Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 11:47 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,202 times

Advertisements

I was reading an article in PsychologyToday (an older issue) that spoke of the romantic relationships between men & women & how usually, the one who loves least has the most "power" within the relationship (e.g. "the upper hand") and that some relationships have a D/s (dominant-submissive) role to them that correlates back to who loves more/least. I'm not referring to D/s in reference to BDSM by the way.

What do you think? Do you believe that relationships between men & women can truly be egalitarian or is there always going to be one (man or woman) who was the "upper hand"?

Please share, I'm really interested in this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 11:54 PM

670 posts, read 2,113,872 times
I think it would depend upon what relationship theory you subscribe to. One of the books I read lately, "Why Him? Why Her?" by Helen Fisher describes 4 personality types: Explorers, Builders, Directors,and Negotiators. She theorizes that explorers gravitate to other explorers, builders to other builders, and directors towards negotiators and vice versa. This last relationship set might have something to do with what you're reading about because Directors are more intellectually focused and looking for mind mates and Negotiators are nurturers, very giving and looking for soul mates. Therefore, if you subscribe to this theory, than I would assume that negotiators may love their director mates more because they tend to love more deeply in general, and directors, because they are more direct and forthright, may make more decisions in the relationship and take charge of things.

Last edited by shania; 03-26-2009 at 12:07 AM..

Old 03-25-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shania View Post
I think it would depend upon what relationship theory you subscribe to. One of the books I read lately, "Why Him? Why Her?" by Helen Fisher describes 4 personality types: Explorers, Builders, Directors,and Negotiators. She theorizes that explorers gravitate to other explorers, builders to other builders, and directors towards negotiators and vice versa. This last relationship set might have something to do with what you're reading about because Directors are more intellectually focused and looking for mind mates and Negotiators are nurturers, very giving and looking for soul mates. Therefore, if you subscribe to this theory, than I would assume that negotiators may love their director mates more because they tend to love more deeply in general, and directors because they are more direct and forthright, may make more decisions in the relationship and take charge of things.

I think I'm more along the lines of a Negotiator...hmm...what could that mean?

Old 03-26-2009, 12:03 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,687,091 times
I want to know why you know to D/s <---not many people do

Old 03-26-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueprnova View Post
I want to know why you know to D/s <---not many people do
Huh? That's what the article said...it referenced D/s to BDSM & I took it out of a context & put it in a perspective of personalities (e.g. dominant personality/submissive personality). I don't mean it to be in a sexual manner? I hope this helped.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:12 AM

670 posts, read 2,113,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
I think I'm more along the lines of a Negotiator...hmm...what could that mean?
According to her theory, negotiators are creative, romantic, passionate, giving, want to please even if it means putting their needs second, expect a sexual relationship to develop from a sexual encounter, will stay single for years rather than be with the wrong person, are web thinkers, see the big picture but often have problems with the details, are nonjudgmental, tolerant, etc. She theorizes they have more estrogen in their brains and that makes them more interested in connections with others.

There's more but that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:12 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
You know, I realize that life is politics, but I just don't care for political approaches in matters of the heart. I think a person who actively seeks the upper hand in a relationship is toxic and should be avoided at all costs.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:14 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,797,177 times
For sure CPG it needs to be a partnership to work!

Old 03-26-2009, 08:41 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,537,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, I realize that life is politics, but I just don't care for political approaches in matters of the heart. I think a person who actively seeks the upper hand in a relationship is toxic and should be avoided at all costs.
I agree. What a bunch if BS.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:45 AM

838 posts, read 1,875,717 times
I've never liked putting people and/or relationships into a finite number of categories. (Such as the thread about the zodiac.) Same thing with this study. There are as many different kinds of relationships as there are relationships.

And, how the heck do you quantify who loves who more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships