Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:17 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,329,722 times

Advertisements

When I was a teen/20s, I always knew a girl or guy who ALWAYS had a boyfriend/girlfriend. I was never such a person.

Now, I’m one of the last guys from my university graduation year or childhood friends’ circle who is unmarried.

I wonder why I was the type who usually was single… the last official girlfriend I had was 4 years ago (although I was introduced to OR met OR dated OR got intimate with several women then).

Why are some single and some taken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 01:20 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
Choice.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
best post i ever heard on CDF, and if you are listening please identify yourself ----said that
when he was in school good guys had trouble even getting a date must less a steady girfriend
the dirt bags had to fight the women off.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:25 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
How do you know the women are of high quality? You don't know what goes on behind closed doors.

Remember like people attract to each other. I find that a lot of people do not attract to me because I am unlike them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
When I was a teen/20s, I always knew a girl or guy who ALWAYS had a boyfriend/girlfriend. I was never such a person.

Now, I’m one of the last guys from my university graduation year or childhood friends’ circle who is unmarried.

I wonder why I was the type who usually was single… the last official girlfriend I had was 4 years ago (although I was introduced to OR met OR dated OR got intimate with several women then).

Why are some single and some taken?

Old 03-20-2009, 01:26 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,329,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
How do you know the women are of high quality? You don't know what goes on behind closed doors.
High quality or not isn't the issue. You and I both know that there are both great people and 2-legged scum who are not single.

I was alluding to people being taken OR being single, regardless of how ethical or lovely their character.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:28 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
I don't get your point..........explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
High quality or not isn't the issue. You and I both know that there are both great people and 2-legged scum who are not single.

I was alluding to people being taken OR being single, regardless of how ethical or lovely their character.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:33 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,865,527 times
First off, marriage these days is overrated. We have one of the highest divorce rates in the world. Chances are, most people rush into marriage without knowing the other person or realizing that marriage is all about making sacrifices.

When it comes to men, being single is all about how proactive you are. Any dude can get a girl if he tries. You probably haven't had any luck simply because you aren't proactive about it. When was the last time you gave a girl your myspace/facebook profile? When was the last time you went on a date? When was the last time you flirted with a girl?

Most women these days won't ask men out for dates or anything like that. If a girl likes a guy she simply makes herself available to him (ie. showing up during random times, always talking to him and so on). It is just like getting a job. If you don't ever put in your resume for the position you have zero chance of ever getting the job. It is the exact same thing for dating. If you don't ever talk to girls, ask them out or give them your phone number/myspace/facebook then you'll never get anyone.

My advice is to streamline the process using facebook/myspace. When you see a hot chick, go make a short conversation (5-10 mins or less) and then when you leave give her your facebook/myspace. Then tell her to add you as a friend. Do this as much as possible. Some will add you, some won't. If they add you generally it is a sign that they like you and if anything it shows that you made a good first impression. If any of them have, "in relationship" on their profile, just pass on them. No point applying for a position that is already filled. Once she has added you then it becomes very easy to make a private conversation with her. At that point I would highly recommend setting up some sort of date - movie, dinner, or my favorite, "Want to watch a movie at my place?"

Myspace/facebook is one of the best dating tools out there if used effectively. It makes it very easy to screen out people who are unavailable, have kids, in relationships or any other red flags you can find through their profiles.

Last edited by killer2021; 03-20-2009 at 01:44 PM..

Old 03-20-2009, 01:38 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
I knew a number of women that 'always' had a boyfriend, and a few guys who 'always' had a girl around but I think their motives were different. In most of cases I saw, the parties were attractive, the men sought physical companionship, while the women seemed to seek emotional support and self validation. I dont think either case was entirely healthy. Some time out of a 'relationship' is not a bad thing.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:49 PM

602 posts, read 2,033,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
When it comes to men, being single is all about how proactive you are. Any dude can get a girl if he tries. You probably haven't had any luck simply because you aren't proactive about it. When was the last time you gave a girl your myspace/facebook profile? When was the last time you went on a date? When was the last time you flirted with a girl?
What if you're "proactive" and it still doesn't get you anywhere?

Old 03-20-2009, 01:53 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,217,616 times
Some are single because they love themselves more than they can ever love somebody else, and are not willing to sacrifice anything, some people are just very career driven. Some people are always taken, because theyre needy and very codependent ON others. Some guys are taken not by choice, but because they left a girl pregnant, and handled their responsibilty as a man!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships