Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 10:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times

Advertisements

like pouring squid ink on a shark.
women crave the appearance of confidence, high self esteem is a giant woman magnet. has nothing to do with character at all but nobody said life is fair. since self esteem is pretty much fixed in formative years there is nothing you can do about this, very often nice guys are not high self esteem men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 10:39 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
A joke is a joke and thats always attractive to me but I can always spot a practiced approach, one that guys use to put me at my ease so they can get something from me.

Its sort of like watching Animal Planet and you can see a cheetah for example go through certain patterns in finding and taking down prey. Men who are trying to get something from me act the same way. Guys who are looking for someone to take care of them, looking for someone to sleep with that kind of thing.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:47 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,429,291 times
I dont like it really but I wouldnt blow you off for it

Old 03-29-2009, 10:56 PM

657 posts, read 1,599,789 times
as mentioned above, moderation is key. some can be funny, but too much portrays compliment-fishing and/or self esteem issues.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:20 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,427,891 times
I have a friend who is constantly talking about his bad luck with women and saying he's never going to get a girlfriend. I dont know if he thinks its humorous or what. I just feel sorry for the guy. But I'm not attracted to that kind of talk.

On the other hand the other day someone mentioned being a bad lay here in CD and I thought it was so honest. I like that, so long as he doesnt start whining about never getting any women. Cus thats not my problem, buddy.

A few comments are good, shows a man is grounded. A whole list of comments is not funny though.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:31 AM

82 posts, read 235,591 times
If it's said in a funny away and not a "poor me" way, I think it's fine. Everyone needs to laugh at themselves and nobody's perfect. Sometimes if I guy seems way over confident and doesn't make any jokes about himself it's a real turn off for me. Self confidence if fine, but arrogance is not.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:53 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
Use with caution.
I know by experience that my attempts at self-deprecating humour were more than once pisconstrued as lack of self-esteem.
But sometimes it can be objectively witty : recently I sent a girl a picture of myself doing the jackass with the subtitle "ugly & stupid" (she knows I'm neither ...)

Old 03-30-2009, 07:00 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,258 times
Default Self-depricating humor

No, I don't think its bad to poke fun at yourself in general. My late husband use to say..."I love my picture taken but my nose is the first thing that enters the picture"....He did have a big nose but it was part of what gave him character..the nose and the ability to laugh at himself. A steady diet of it might grow old just like a steady diet of any off beat humor would.

I find that having an ability to accept your weak points as well as your strong points is not a character flaw...it is a gift.

Example....for years and years now, I have had on again off again back issues..back aches and stuff. I never said too much to the doctor about them but finally at age 61 I did. I told my doctor that I felt the reason my back hurt was because for years and years I have been carrying around a BIG BUTT and I think because of the force of gravity and old age...my BUTT is finally pulling my back off! We both had a good laugh

Old 03-30-2009, 08:38 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,693,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
A joke is a joke and thats always attractive to me but I can always spot a practiced approach, one that guys use to put me at my ease so they can get something from me.

Its sort of like watching Animal Planet and you can see a cheetah for example go through certain patterns in finding and taking down prey. Men who are trying to get something from me act the same way. Guys who are looking for someone to take care of them, looking for someone to sleep with that kind of thing.
Absolutely. A witty man who can make me genuinely laugh is very attractive. A salesman practicing his act turns me off.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:45 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
As long as what your saying doesn't come off as asking for compliments, it would be ok.

I, myself, would cringe at the idea that I have to knowingly spend the evening building up your ego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships