones you make with your girl friends, while thinking of Steel Magnolias, or Green Fried Tomatoes I must say, this thread gives me the opportunity to say to all those women who were positive influences in my life...
Thank you, with all my heart.

Creme

Old 03-19-2009, 06:57 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Your sexuality is a part of who you are, but ask your self this; are you a lesbian first and a human being second, or third, or fourth, etc.? Your sexuality does not define you as a person, and if it does, then be prepared to live a life of frustration. Unless someone is using your sexuality to discriminate against you, to heck with what they say.

And, if you do not like the reference that this woman used towards you, why don't you take your business elsewhere?
Good point but since I live in AR, it's pretty rare to find someone who would use gender neutral terms because they are aware that gays and lesbians exist and think it's important to use gender neutral language.

I know I'm a human being second but living in AR and sometimes feeling like a targeted group, I just have a heightened sense of awareness when it comes to things like this. I bet the woman probably didn't mean it in a rude way but it can be annoying when everyone assumes you're straight and married.
Depending on how we're treated, it will affect if we'll go back to her. One massage place we went to treated us really nice and they knew we were a couple. They invited us to come back again and get some pedicures done together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
You could have easily nipped this in the bud by replying "no, me and my partner. Her name is __________".

Enjoy your massage!
Eh...I hate the word partner for the most part.
Plus my girlfriend and I aren't in the stage in our relationship where we say partner. I generally see that as a term same-sex couples use when they've been together for say...5+ years or so.

In any case, thanks for the replies.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:08 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times
I call him my best friend. If they dont catch the "him" part, big deal. My best friend is a guy, and there are no females in the picture.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:15 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,573 times
Quote:

So ladies, what do you call your female friend or female best friend?
I don't really like "titles". Rather using their names.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:28 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
I usually say friend, unless i want to specifically indicate the gender of my friend. I was just telling someone today that I was going with my "girlfriend" and our kids somewhere this weekend. I am not sure why as I don't use the term girlfriend very often, but I do use it sometimes (I'm 33 btw, don't know how old you are but I don't call 33 old)

Quote:
Eh...I hate the word partner for the most part.
Plus my girlfriend and I aren't in the stage in our relationship where we say partner. I generally see that as a term same-sex couples use when they've been together for say...5+ years or so.
I understand your dislike of the word partner, but unfortunately for you "girlfriend" said by a woman kind of is in use already to describe a "girl" "friend" and if you choose to go with the word girlfriend you are gonna have some 'splainin to do, if you want people to understand you.

Gay men don't have this problem because you never find men saying, "Hey, I'm going to my boyfriend's house tomorrow".

I have a feeling when you and your girlfriend show up, the receptionist might realize that she shouldn't make assumptions.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:31 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,634 times
Im a guy, but I voted. I closed my eyes and pretended I was a girl, and just clicked!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:33 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I call her "she-she"

Old 03-19-2009, 09:34 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,012,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I call her she-she
I call her hers......

Old 03-19-2009, 09:41 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
You are a dude? Could have fooled me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
Im a guy, but I voted. I closed my eyes and pretended I was a girl, and just clicked!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships