Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 10:48 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I think the boyfriend needs to be put out in a field somewhere with a bullet through his head.

Only if the dog could pull the trigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 11:20 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Yes this is common where I live now as well and very disturbing. It's the good old boy mentality, considered to be very the norm but I feel shooting a dog is very inhumane. There are other ways of "putting a dog down" if need be.
Well, hang on. Most farmers are not broken out with money, my aunt and uncle included. What you're saying is that they should shell out a couple of hundred bucks to put down a dog in a nice, antiseptic veterinarian's office when a 10¢ bullet will do the same thing--all to satisfy some finicky ideal on the right way a dog can be put down. If done correctly, death for the animal in both cases is virtually instantaneous.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:21 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,258 times
Default Culture Shock

I have never trusted anyone who can talk so wretchedly about animals and has no understanding what an abused animal goes through and what the abuse does to them. If your ex could so easily say he would take the animal out in a field and shoot it, then you are far better off without him. Anyone like him probably has no use for children either so be very suspicious of someone like him.

Not all country folk are like him or his friends. I lived for 12 years in Northern Maine and never, ever heard anyone in the tiny town I lived in talk poorly about animals or want to just shoot them if the animal didn't behave as they saw fit. There was something very wrong with this guy and probably most of his friends.

Don't back off from other country folk. They make the best friends and even though I have been away from Northern Maine for quite a few years now, I still keep in touch with the friends I made up there.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:24 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
I have never trusted anyone who can talk so wretchedly about animals and has no understanding what an abused animal goes through and what the abuse does to them. If your ex could so easily say he would take the animal out in a field and shoot it, then you are far better off without him. Anyone like him probably has no use for children either so be very suspicious of someone like him.

Not all country folk are like him or his friends. I lived for 12 years in Northern Maine and never, ever heard anyone in the tiny town I lived in talk poorly about animals or want to just shoot them if the animal didn't behave as they saw fit. There was something very wrong with this guy and probably most of his friends.

Don't back off from other country folk. They make the best friends and even though I have been away from Northern Maine for quite a few years now, I still keep in touch with the friends I made up there.
Well, I think the question here is what kind of "fits" is the dog having? I mean, is it just occasionally spazzing out or is it acting in a hostile manner? I just don't have that kind of information from the OP. I'm assuming, based on what the boyfriend says, that the dogs behavior is worrisome, not just a bit eccentric.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:27 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
What I got out of the OP's post is that the boyfriend is just mean.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:46 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,543,680 times
I love the country and I love country folk. The guy I mentioned was probably an extreme case, but there are some who think like him who aren't as arrogant and ignorant. Shoot a dog because it is terminally ill, I can accept that if that's the way they do it where they come from. Shoot a dog because it annoys you? There's an outhouse somewhere missing a turd.

There are other differences that take me aback as well, most have to do with etiquette. Spitting is one of them and there are people everywhere from all walks who spit, but there is a very distinct sound that comes from a souther spitter and it is like nails on a chalk board...lol. Still, there are others who make up for it. There aren't many men where I come from who will tip their hat, stand when I approach the table, open the door for me or say "yes ma'am". Though the latter made me feel old for a while, it is so endearing now.

I love me a Texas gentleman; the accent, the manners, the tight jeans, the cowboy hat, that big old belt buckle that makes just the right "clink" when it drops to the floor. How YOU doon, Papi?

Old 03-26-2009, 12:09 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,543,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, I think the question here is what kind of "fits" is the dog having? I mean, is it just occasionally spazzing out or is it acting in a hostile manner? I just don't have that kind of information from the OP. I'm assuming, based on what the boyfriend says, that the dogs behavior is worrisome, not just a bit eccentric.
She has chewed through two crates, one metal and one plastic. Once she was out, she was fine. So, I let her stay out, but she started digging at the wall by the front door. So, I put up a barrier so she couldn't get to the door, and she was fine.

It was problematic, but I knew she was damaged when I got her, and I was committed to giving her a good home and a good life. I completely understand someone not wanting to deal with that, but send her back to the shelter. Don't shoot her for Pete's sake. Bottom line, she wasn't his problem to deal with. So, there was no need for him to pump his chest over a dog that wasn't even his.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:17 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
I have dogs for herding. Cats for mousing near the house. I have rat snakes to keep the rats out of the silos. When these animals are part of doing business they cant be looked at as pets unless the get old and i retire them. If they get hurt so bad that the vet bill would be outrageous, they are going down. Its just business. A bullet is ALOT cheaper than a vet. If this bothers you, stay in the city.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:17 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,797,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I love the country and I love country folk. The guy I mentioned was probably an extreme case, but there are some who think like him who aren't as arrogant and ignorant. Shoot a dog because it is terminally ill, I can accept that if that's the way they do it where they come from. Shoot a dog because it annoys you? There's an outhouse somewhere missing a turd.

There are other differences that take me aback as well, most have to do with etiquette. Spitting is one of them and there are people everywhere from all walks who spit, but there is a very distinct sound that comes from a souther spitter and it is like nails on a chalk board...lol. Still, there are others who make up for it. There aren't many men where I come from who will tip their hat, stand when I approach the table, open the door for me or say "yes ma'am". Though the latter made me feel old for a while, it is so endearing now.

I love me a Texas gentleman; the accent, the manners, the tight jeans, the cowboy hat, that big old belt buckle that makes just the right "clink" when it drops to the floor. How YOU doon, Papi?

Old 03-26-2009, 12:22 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I've moved around quite a bit, going further south and west each time. I am originally a city girl but would now be happy living on a farm somewhere with my closest neighbor 5 miles away. I have been open to the differences in beliefs and attitudes, as they are generally friendlier than I was used to growing up. But there are just some things that still take me aback.

I'm finding this a lot where I live, from the natives. I have a dog with separation anxiety. I rescued her from a shelter and she was apparently abused before. At the time I was dating a guy who repeatedly told me how he wouldn't put up with her fits, he'd take her out in a field and put a bullet in her head. His cousin said the same thing when I met him and we discussed our pets. I eventually got tired of the guy I was dating saying this kind of stuff and told him so (and left him soon after for various reasons). But he couldn't believe that I would take the side of a dog over him. He was actually offended. I've heard other people say the same thing, mostly those who grew up in the country.

That's something I can't get past. Granted he was raised where dogs and cats ran wild, so they are not seen as pets the way a gal from the city would see them. Still, it's so callous to me.
People who are used to raising live stock are very "matter of fact" about animals. They tend not to develop emotional attachments. Animals are around for a purpose, whether it is food, or fiber or to do a job like protect the property or heard the sheep. When a dog ceases to do his job well, he becomes expendable because the job needs to be done and you cannot have something around that you feed that does not earn their keep. There is no place for animals that need to be "babied" or have emotional trauma. Either you pony up and do your job without complaint or you are "out of there".

Don't get me wrong, I love my pets. In fact, my two worthless cats have *yet* to yearn their keep ONCE. I keep them around because it pleases me to do so. Nevertheless, I recognize that not everyone feels the same way that I do about worthless pets. Especially country folk. It's just something you get used to after awhile, I guess.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships