Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 06:24 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,068,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I understand. I wasn't trying to be rude at all. It really is so very common.
I wasn't calling you rude or anything just that you could have done a better job reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 06:24 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sness88 View Post
Ok, so the reason I thought about asking this question is because my friend was talking about the tons of guys she's been with and how she didn't know how many of them had diseases or what not. She said she was going to get tested.

As for people spreading the word. I only went to that college for 1 semester and I wasn't well known and didn't talk to many people there so I highly doubt someone would spread rumors about me.

You seem to have some issue with me. Why do you have a negative attitude towards me?
Ahhhhh, don't worry about Nito - he's like that with everybody!!!

Old 03-26-2009, 07:13 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sness88 View Post
What if you had been dating someone for a while and found out they have the cold sore virus (I believe it's one of the herpes) but they hadn't had a cold sore in like 10+ years?

Would you be able to keep dating them? Would you ask them to get on medication? What if you loved them? Or does none of it matter?

What if they were like the most amazing person (physically, emotionally, mentally, intellectually, etc...) person you've ever met?

OR What if they told you when you first started dating?
Well, if you won't, you're eliminating something like 70% of the population from your choices for dating. Most people carry and shed the virus as a matter of routine. There are more people with the virus than without by far.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:47 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,037,773 times
You know, this post brings up things that I think about when I'm walking around in a mall or some other large buildings with a lot of people. I say to myself, out of all these people some of them have HIV, herpes, gonorrhea, crabs, or some other STD.

More or less, if you don't THINK about that kind of stuff your mind goes to a default and you never think about the person who you are talking to could actually have an STD.

Uhh, I wish I could see a database through my vision like Robocop and see everybody's medical reports if I looked at them. Yea, I know this is weird but I feel more comfortable thinking/talking about the unpleasant reality because the sure way to lose a battle is to be caught off guard.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:05 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,028 times
sness88, I don't mean this to sound sarcastic at all, but if most people were really aware of all the viruses - sexually transmitted or not - plus all the bacterial bugs and environmental toxins we are swimming in every day...our heads would spin & we'd never leave our homes!

A cold sore (herpes simplex 1) would be the LEAST of your worries. I spent one miserable term working in a lab during a med tech program. MRSA; E. coli; C-Diff...all are REALLY nasty & easy to catch. They are just 3 of dozens of infectious diseases and sicknesses that you can get from food, from water, from people, from the air, from objects frequently touched, etc. I watched a guy die in a hospital bed from a bug he most likely caught on his college campus - we were never able to find out for sure.

I'm not saying all this to scare you - more so to say that when you date, it's like anything else: be informed & protect yourself. Hopefully we stay healthy enough to keep our immune systems up & running. I am religious about washing my hands and truly believe that's your first line of defense against most viruses & bacterial infections; even herpes. (ie; you have a cold sore? don't subconsciously touch it in an attempt to cover it - then touch someone's hand - then they touch their mouth, etc....)

...sorry for the fillibuster...now go out and have some fun - yippee!

Old 03-26-2009, 08:12 PM

657 posts, read 1,599,467 times
alright.. one person says 90%, another says 75%, and yet another says 70% of people have the virus. does anyone have a REAL statistic with documentation to prove it? I know a lot of people carry the virus.. but what does a random number accomplish? nothing. you either have it or you don't.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:12 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
alright.. one person says 90%, another says 75%, and yet another says 70% of people have the virus. does anyone have a REAL statistic with documentation to prove it? I know a lot of people carry the virus.. but what does a random number accomplish? nothing. you either have it or you don't.
Whether it's 70, 75 or 90%, the point is the MAJORITY of people have this virus in their bodies - it's not something to be terrified of, there are MANY worse things out there.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:13 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J double R View Post
The 70% is the percentage of people who carry and shed the virus regularly according to my daughter's pedicatrician. I don't know how accurate that is but that's what he tells me. More have it but never shed the virus. My daughter has herpetic whitloe. She has repeated outbreaks and gets cold sores anywhere on her upper body. It's the same virus, spread the same way. It's just her immune system doesn't handle it well. People act like she has leprosy when she has an outbreak. Problem is the contagious period is actaully 7-10 days before an outbreak. Once she has sores, it's only communicable not contagious so, as long as you don't touch a broken blister and then touch your own mucus membranes, you're safe.

Fortunately, most of us develop some immunity to the virus once exposed. I breast fed her through her first two outbreaks and did not get any sores myself. She had them on her mouth, chin, neck, chest, hands and eyelids but I didn't get any. I get about one cold sore every 2-3 years. She gets them several times a year. She missed a piano competition because she had them on her fingers. They're really painful on her fingers because there are so many nerve endings in your fingers.

ANyway, the point is, we are, constantly, exposed to the herpes simplex I virus. There are 300 people in attendance in my church on any given Sunday. Odds have it 20 or more are shedding the virus each Sunday. My daughter is more likely than most to be one of them. Fortunately, you can't catch what she has. You have to be born with a predisposition for it. She inherited this from her grandfather who also had it.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:17 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
herpes.com says 50 to 80%

An Acclaimed Herpes Information Resource, www.herpes.com, Information About Sexually Transmitted Dieases (special attention to the Herpes virus)

Old 03-26-2009, 09:18 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,715,739 times
Yo mama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships